Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Deon, Myles, While I understand that tokai wants all the natural vegetation to grow back etc.

What are the possibilities of planting some of the natural vegetation like the silver leaf and proteas etc with the aid of the great okes at Kirstenbosch in getting the correct plants?seedlings and doing a mass plant on tokai? I know lots of money will be needed, but surely we can raise funds. I might even know one of the horticulturists at kirstenbosch. 

If this is possible, then tokai's rehabilitation will be greatly accelerated. Then instead of building new trails etc Tokai Mtb'rs can help in getting the flaura and fauna back then concentrate on maintenance of existing trails until such time where new ones can be put it.

Maybe planting next to the trails would be best so as to add a so called no go area/ green belt

Nearly forgot. Friends of Tokai - join..!  

Worth 10 tonnes in goodwill and is the channel for exactly what you suggest. Tony Rebelo runs the restoration programme for this area from there, no better place to get the scientific guidance and assist in restoration.  

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They Apparently discussed it earlier this week already. Watch this space.

Also apparently looking at something for the Jonkershoek guys.

mooi :thumbup:

Skollie is right. The seed bank holds a lot of excitement for the botanists.. hybridisation is the issue Eddy, even K'bosch has to collect their seeds from existing plants which have changed form over the years.

In 2011 I approached Table Mountain National Park and got approval to start collecting seeds for germination at Mt Pleasant in Rhodes Mem. As we got closer to the project, it was put on hold as Silvertree was starting sprout on their own in different locations. The controlled burns would have helped sprout faster but now in retrospect, burning after felling would have actually ended up killing off the endangered species with the recent fires. So no burning then is a blessing now. Fynbos needs minimum 8 years to seed between burns.

Fortunately the Tokai area manager heads up the planting programmes with Cecelia being the first. Two Oceans Marathon funds were donated through the Honorary Rangers and the project was quite successful but not exactly from a scientific angle.. Tokai is literally the last bastion for 'pure' fynbos but there also has to be some balance as recreation makes up one of the mandates.

We'll listen to TMNP's plans and be respectful in their immediate goals but at some point when conditions improve, will be needing their sympathy towards access too. We can help but they need time now to formulate plans and recoup some of their losses.

attachicon.gifCecilia-plantation-llustrated-vision.pdf

Hey Deon, I see there's a dam up there named after you...

10557237_558841940924837_767387565980210she bounces back bru. she must

Hope you don't mind but I have stolen this pic and shared on Facebook. Nature is amazing.

indeed as soon as it rains a little there will be alot more growth, I reckon in about 3 months there will be alot of greenery although it will be tiny

Hi, (insert name here...)...firstly, where is POS and what did you do to him....? And is this how we now address you or can I say INM? ;)

I have been away and just home for the weekend now and must say  have been following the tragic events in Cape Town from afar and have been almost brought to tears by the surge of public support for those who have volunteered to fight the fires! Also at the loss of property and wildlife as well as the life of that heroic chopper pilot (RIP).

With the closure of both Tokai and Jonkershoek to MTB, there is obviously going to be a lot of pressure on other trails and I'm sure stake holders are thinking about how that is going to be managed and I'm positive that in the end it will all work out and we will be back on the mountain blasting new trails very soon!

Anyhoo, all the regular Tokai guys are now out looking for alternate spots and I have one quick question: there is a trail running from Cecelia Forest entry at the top of Southern Cross Drive and Rhodes Drive parallel to Rhodes Drive through the cork forest to the next entrance to the mountain at the top of Hohenhort Drive...I believe there was debate about this trail earlier on the Hub...

so...is it legal for MTB?

And apart from Table Mountain town side (call it Town!) are there any other legal trails in the South...(call it Country!)?

Shot Deon! Special shout out to you and others doing their bit during the fire!

Black hill to red hill is still legal for mtb use as far as I can remember. No real singletrack just jeep track but better than nothing. constantia uitsig bike park has a small xc loop but bigger things possibly on the horizon...

Black hill to red hill is still legal for mtb use as far as I can remember. No real singletrack just jeep track but better than nothing. constantia uitsig bike park has a small xc loop but bigger things possibly on the horizon...

What would be cool is if someone in the know posts a list of alternative trails in the area....we all know about the Northern Suburbs, Paarl and Helderberg and further out-lying area but anything near Tokai would be great.....

Hi, (insert name here...)...firstly, where is POS and what did you do to him....? And is this how we now address you or can I say INM? ;)

I have been away and just home for the weekend now and must say have been following the tragic events in Cape Town from afar and have been almost brought to tears by the surge of public support for those who have volunteered to fight the fires! Also at the loss of property and wildlife as well as the life of that heroic chopper pilot (RIP).

With the closure of both Tokai and Jonkershoek to MTB, there is obviously going to be a lot of pressure on other trails and I'm sure stake holders are thinking about how that is going to be managed and I'm positive that in the end it will all work out and we will be back on the mountain blasting new trails very soon!

Anyhoo, all the regular Tokai guys are now out looking for alternate spots and I have one quick question: there is a trail running from Cecelia Forest entry at the top of Southern Cross Drive and Rhodes Drive parallel to Rhodes Drive through the cork forest to the next entrance to the mountain at the top of Hohenhort Drive...I believe there was debate about this trail earlier on the Hub...

so...is it legal for MTB?

And apart from Table Mountain town side (call it Town!) are there any other legal trails in the South...(call it Country!)?

Shot Deon! Special shout out to you and others doing their bit during the fire!

I *think* that that is part of the hoerikwagga trail. Not sure, but if it is then no its not legal for mtb unfortunately

Do not do Black Hill to Red Hill on your own - some hikers got mugged there this week.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE just open Old Wagontrail and Silvermine to mtbikers.

Whats the promblem?

(think before you answer)

(flame suite on)

Edited by porqui

I *think* that that is part of the hoerikwagga trail. Not sure, but if it is then no its not legal for mtb unfortunately

Hoerikwagga trail comes over from Orange Kloof to Constantia Nek and does not look like it includes this run...(disclaimer...I'm not in the know!)

post-35907-0-70538300-1426333524_thumb.jpg

The alternative would be to come and ride the Tygerberg MTB & Bottelary Hills trials till Tokai & Silvermine sorted. You will most likely need to come out this way by car though.