FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did my first DC in 2012 (it was my first race too :eek: ), I was 92kg and FTP must have been around 230.. or 2.5W/Kg.

so its going to take a year or few to make significant improvement, I have the time so just need to get stuck in it and be disciplined.

so its going to take a year or few to make significant improvement, I have the time so just need to get stuck in it and be disciplined.

I didnt train properly until about 18 months ago, so not yearS.

1 year of proper dedication and you will yeild good results, but the key work is PROPER, if you do it half assed expect half assed results :)

281W today which is a tad bit disappointing. Equates to 3.71W/Kg.

Having been on 4 weeks of endurance training, I'm not surprised. Not unhappy, as I'm still above my previous test.

Lots of work to do, but first up is the MalutiDouble90 which is more endurance and clever boxing than outright leg strength.

Just to confirm FTP is the hour effort. or 95% of the 20min test.

So if your FTP is 230, you power to weight is currently 2.3W/Kg.

If you dropped to 85kg that will jump to 2.7W/Kg

To get that same gain without losing weight you would need to up your FTP to 270 or a full 20%. That will take effort.

But considering that you are a tad on the heavier side for a cyclist, and the power is coming off a low base, you should make substantial improvements on both weight and power with good training and good diet.

I dont know you (or your build) nor am I a coach, I am just spitting out numbers here, so best you chat to somebody in person too. But the cool thing is that there is lots of room for improvement, and thats always a nice motivator. eg: If we went on the same training block now, you would yeild better power returns than me for the same amount of pain.... :(

Well at least I could still do a 6:13-15 DC TT after being dropped by my team with those numbers.

I didnt train properly until about 18 months ago, so not yearS.

1 year of proper dedication and you will yeild good results, but the key work is PROPER, if you do it half assed expect half assed results :)

I can vouch for the "proper dedication = proper results" even in just like a month (been amazed what one can do in only one month!) , but for me unfortunately I don't continue that "proper dedication" for longer than that at a time so it doesn't build, it feels like a restart everytime. 

I've read all the/your posts on here and I would actually like to see what my actual figures are. I like figures/math in general so maybe it would add to the motivation... Haha (I am a lazy rider though, so I'll have to get my mind around that.) 

I can vouch for the "proper dedication = proper results" even in just like a month (been amazed what one can do in only one month!) , but for me unfortunately I don't continue that "proper dedication" for longer than that at a time so it doesn't build, it feels like a restart everytime.

I've read all the/your posts on here and I would actually like to see what my actual figures are. I like figures/math in general so maybe it would add to the motivation... Haha (I am a lazy rider though, so I'll have to get my mind around that.)

come and spend an hour in my garage on the trainer and you will know your numbers... bike on trainer will be a close enough fit for you - might need to bring your own pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know where else to post this:

Is there scientific reason, or psychologic reason why my heart rate would increase riding in the drops vs riding on the top of my handlebars with the same power output?

Thanks

Is there scientific reason, or psychologic reason why my heart rate would increase riding in the drops vs riding on the top of my handlebars with the same power output?

Thanks

if your body isn't use to it , it is possible.

Same thing if you are used to riding at 80 cadence, try riding at 100 cadence with the same power your hr will shoot up

Practice it, make sure every ride you do you spend at least 10 minutes in the drops

Thanks

Mine does too, by a few BPMs.

I put this down to it being slightly more difficult to breath at first. But as Rasta said, it gets better with practice.

Same thing if you are used to riding at 80 cadence, try riding at 100 cadence with the same power your hr will shoot up

Practice it, make sure every ride you do you spend at least 10 minutes in the drops

Mine does too, by a few BPMs.

I put this down to it being slightly more difficult to breath at first. But as Rasta said, it gets better with practice.

Thanks, will give it a go.

I use to be a 97avg cadence rider, but have always felt that I was short on power, and that the lungs give up after a while, now I do training rides with much lower cadence, but in races, my higher cadence is still there.