FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

I just cannot crack 3W/Kg for an hour (measured). But then I am also not losing the weight that I should (motivation?). I can tell you us fatties like flat, windy courses - maybe even cold. The racing snakes suffer a bit more then. I just missed out on 40km/h ave over 108km on a pancake course (300m climbing) with crosswinds the other day (just to put some reality to the numbers). This is very close to being "untrained" on the tables! :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :blush:  :blush:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cannot crack 3W/Kg for an hour (measured). But then I am also not losing the weight that I should (motivation?). I can tell you us fatties like flat, windy courses - maybe even cold. The racing snakes suffer a bit more then. I just missed out on 40km/h ave over 108km on a pancake course (300m climbing) with crosswinds the other day (just to put some reality to the numbers). This is very close to being "untrained" on the tables! :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :blush:  :blush:

I dunno what your body fat % is like but going on what you said and what I seen on the virtual races you would be very impressive if you dropped a few kg's and retain the same power.

If those two figures are achieved, it will mean a 4W/Kg FTP which is my goal for Jock.

Also aiming for 4.0 for the Jock from 3.0 start of this year. If I can get to 280 watts and lose these love handles/2kgs I'll be there.

So what is considered a decent amount of gain in W/kg over a training block of say 8 weeks... more specifically on the power gain rather than loosing weight...

Something like 2-4% increase in FTP considered decent gains?

Getting from a 3.0 to a 4.0Watts/kg is a huuuuuggge jump in FTP

Unless you use a secret sauce hey

????

All I have is a local Watt bike to measure... Can go at 3W/kg for ages, but push it just to 3.2 and I fall part. Bloody marginal increases.

So what is considered a decent amount of gain in W/kg over a training block of say 8 weeks... more specifically on the power gain rather than loosing weight...

All depends on where you are at the moment compared to what you are capable of. In my case my FTP is 258. I try to use my time as efficient as possible. Training around 8hrs a week is what I can do. That FTP was tested a year ago. Earlier this week it actually tested lower than that even though I am in much better shape. My weight is 74.5kg at the moment. With some focus I can probably get it down to about 72kg. I don't see my FTP going higher than say 275 (optimistically) with the time I have (or even with 3hrs a week more). That gives me marginal increase in my power to weight. This is about a 10% increase (quick calc). Sounds decent but this is as good as it will get.

Summary is - not a natural/gifted cyclist at all

Does not keep me from enjoying it any less. Also the reason why I suffer so much with even just 2weeks off the bike

This is my theory anyway

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Or a huge loss in weight.

Like I said earlier, me getting to 4w/Kg is more a factor of weight loss than power gain.

Weight loss target is 10% from beginning of the year, power gain target is 5%.

Edited by Patchelicious

Worked on a project that prevented me from any consistent training second half of last year. When that finished December 31st I got up to 3.4w/kg in the first quarter of 2015 including 2 colds, lots of travelling and racing/tapering with reasonable consistency.

started the second quarter with a cold and tummy bug but have been putting in serious work around FTP and VO2 with very good consistency. Special circumstances on the home and work front allowing me time for endurance in the week right now so cashing in on the TSS. No racing till July.

Need to test end of the month but can already put in more intervals at FTP then few weeks ago. Reduced intervals @ longer times next week to ensure adaption.

Or a huge loss in weight.

I actually gained weight. 4kgs. Stupid project I was working on with insane programme had me so stressed, working flat out around the clock. When that finished my weight came back.

Worked on a project that prevented me from any consistent training second half of last year. When that finished December 31st I got up to 3.4w/kg in the first quarter of 2015 including 2 colds, lots of travelling and racing/tapering with reasonable consistency.

started the second quarter with a cold and tummy bug but have been putting in serious work around FTP and VO2 with very good consistency. Special circumstances on the home and work front allowing me time for endurance in the week right now so cashing in on the TSS. No racing till July.

Need to test end of the month but can already put in more intervals at FTP then few weeks ago. Reduced intervals @ longer times next week to ensure adaption.

Excellent for weight loss :ph34r:

Started my Bi-weekly FTP and not looking forward to next one, seriously painful and I don't enjoy them at all.

Anyways very happy with results

312 Watts

Power reading probably out by +-10% but a very good base to work from.

Don't think its to shabby for someone that only been cycling for 11 Months

Happy Friday :clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  

Started my Bi-weekly FTP and not looking forward to next one, seriously painful and I don't enjoy them at all.

Anyways very happy with results

312 Watts

Power reading probably out by +-10% but a very good base to work from.

Don't think its to shabby for someone that only been cycling for 11 Months

Happy Friday :clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  

W/kg?

That is very PVT :whistling:  :whistling:

74 is my magic number. :thumbup:

The hub is not the place to talk about your secrets