FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

I have never really done a proper FTP test.

I lack the motivation of having some one else in front of you.

Hope to do one by the end of the year (been of the bike for 2 months) :thumbdown: 

My highest race numbers that I could find were: 303w @ 58kg for 20mins = 5.22w/kg

At Shova last year I was no where near my best but managed 234w for 2:25:36 = 4.03w/kg

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I purely suck at power tests. My last 3 tests have basically been within 5 watts of each other. But when ever I race I check my peak 20min power and realize that it is much higher every single time compared to my 20min power test.

Oh goody some more suffering.....

Yes, max lung busting effort over 30 secs, 60 secs, 300 secs and so on.

That is now really getting super technical with power training.

And do these test every 6 weeks or so.

I have never really done a proper FTP test.

I lack the motivation of having some one else in front of you.

Hope to do one by the end of the year (been of the bike for 2 months) :thumbdown:

My highest race numbers that I could find were: 303w @ 58kg for 20mins = 5.22w/kg

At Shova last year I was no where near my best but managed 234w for 2:25:36 = 4.03w/kg

303 x 0.9 = FTP of 288W, at your weight that is 4.9W/Kg HOLY Shrfewhfweo!!!!!

That is insane!

303 x 0.9 = FTP of 288W, at your weight that is 4.9W/Kg HOLY Shrfewhfweo!!!!!

That is insane!

He is riding at Elite level

Well I would hope so ;)

Someone has to try keep the Pro's honest.

yea 4.9w/kg is respectable when you studying full time and working. but it is usless on the flats and downhills when you weigh 58kg.[emoji39]

Was going to give this year a proper go, but things don't always go to plan. I am like a leaf in the wind.

5.2w/kg is domestic Pro and I could probably get there if I had 6 months free.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Spoke101

Here is a great testing procedure i found off the net,

• 20 minutes easy warm up
  • 3 x 1-minute wind ups with a minute rest between (100 RPM pedal cadence)
  • 5 minutes easy
  • 5 minutes all out (hard at first, but not so hard that you can't complete the effort)
  • 10 minutes easy
  • 20-minute time trial effort (like the previous 5-minute all out effort, keep in control, hard but steady, you don't want to over cook it and die at the end)
  • 10 to 15 minute cool down
if using a PowerBeam / PowerSync best would be to do this on FREE RIDE with the control type being GRADE not target power !! why we suggest this is you don't want to be limited or governed during the test and target power will do this.

How easy is EASY? I was sitting in Z1 (power) and mostly Z2 (HR with cadence at about mid-70) on the "easy" bits.

TrainingPeaks has returned a new Threashold Power value, which is 8 higher than my last FTP test, so I guess it must be right.

I originally wanted to do some interval training tonight, but with load shedding my wi-fi only tablet couldn't verify my subscription to CVT. So I did your testing procedure on free ride (warm up for 15 instead of 20 to fit everything in to the 60 mins on trial mode).

Let's say the test was far from easy - and wonder how much harder it will be if my "easy" on the easy bits was too easy.

4.32w/kg for 1h - Dave

Bragger!! .... cause you sit on the trainer all day in that shop of yours....LOL

No, really, that is super cool.

Bragger!! .... cause you sit on the trainer all day in that shop of yours....LOL

No, really, that is super cool.

We all wish we could sit on the awesome IDT's all day unfortunately training is a luxury and gets done rarely......  

CycleOps VIP is currently only in JHB, Rivonia for the moment.

Do yourself a favor and pop past, have a chat to the guys, very informative and the studio is pretty impressive too.

I purely suck at power tests. My last 3 tests have basically been within 5 watts of each other. But when ever I race I check my peak 20min power and realize that it is much higher every single time compared to my 20min power test.

Testing isn't for everyone.

I remember watching a programme on Cavendish ... they stated that he regularly returns the worst numbers of the team, yet it never shows out on the road.

Just a different animal in race conditions.!

Edited by Thomo

Ok I'm new on the power training game. Just got a Stages meter on my road bike running thru my Garmin. So far I've done no tests, just a few rides with it, and had it on for a crit this past weekend. Now from Garmin Connect for the crit it gives me an average power for the whole event of 287W and a max av power of 275W for 20 min. How would you guys interpret that? Total crit time was 1hr 09min

Edited by Terminator