Doing the Epic on Banting Diet

Me too. Quite simple really. Type 1 treatment protocol basically says inject insulin first to cover for carbs yet to be ingested. And 60%+ of food intake should comprise low GI, high fibre carbs (according to current dietary guidelines). BUT!!! - reduce carb intake and you need less insulin, with resultant lower HbA1c in the long run. Fact. I did it and lost weight as a Type 1. Over the past year I've been naughty by having more carbs than I would if on LCHF. I'm fully back on banting since last Monday - Sani is 7 weeks away. I must add, this is all done in discussion with my physician, and he's supportive of the low carb approach. Before they discovered insulin, Type 1's were treated with LCHF. Guess who discovered insulin in 1921 and won the Nobel Prize in 1923 for his efforts?   :whistling:

See you at Sani... Nuts and all!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to give this a try, but then I walk into PnP and they have hot cross buns on display at the entrance and I get wobbly knees.

I love carbs far too much to give them up.

Long live carbs!!  :clap:

I walk into PnP Liquor and see all that delicious Beer.

Me too. Quite simple really. Type 1 treatment protocol basically says inject insulin first to cover for carbs yet to be ingested. And 60%+ of food intake should comprise low GI, high fibre carbs (according to current dietary guidelines). BUT!!! - reduce carb intake and you need less insulin, with resultant lower HbA1c in the long run. Fact. I did it and lost weight as a Type 1. Over the past year I've been naughty by having more carbs than I would if on LCHF. I'm fully back on banting since last Monday - Sani is 7 weeks away. I must add, this is all done in discussion with my physician, and he's supportive of the low carb approach. Before they discovered insulin, Type 1's were treated with LCHF. Guess who discovered insulin in 1921 and won the Nobel Prize in 1923 for his efforts?   :whistling:

Banting won the Nobel but a Romanian discovered it before him (Wiki)

I can resist all carbs except beer.

Banting won the Nobel but a Romanian discovered it before him (Wiki)

I can resist all carbs except beer.

I've taken to drinking more distilled alcohol (spirits - rum, whiskey, brandy) than fermented alcohol (wine and beer). Mixed either with soda or sugar-free colddrink, although the latter is poison with the artificial sweeteners. No carbs in distilled alcohol. Not sure Banting would approve.

The most effective way to change my diet is to change the food I eat at work, breakfast and lunch. 

My request is that anyone on the LCHF diet post some meals here for breakfast and lunch that I can try 5 days a week, please.

Thanks.

I'm sure it's possible but I'd like to quote almost every European road soigneur.

"If you want to go fast you need sugar".

My opinion (I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/medical dude) - fats/oils are fine for LSD style Epics but your body has the ability to use energy faster than it can turn fats/oils into energy so when you're flatboxing it you need sugar*

*this is what my amateur research and field tests have taught me - if there are medical experts out there I'd love you to prove me wrong!

I tried "racing" on the LCHF diet. When I say racing, i mean go as hard and fast as I can go. 

It was a total and epic (pardon the pun) fail. I started cramping in racing. And when I say cramp, I mean cramp up so bad that it felt like my quads and hamstrings were trying to swop sides on my legs! It was something that I've never experienced before and it wasn't fun. 

Some time ago, by total fluke, I happened to be at a venue where Tim Noakes was giving a chat about the LFHC diet. I spoke to him afterwards and he actually told me that they were aware of the cramping thing and couldn't really explain it. His words to me was to up my carbs, considerably. 

Since then i've tossed the LCHF thing. And with that the cramping also went.

I'm a happy camper again.  :thumbup:

The most effective way to change my diet is to change the food I eat at work, breakfast and lunch. 

My request is that anyone on the LCHF diet post some meals here for breakfast and lunch that I can try 5 days a week, please.

Thanks.

I'm on avo, smoked chicken breast & cheese. I also find a nice bit of roast chicken is brilliant. 

essentially my days are as such (over the past 2)

Breakfast - buttery coffee

Lunch - 1/2 avo, 3 small slices of extra mature cheddar & about 50g chicken, with another buttery coffee. Salt & pepper on the avo

Snack - nothing yet. Dry Wors if I'm peckish. 

Dinner - last night I made a boerewors stew, with loads of veg, and skipped the rice. Smaller than normal portion. 

Repeat today. 

Yesterday I went to Nixon's bike park for a little session. Didn't push hard, but felt fine. No huge hunger pangs. 

LOADS of water. 

I'm not normally compelled to write a blog or contribute to a forum, but I thought that I should share my experience of this year's Epic on the Banting or LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet. ........

Excellent post, thanks.

Been in ketosis myself and dropped from 84 to 66 over the last two years and can now do 6-hour rides on water. Often without breakfast.

Can you give some more details on your off-bike nutrition during the race, please?

What and how much did you eat before and after?

Oh, and your fat-bomb recipe would be cool! :)

Excellent post, thanks.

Been in ketosis myself and dropped from 84 to 66 over the last two years and can now do 6-hour rides on water. Often without breakfast.

Can you give some more details on your off-bike nutrition during the race, please?

What and how much did you eat before and after?

Oh, and your fat-bomb recipe would be cool! :)

Normal banting food. I did not eat any differently during the event or leading up to it and surprisingly did not increase the amount of food before or during the ride.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast and/or double cream yoghurt

Steak and veggies, pork belly, etc for dinners

Lunch is normally a hit and miss affair, so biltong, cabanossi, nuts, maybe yoghurt. During the event there was only 1 available option which was a Carb-Clever chicken meal from Woolies.

The recipe is posted earlier in this post... Mix it by trial and error.

omw, what a pair dumb asses, Tim Nokes said himself the Banting diet is not meant for Endurance cycling, why would you make yourself suffer unnecessary, you guys could have done soooooooo much better.

omw, what a pair dumb asses, Tim Nokes said himself the Banting diet is not meant for Endurance cycling, why would you make yourself suffer unnecessary, you guys could have done soooooooo much better.

Welcome to the debate Mr. Friday.

And that, fellow hubbers, is how you start a Friday thread:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57141402.jpg

On the contrary, he said nothing of that sort and supports Banting for Endurance sports. But I think you're just making things up to get into the conversation. Judging by your lack of comprehension, you surely could not have read anything slightly scientific to back your statement up.

I'm assuming you refer the the second 'dumb ass' as my team mate since you refer to the 'pair'? He was on carbs and I assure you he suffered more than I did. 

If you read my post... sloooooooowly and carefully, you'll notice no one is talking about suffering. This was a ride of my life of 20 years of cycling. I did not suffer at all.

Move-on if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, which clearly you don't.

There's one born every day...

Edited by Riff

I started on LCHF just over 2 years ago. For breakfast I have a bulletproof coffee and then have a high fat paste with macadamia nut butter, coca powder, unflavoured and unsweetened whey, coconut flour, mct oil and a teaspoon of honey.

This keeps me going and full until after lunch time. I eat this before I ride as well.

My max hr is 190bpm. At Sabie Classic this year my ave hr to wp2 just over the top of the mamba switchbacks was 183bpm. Then total for race was 178 for 4h40. So that is 93% ave hr for over 4 hours.

I know a lot of people here say this diet is fine for LSD. But for me I have no issues going anaerobic and holding it there.

At Sabie I also ran out of water going up the Mamba's and had severe desert mouth for about 30 min before the next water point. Was far away from cramping as well and this wasn't an issue.

My max hr is 190bpm. At Sabie Classic this year my ave hr to wp2 just over the top of the mamba switchbacks was 183bpm. Then total for race was 178 for 4h40. So that is 93% ave hr for over 4 hours.

I don't want to start an argument but this should not be possible (93% HR for 4h40).

Something is wrong - have some more tests done.