Doing the Epic on Banting Diet

In 2013 I was doing high fat rode long rides well went into joberg2c in ketosis, but as you say stage races are not exactly high fat friendly, I'm a weekend rider nothing SERIAAAS but I must say when I was on high fat I could just jump on the bike and not worry about , juice,bars,Oates , snacks,

Yes I wasn't trying to win anything I was just enjoying not worrying about what I ate and what I had eaten before a ride

I had my longest sustained energy on high fat

I Never had an issue with going hard(my hard,,not that hard) on high fat, it was just hard work eating enough fat, and I don't have an issue with fatty foods I had a problem getting sooooo much down for the correct % to stay in ketosis is HARD WORK

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little reminder that the Banting diet is not for everyone. It is the right thing for some, but to think that it is the ideal for everyone, is similar to putting diesel in all cars and expecting them all to run better.

In 2013 I was doing high fat rode long rides well went into joberg2c in ketosis, but as you say stage races are not exactly high fat friendly, I'm a weekend rider nothing SERIAAAS but I must say when I was on high fat I could just jump on the bike and not worry about , juice,bars,Oates , snacks,

Yes I wasn't trying to win anything I was just enjoying not worrying about what I ate and what I had eaten before a ride

I had my longest sustained energy on high fat

I Never had an issue with going hard(my hard,,not that hard) on high fat, it was just hard work eating enough fat, and I don't have an issue with fatty foods I had a problem getting sooooo much down for the correct % to stay in ketosis is HARD WORK

It became too much work for me in the end.

I now have an interesting balance with some carbs that is much easier to sustain and I have not put on any weight with it.

Just a little reminder that the Banting diet is not for everyone. It is the right thing for some, but to think that it is the ideal for everyone, is similar to putting diesel in all cars and expecting them all to run better.

Like diabetics...

So where do you go to find out if you are a diesel/petrol/ herbivore/maze grazer

Scientifically

I'd like to give this a try, but then I walk into PnP and they have hot cross buns on display at the entrance and I get wobbly knees.

I love carbs far too much to give them up.

Long live carbs!!  :clap:

I'd like to give this a try, but then I walk into PnP and they have hot cross buns on display at the entrance and I get wobbly knees.

I love carbs far too much to give them up.

Long live carbs!!  :clap:

LOL. Same. 

Fresh ciabatta slathered with butter. O. M. G. 

Throw in a piece of salami on top, and I'm guaranteed to scoff the whole bloody loaf. 

I just loooove bread. 

Yes and no. Closer to the front the racing is far more variable with teams breaking away, lightweights attacking on hills, bigger guys smashing the flats, less technical teams having to catch up after tricky descents etc.

These are the times you spend in the red zone - sugar will allow you to do this whereas protein/fats/oils will effectively put you in debt and require a bit of a recovery.

Middle and back of the field you can choose your own pace - front of the field you're sometimes forced into big efforts.

On Saturday I was sitting behind a steam engine on very long flat section.

Felt the life being sucked out of me, low carb low sugar didnt help me, the only thing that saved my life was a coke

LOL. Same. 

Fresh ciabatta slathered with butter. O. M. G. 

Throw in a piece of salami on top, and I'm guaranteed to scoff the whole bloody loaf. 

I just loooove bread. 

Don't you mean slice of butter with some ciabatta on it?

Dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil...!!!!!! 

I don't know if I believe that. how does he float after that breakfast?

it's true... 

couldn't believe it myself, but after extensive research it is actually a snapshot of what he eats on an almost daily basis.