Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Guys please.

Raptor. I've been involved for enough time to know the workings of the system quite well. Truth is one cannot be on guard ALL the time and time meeting with them is better spent focussing on the issues at hand rather than gagging over a short term closure after a devastating fire. As you say, focus should be on working towards the timeframe of reopening. 18 months is fast track when you compare it to the 4 year projection of creating a world class facility. There are many more issues that affect the outcome of new trails than speeding up the closure. Many factors affect the trails, one of them being the change in landscape in a world heritage site, natural wonder, national reserve with red data list species needing conservation.

Some more understanding would be welcome.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. A tete a tete about tokai and I'm not in the thick of it... something must be wrong with this picture...

Raptor, quit it with the snide remarks and thinly veiled insults. It's just not conducive to progression, and is frankly childish.

I'm.actually surprised that Mark hasn't been more rude to you given your forum wide approach and attitude.

Guys please.

Raptor. I've been involved for enough time to know the workings of the system quite well. Truth is one cannot be on guard ALL the time and time meeting with them is better spent focussing on the issues at hand rather than gagging over a short term closure after a devastating fire. As you say, focus should be on working towards the timeframe of reopening. 18 months is fast track when you compare it to the 4 year projection of creating a world class facility. There are many more issues that affect the outcome of new trails than speeding up the closure. Many factors affect the trails, one of them being the change in landscape in a world heritage site, natural wonder, national reserve with red data list species needing conservation.

Well said Deon.

Guys please.

Thanks deon,

With knowledge comes understanding. Naturally the announced prospect of early access to Silvermine created excitement that is now disappointment. I fully appreciate the respect with which you have relayed your challenges. A diamond in the rough they say.

I'll direct my queries to you in future as the other fellow seems a bit nasty.

Thanks deon,

With knowledge comes understanding. Naturally the announced prospect of early access to Silvermine created excitement that is now disappointment. I fully appreciate the respect with which you have relayed your challenges. A diamond in the rough they say.

Yes it's all me, that's why you a're getting so much support.

Thanks deon,

It's easy to knock the efforts of some and never realize the repurcussion. You will be surprised how we are judged, your comment earlier being prime. I'm not surprised he reacted like he did.

Come on guys, play nicely!

Where's everyone riding these days now Tokai and Silvermine are out of commission, still spots to ride further out but the drive/fuel costs must get steep?

Come on guys, play nicely!

Where's everyone riding these days now Tokai and Silvermine are out of commission, still spots to ride further out but the drive/fuel costs must get steep?

Durbanville, stellenbosch, Paarl.

Contermans is fun, hoogekraal too.

But the fuel costs are a bit ouch to say the least so we normally try and get a few of us together to minimize the costs.

..bizarre how the events have conspired against mountain biking this year. Not only Tokai, but Jonkershoek and Welvanpas also going up in flames. Then to rub it in, Zuma conspires further and opens his mouth plunging the fuel price into uncharted territory. 

Really?

Edited by (Deon)

..bizarre how the events have conspired against mountain biking this year. Not only Tokai, but Jonkershoek and Welvanpas also going up in flames. Then to rub it in, Zuma conspires further and opens his mouth plunging the fuel price into uncharted territory. 

Really?

.....causing the rand to make like a submarine.....and bike prices to make like a rocket! :(

Just to get back on topic here, can someone tell me exactly where we stand, what progress has been made since the closure and what still needs to be done to make sure when Tokai opens again things can get going as soon as possible?

I was never one for hiking. But I loved my swim in the damn after riding up there. 

I'll wait till the end of the year. 

It's one HELLUVA loop, that's for sure. Taxing, yet rewarding. I'd rate it above the mast climb ito difficulty for sure. Mast is just a long slog on tar.