Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

Did the Om Die Dam 50km ultra marathon on Saturday, was hot but did the business! Felt good!

Tomorrow back to running training 15kms at 5 am.

Will squeeze in a ride tomorrow afternoon!

The grocery shopping bill is mayhem with all this training!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... I ran once while I was away - along the Knysna Lagoon - I think between 3 and 4 kms max . Did walk on days on either side and not feeling too damaged. Muscle in my left bum cheek gets a bit tight but that's all I can feel really. Going to visit a running shoe shop in Stellenbosch on Wednesday to learn a bit more and investigate brands. Don't want to break the bank but I think my New Balance gym takkies may need replacing.

@ Uncle Wyatt - been following your chat on the Vibrams 5 fingers - I assume Cape Union Mart is where I should look for them but realistically I will run mainly on paved and tar surface - will the soles cope? I just assumed they are mainly meant for trail running?

PS. Googling them now anyway for a read up :)

running along the Knysna lagoon is always awesome. I have a relative that has a holiday spot on leisure isle and its a nice little circuit to run around.

So... I ran once while I was away - along the Knysna Lagoon - I think between 3 and 4 kms max . Did walk on days on either side and not feeling too damaged. Muscle in my left bum cheek gets a bit tight but that's all I can feel really. Going to visit a running shoe shop in Stellenbosch on Wednesday to learn a bit more and investigate brands. Don't want to break the bank but I think my New Balance gym takkies may need replacing.

@ Uncle Wyatt - been following your chat on the Vibrams 5 fingers - I assume Cape Union Mart is where I should look for them but realistically I will run mainly on paved and tar surface - will the soles cope? I just assumed they are mainly meant for trail running?

Running barefoot has huge advantages, but …..

You can’t run barefoot in a shoe.

Running is a remarkably simple activity, but placing an artificial barrier between the sole of your foot and the surface that it is striking makes things far more complicated.

The bare soles of the feet act as a natural restrictor. Pain limits IMPACT and prevents OVERUSE. Tender soles require a lot of conditioning, far more than a knee or hip, so by the time the soles are ready to go faster and further, the rest of the body is lined up ready for more.

As with most things in life, running is about striking the right balance, think of it in terms of boxing gloves and wind screens.

Attack a punch bag for the first time in a pair of boxing gloves, and you could punch away until a shoulder, arm or wrist started to give in, learning the correct technique would also take some time.

Punch the bag with bare fists, and the raw skin on your knuckles would quench your enthusiasm long before any serious damage could be done. The correct technique will also be far easier to learn as feedback is direct and need not be transmitted through layers of cushioning.

So why doesn’t everyone run barefoot all the time. Well, there are times when we want to take our bodies beyond their design parameters, it might be about going further or faster, or both, and this is where a bit of protection makes all the difference.

A wind screen permits the human body to cruise around in comfort, at speeds way in excess of what it is designed for. If we all removed our windscreens, average speeds would drop and there would be less injuries, but where is the fun in that…

As someone starting out on your running journey, you have the opportunity to do so without injury and frustration, by starting barefoot.

The hardest part of running is the first 6 weeks. By negotiating this phase barefoot, you will more than likely become a runner for life and this has some fairly significant benefits…so take off the gloves to start.

Once beyond this point, you will have an understanding of what your body needs…… it’s time for a wind screen, but not exclusively, barefoot should always be a component of any balanced running routine.

Just remember, you can’t run barefoot in a shoe, those barefoot running shoes were only invented to provide entertainment to others at the wearers expense……

Running is a remarkably simple activity, but placing an artificial barrier between the sole of your foot and the surface that it is striking makes things far more complicated.

The bare soles of the feet act as a natural restrictor. Pain limits IMPACT and prevents OVERUSE. Tender soles require a lot of conditioning, far more than a knee or hip, so by the time the soles are ready to go faster and further, the rest of the body is lined up ready for more.

As with most things in life, running is about striking the right balance, think of it in terms of boxing gloves and wind screens.

Attack a punch bag for the first time in a pair of boxing gloves, and you could punch away until a shoulder, arm or wrist started to give in, learning the correct technique would also take some time.

Punch the bag with bare fists, and the raw skin on your knuckles would quench your enthusiasm long before any serious damage could be done. The correct technique will also be far easier to learn as feedback is direct and need not be transmitted through layers of cushioning.

So why doesn’t everyone run barefoot all the time. Well, there are times when we want to take our bodies beyond their design parameters, it might be about going further or faster, or both, and this is where a bit of protection makes all the difference.

A wind screen permits the human body to cruise around in comfort, at speeds way in excess of what it is designed for. If we all removed our windscreens, average speeds would drop and there would be less injuries, but where is the fun in that…

As someone starting out on your running journey, you have the opportunity to do so without injury and frustration, by starting barefoot.

The hardest part of running is the first 6 weeks. By negotiating this phase barefoot, you will more than likely become a runner for life and this has some fairly significant benefits…so take off the gloves to start.

Once beyond this point, you will have an understanding of what your body needs…… it’s time for a wind screen, but not exclusively, barefoot should always be a component of any balanced running routine.

Just remember, you can’t run barefoot in a shoe, those barefoot running shoes were only invented to provide entertainment to others at the wearers expense……

Sorry man.

Hogwash, there are shoes on the market made for the job.

so I guess running is only for summer then...  running in winter my toes and hands only start warming up around the 3rd or 4th km of running.  running barefoot on a -2 degree joburg morning would not end well.

i get your point, but for 95% of us, running completely barefoot is just outright impractical.  What about the broken glass bottles along the route or when you start your run at 17h45 on a winters day and end in the dark...?

Had a lekker 6k yesterday after 2 weeks downtime due to a sprained ankle. Felt good to be back.

OK, so I'm sort of getting the hang of this running thing. 

As mentioned, it's definitely helping with my fitness, not in leaps and bounds but at least some.. annnnd, I'm hating it a little less.

The next thing I need to get my head around and a$$ into gear for, is stretching :mellow:

I know it's important

I know it's extremely beneficial

it's just SO mundane. 

Bought my shoes... Fitted for a pair of Brooks Ghost - neutral shoe. Nogales in a size bigger than I would have bought if I had been left to my own devices. Had a chat to the shop owner about minimalist running and he did suggest that perhaps as I was starting out with next to no running experience that I start with some support and build up strength and then we can relook the plan.

I will run in them tomorrow - today I just had to be on the bike :)

so I guess running is only for summer then...  running in winter my toes and hands only start warming up around the 3rd or 4th km of running.  running barefoot on a -2 degree joburg morning would not end well.

i get your point, but for 95% of us, running completely barefoot is just outright impractical.  What about the broken glass bottles along the route or when you start your run at 17h45 on a winters day and end in the dark...?

Perhaps my analogy about the windscreen wasn’t clear, so I’ll explain.

As a novice it is best to run barefoot for the first 6-8 weeks. The soles of the feet take time to become conditioned and therefore act as a natural restrictor, preventing overuse injuries (that are often terminal). The correct foot strike will develop naturally during this phase.

Thereafter, some protection (puncture & cushioning) is required to take the body beyond its design limits. Heat, cold, abrasion and puncture risks all limit the barefoot runner, hence the need for some protection (i.e. shoes, or as in my analogy a windscreen).

I agree, it is impractical to run barefoot all the time, hence my suggestion that “barefoot should always be a component of any balanced running routine”.

I have run through many Joburg winters, and have seen many gimmicks come and go, but the idea of running barefoot in a shoe, who would buy that?

Well I did, but my twinkle toes shoes soon slipped to the back of the cupboard and are never worn because if I want to run barefoot I run barefoot.

Perhaps my analogy about the windscreen wasn’t clear, so I’ll explain.

As a novice it is best to run barefoot for the first 6-8 weeks. The soles of the feet take time to become conditioned and therefore act as a natural restrictor, preventing overuse injuries (that are often terminal). The correct foot strike will develop naturally during this phase.

Thereafter, some protection (puncture & cushioning) is required to take the body beyond its design limits. Heat, cold, abrasion and puncture risks all limit the barefoot runner, hence the need for some protection (i.e. shoes, or as in my analogy a windscreen).

I agree, it is impractical to run barefoot all the time, hence my suggestion that “barefoot should always be a component of any balanced running routine”.

I have run through many Joburg winters, and have seen many gimmicks come and go, but the idea of running barefoot in a shoe, who would buy that?

Well I did, but my twinkle toes shoes soon slipped to the back of the cupboard and are never worn because if I want to run barefoot I run barefoot.

Man alive, that is so Norris like .

Running barefoot is madness, why would I want to fu*k my feet up.....then I cant enjoy my ride

Running barefoot is madness, why would I want to fu*k my feet up.....then I cant enjoy my ride

Focus Chuck, focus .

• 1 month later...

So I tried this running thing. First 3 runs were good. I even enjoyed them. Run 4.... Bang. ITB. Motherf**ker.

So I tried this running thing. First 3 runs were good. I even enjoyed them. Run 4.... Bang. ITB. Motherf**ker.

Get those glutes strengthened

I've had a torrid April...first hamstring injury then just as I got over that..bam..itb...over that now and doing fast 10s and 15s to get me back ready for the end of May. Been given a strengthening routine to do twice a day and that is definitely helping.....but..it's so frustrating as you worry About every single little niggle

Archived