Doing the Epic on Banting Diet

I started on LCHF just over 2 years ago. For breakfast I have a bulletproof coffee and then have a high fat paste with macadamia nut butter, coca powder, unflavoured and unsweetened whey, coconut flour, mct oil and a teaspoon of honey.

This keeps me going and full until after lunch time. I eat this before I ride as well.

My max hr is 190bpm. At Sabie Classic this year my ave hr to wp2 just over the top of the mamba switchbacks was 183bpm. Then total for race was 178 for 4h40. So that is 93% ave hr for over 4 hours.

I know a lot of people here say this diet is fine for LSD. But for me I have no issues going anaerobic and holding it there.

At Sabie I also ran out of water going up the Mamba's and had severe desert mouth for about 30 min before the next water point. Was far away from cramping as well and this wasn't an issue.

Interesting. I did the Ultra at Sabie and had a great ride (conditions ware also perfect, which helped). Not quite the HR you had, I'm 44, so was happy with my 85%. Mambas (in fact all the climbs, all 3000m of them) were great. I finished extremely strong where I had enough in the tank to race the last single track a little, overtaking quite a few guys sucking the last bit of sugar out of their systems.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone and had a quick look... .PEPlett, I did an Average 75% of HR for 4 days, each day between 6hr (Shortest Day) and 8.5 Hrs (Longest day).

In a one day race, I hit 85% of max for 3 hours, and I felt fine.

I don't want to start an argument but this should not be possible (93% HR for 4h40).

Something is wrong - have some more tests done.

I also run at a high RPM. At the FastOne I rode 2h20 average of 181bpm, regularly hit 205bpm on short sharp intervals. 5 hours at 170bpm is also a regular occurrence.

Interesting. I did the Ultra at Sabie and had a great ride (conditions ware also perfect, which helped). Not quite the HR you had, I'm 44, so was happy with my 85%. Mambas (in fact all the climbs, all 3000m of them) were great. I finished extremely strong where I had enough in the tank to race the last single track a little, overtaking quite a few guys sucking the last bit of sugar out of their systems.

I'm 32 years old now. When I ride I don't show my hr data on my screens. I find when I look at my hr it holds me back. So now I just ride, and they analyse the data afterwards.

I'm 32 years old now. When I ride I don't show my hr data on my screens. I find when I look at my hr it holds me back. So now I just ride, and they analyse the data afterwards.

Same for me. sometimes I check when my lungs are about to pop out when I'm seriously racing up a hill, but otherwise only look at it at the end.

There is no way that one can describe the feeling to cycle for hours on end at 85% of HR Max on nothing but water if you are fat adapted. Freedom maybe?

No bonking at all, the added benefit is you can rest a bit as your cycling buddy slows down to eat another energy bar..... 

Edited by TIB

There is no way that one can describe the feeling to cycle for hours on end at 85% of HR Max on nothing but water if you are fat adapted. Freedom maybe?

No bonking at all, the added benefit is you can rest a bit as your cycling buddy slows down to eat another energy bar..... 

Exactly. I found it quite freaky as I was waiting for something to happen after day 2...3....4....5... and nothing did, just kept on going.

Exactly. I found it quite freaky as I was waiting for something to happen after day 2...3....4....5... and nothing did, just kept on going.

In 2013 if I was better prepared going into joberg2c I think I still would have been on LCHF but I wrongly assumed there would be more food choice available so my snacks and stash ran out on day 4 I think,

I also run at a high RPM. At the FastOne I rode 2h20 average of 181bpm, regularly hit 205bpm on short sharp intervals. 5 hours at 170bpm is also a regular occurrence.

High BPM is fine but 93% of max for 4h40 is not possible. Even short intervals at 93% are flippin painful (and considered rather intense).

170 over 205 is much closer to the ~80% anaeronic threshold than 93% and isn't unbelievable. 93% for 4h40 is. I'm not trying to be a wanker - just pointing out that the input info has a flaw.

Either his HR monitor is poked or he doesn't have the correct MAX HR.

In 2013 if I was better prepared going into joberg2c I think I still would have been on LCHF but I wrongly assumed there would be more food choice available so my snacks and stash ran out on day 4 I think,

The food choices during the 2014 Sani2c was very good if you were on LCHF. It was a concern but I was pleasantly surprised. All you needed and more. Obviously the fatty biltong and nuts you have to bring yourself.

The problem with the joberg2c - I'll eat 9 days worth of biltong in 3 days!

The food choices during the 2014 Sani2c was very good if you were on LCHF. It was a concern but I was pleasantly surprised. All you needed and more. Obviously the fatty biltong and nuts you have to bring yourself.

That's why I ran out of snacks/ 2013 won't happen again ;)

4. Low-carb rehydration (electrolyte) mix - I used a combination of USN Zero Carb Rehydrator and Drip-Drop (medical grade rehydration supplement powder I recently discovered)

What's the Drip Drop supplement you mention ?

4. Low-carb rehydration (electrolyte) mix - I used a combination of USN Zero Carb Rehydrator and Drip-Drop (medical grade rehydration supplement powder I recently discovered)

What's the Drip Drop supplement you mention ?

Medical grade rehydration powder I sourced through a buddy in the UK. It is available through someone in Cape Town now, but not sure of the details. Also around R25 per sachet, which does 1 bottle, so not cheap. I bought a box of this stuff purely for the Epic, but will now revert back to the USN Zero Carb stuff as i have been using this for some time now and it works well.

• 6 years later...
On 3/29/2015 at 6:51 PM, Bike Whisperer said:

Medical grade rehydration powder I sourced through a buddy in the UK. It is available through someone in Cape Town now, but not sure of the details. Also around R25 per sachet, which does 1 bottle, so not cheap. I bought a box of this stuff purely for the Epic, but will now revert back to the USN Zero Carb stuff as i have been using this for some time now and it works well.

Hi. Are you still going strong on LCHF cycling? If so what electrolytes are you using?