FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever sends shivers down the spines of and  intimidates your riding mates.

I think most of the pro's have their tests done in a lab on an indoor bike hence the exclusion of bike weight. Hes weight is listed as 73Kg.

Every FTP test I've done with a coach on a indoor bike I've had to weight myself fully clothed.

On the bike I include my bike weight since bike + rider is the load my legs have to overcome

Cool thanks for that reply. That's why I also thought, but then started reading different methodologies.

Just a note, his weight with that stage/calculation was about 69kg, but you can see he did other calucations for scenarios of +1 and +2kg. These pros can easily drop a few kgs before a tour. Just look at Froome!

I guess that if you do the calculations like in the example, you can leave out the bike, because it would be almost the same for everyone seeing as most will be at the 6,8kg minimum bike weight or not far from that. Or the lesson, at least be consistent when you do "pseudo analysis" :)

need to have a test done soon and get back to the swing of things. lotsa improvement to be done in the coming months.

Cool thanks for that reply. That's why I also thought, but then started reading different methodologies.

Just a note, his weight with that stage/calculation was about 69kg, but you can see he did other calucations for scenarios of +1 and +2kg. These pros can easily drop a few kgs before a tour. Just look at Froome!

I guess that if you do the calculations like in the example, you can leave out the bike, because it would be almost the same for everyone seeing as most will be at the 6,8kg minimum bike weight or not far from that. Or the lesson, at least be consistent when you do "pseudo analysis" :)

Ya I guess the reasoning is for consistency of numbers on and off the bike.

Did my first FTP test this past weekend! Clearly need to spend more time training intensity than simply racking up mileage! Met eishhhh! 

Did my first FTP test this past weekend! Clearly need to spend more time training intensity than simply racking up mileage! Met eishhhh! 

HIIT boet. Far more effective at racking up the threshold power & cardio capacity. Take it from me - it works!!!

HIIT boet. Far more effective at racking up the threshold power & cardio capacity. Take it from me - it works!!!

Familiar with Tabata sprints and hill climbing intervals from more structured training days.... Indeed they are the only way to ramp up the adaptive response and increase fitness effectively using real world issues like job and time obstacles! Just a wake up call when you see what 6 months of commuting mostly with the odd training run thrown in does to your true fitness scores!

Edited by Tubehunter

281 watts at 83kg. 3.4w/kg. Test done in December. Due for another test soon. Should improve