Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

Great stuff Craig! Also quite new to the running thing - "run"ning for about a year now.

Personally love the trails and k's just fly by so much easier, despite it being harder work with all the elevation to make the k's pass by. Enjoy it! 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominion, you're going to hurt yourself. Did the same thing within 2 weeks was doing 10k. Then the wheels fell off...well the legs started doing their own thing. Took about 4 months to recover and it hurt my cycling.

Rule of thumb for running, increase your distance max 10% per week, so you should be on about 2.4km now. As a cyclist it's not about your lungs.

I now run about 20km per week as a rule, helps with training when traveling on business...

^ What he said

I started off very cycle-fit and soon my physio and I got to know each other very well... It got to a point where she had me off the bike and not running for a week...

You can't seperate a man and his bike for a week :thumbdown:

Great stuff Craig! Also quite new to the running thing - "run"ning for about a year now.

Personally love the trails and k's just fly by so much easier, despite it being harder work with all the elevation to make the k's pass by. Enjoy it! 

Ja I haven't done much road running, but I would imagine trail running's more fun than running on road. I think it's something I could enjoy. Will still enter bike events, but maybe add one or two trail runs each month as well.

Ja I haven't done much road running, but I would imagine trail running's more fun than running on road. I think it's something I could enjoy. Will still enter bike events, but maybe add one or two trail runs each month as well.

Or you could do the dual x and do both at one event . Only problem is , no events in KZN :thumbdown:

http://www.dualx.co.za/

Finally caught up on all the pages (Please excuse the essay)

I have been toying with the idea of running since December last year as I have this desire to compete in a triathlon and it might help if I can run.

After I read through a lot of different material I started running slowly and little bits here and there. I however found that for the first 3 months If I ran a 5k on Saturday and Sunday (Training not races) my knees where so sore that I battled for a few weeks.

I then cut back and restarted time and time again. I have now been using Coach Lindsey Parry’s Comrades 9 -11 Hr program as I guideline. I have absolutely no intention of running a marathon this year so I take that into consideration when his program goes on long runs.

I am currently running 30min with a 3.5 min walk before and after. My walk is btw 8.45 – 9.10 m/km pace, which equates to round 5.3km total session on the road during the week. On the Saturday my running is 35min with 4min walk either side and on Sunday 40min running with 4.5 min walk.

Now here is my problem, in the beginning I was running my 5.3 km route in a pace of 5:15 – 5:40m/km, and continually got niggles in my knees. Now with Parry’s program I am running at a MUCH slower pace, 6:20 – 6:40 m/km is the target range but I find myself battling like hell to run this slowly and my 920XT continually beeps at me that my pace is to fast so I slow down. This slow pace has made it possible for me to run 4 times a week now which is awesome because I really enjoy my runs.

HOWEVER, this slow pace has changed the way my foot hits the ground completely. I run more on my heals than when at my normal pace.

So what I would like to know from the experienced runners is, where can one get properly test for shoes? Sorry Sherriff I’m not into the 5FingerToes thing yet. When i bought my Saucony’s from Durban Runner the sales man made me walk 5meters and put my feet on the “heat plate” which showed I have a high arch. Although these shoes are the best I have ever owned I would like to know if there is a place that tests you for a period of time as I find that pace and distance has an impact on the way my foot hits the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Finally caught up on all the pages (Please excuse the essay)

I have been toying with the idea of running since December last year as I have this desire to compete in a triathlon and it might help if I can run.

After I read through a lot of different material I started running slowly and little bits here and there. I however found that for the first 3 months If I ran a 5k on Saturday and Sunday (Training not races) my knees where so sore that I battled for a few weeks.

I then cut back and restarted time and time again. I have now been using Coach Lindsey Parry’s Comrades 9 -11 Hr program as I guideline. I have absolutely no intention of running a marathon this year so I take that into consideration when his program goes on long runs.

I am currently running 30min with a 3.5 min walk before and after. My walk is btw 8.45 – 9.10 m/km pace, which equates to round 5.3km total session on the road during the week. On the Saturday my running is 35min with 4min walk either side and on Sunday 40min running with 4.5 min walk.

Now here is my problem, in the beginning I was running my 5.3 km route in a pace of 5:15 – 5:40m/km, and continually got niggles in my knees. Now with Parry’s program I am running at a MUCH slower pace, 6:20 – 6:40 m/km is the target range but I find myself battling like hell to run this slowly and my 920XT continually beeps at me that my pace is to fast so I slow down. This slow pace has made it possible for me to run 4 times a week now which is awesome because I really enjoy my runs.

HOWEVER, this slow pace has changed the way my foot hits the ground completely. I run more on my heals than when at my normal pace.

So what I would like to know from the experienced runners is, where can one get properly test for shoes? Sorry Sherriff I’m not into the 5FingerToes thing yet. When i bought my Saucony’s from Durban Runner the sales man made me walk 5meters and put my feet on the “heat plate” which showed I have a high arch. Although these shoes are the best I have ever owned I would like to know if there is a place that tests you for a period of time as I find that pace and distance has an impact on the way my foot hits the ground?

Thanks in advance.

I can highly recommend Mike at SBR in Sunninghill.  He will put you on a treadmill and video you before selling you shoes.  He also does a more detailed runners leg assessment (for a fee) which provides great insight into your own particular biomechanics.

I previously had endless issues with sore feet, ankles and knees - now am sorted thanks to a combination of correct shoes, better run technique, and slower build up.

On the issue you raise re different foot strike at slower pace - one tip that works for me (ex Mike) is to simply focus on higher cadence.  Its possible to run a high cadence even if you slow your speed down - which will happen naturally by shortening your stride at slower speeds).  If my cadence slows down I tend to land on my heals out in front of my knee - which means bigger impact on the joints and braking of momentum with each stride....

I am an x triathlete.

Running 60-70km per week for many years.

Stopped training in 2012 and decided to start cycling again in April of 2014.

Started running in Dec 2014, walking not jogging not running, walking with my wife.

After 1month we started jogging every other day, just 15min for 2 months.

April did upto 20min on training set, in June I did 7km, the longest I have run in many years

Gradually increasing distance and speed, injured myself on Monday night doing 7km.

Question: it is still the same old over use injuries causing compartment syndrome, leading to stress fracture and this time injuring my achilles. I did the rehab then, I took it slowly, running new shoes, Nike Voomero which is way more cushioning I need at my weight.

I am at a lost and at apoint of stop running again.

Rant off!

I can highly recommend Mike at SBR in Sunninghill.  He will put you on a treadmill and video you before selling you shoes.  He also does a more detailed runners leg assessment (for a fee) which provides great insight into your own particular biomechanics.

I previously had endless issues with sore feet, ankles and knees - now am sorted thanks to a combination of correct shoes, better run technique, and slower build up.

On the issue you raise re different foot strike at slower pace - one tip that works for me (ex Mike) is to simply focus on higher cadence.  Its possible to run a high cadence even if you slow your speed down - which will happen naturally by shortening your stride at slower speeds).  If my cadence slows down I tend to land on my heals out in front of my knee - which means bigger impact on the joints and braking of momentum with each stride....

SBR, do you have any details for them?

SBR Sport, where the SBR = Swim Bike Run...  

They are in the Sunninghill Village shopping centre which is on Maxwell Drive (near Megawatt Park).  Full details on their website

http://sbrsport.co.za/

check out his blog as well while you at it.

SBR Sport, where the SBR = Swim Bike Run...  

They are in the Sunninghill Village shopping centre which is on Maxwell Drive (near Megawatt Park).  Full details on their website

http://sbrsport.co.za/

check out his blog as well while you at it.

Shot bud, that is exactly the type of info i was looking for. :thumbup:

Hey guys I'm also very new to the running thing and was wondering what would be better for my running , started building slowly and I'm doing a avrg of 5.15 on 6km only one time a week, I did try and up it to 2×6km a week but started to feel my knees and decided to take it slow .....my question though is should I rather built up to a longer weekly run or stay with 6 km and try and run it faster over time?

Hey guys I'm also very new to the running thing and was wondering what would be better for my running , started building slowly and I'm doing a avrg of 5.15 on 6km only one time a week, I did try and up it to 2×6km a week but started to feel my knees and decided to take it slow .....my question though is should I rather built up to a longer weekly run or stay with 6 km and try and run it faster over time?

I am no expert but I believe that as with cycling consistency is key to success. I would rather run 2 or 3 days a week but at a shorter distance than your present 6km. Say 3km on every other day and then a 4km at weeks end. This way after a few months you will be able to run 10km more than once a week.

If you only run once a week you will get to a point (Distance or time depended) that will cause you injury and prevent you from running further.

Pro's please correct my logic if it is incorrect.

I am no expert but I believe that as with cycling consistency is key to success. I would rather run 2 or 3 days a week but at a shorter distance than your present 6km. Say 3km on every other day and then a 4km at weeks end. This way after a few months you will be able to run 10km more than once a week.

If you only run once a week you will get to a point (Distance or time depended) that will cause you injury and prevent you from running further.

Pro's please correct my logic if it is incorrect.

I have been given this same advice.... Running twice per week is the minimum to get your body used to it...

Thanks for the advice will definitely try it .....maybe ill try and find a beginners program online cause the lungs are there but the knees not yet thanks guys