Doing the Epic on Banting Diet

Would really like the recipe for your

3. Home made fat-bomb gels in a squeezee bottle (macadamia nut butter, coconut oil, cocoa, and a dash of honey)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's true... 

couldn't believe it myself, but after extensive research it is actually a snapshot of what he eats on an almost daily basis. 

Read somewhere a while back that he often goes into a Pizza place and has 2 large pizzas and if I remember correctly 2 large milkshakes to go with that. His training is super high intensity, so he's burning calories more than any of us on this here thread...

it's true... 

couldn't believe it myself, but after extensive research it is actually a snapshot of what he eats on an almost daily basis. 

wow! I now respect him more for his eating abilities than his swimming abilities.

Joey Chestnut watchout

wow! I now respect him more for his eating abilities than his swimming abilities.

Joey Chestnut watchout

LOL. Ja. 

And as for the cycling guys - mate of mine represented SA at the world student champs in China a while back. They had McDonalds challenges. IE: ordering everything on the menu and scoffing all of it. Notoriety to the person finishing first

On Saturday I was sitting behind a steam engine on very long flat section.

Felt the life being sucked out of me, low carb low sugar didnt help me, the only thing that saved my life was a coke

The Red Ambulance! That's all I crave the last hour of long stages.

50/50 coke water cannot be beaten as an emergency "get me home"/flatbox last hour :clap:

I'd like to give this a try, but then I walk into PnP and they have hot cross buns on display at the entrance and I get wobbly knees.

I love carbs far too much to give them up.

Long live carbs!!  :clap:

Tell me about it. After a while, you learn to ignore the temptation.

Would really like the recipe for your

3. Home made fat-bomb gels in a squeezee bottle (macadamia nut butter, coconut oil, cocoa, and a dash of honey)

No recipe really... I start with the macadamia nut butter, which is quite runny, then add the oil to make sure it flows like a gel. Cocoa and honey in small quantities for flavour. I did it by experimenting until the consistency was right. Just google 'Fat Bomb' and there are many similar concoctions, just adjust the viscosity (flowingness) by varying the oil quantity in the end.

Oh, use a Stick Blender to really mix it well otherwise the stuff separates. Mine has been in a 2l Coke bottle for a month and has not separated yet.

Edited by Riff

OP, Thank you for this. Exactly how I am planning for next year. I did the PEPlett last year on lchf, and found very much the same. Recovery drink was coconut cream. On the bike, macadamia nuts, dry wors, very fatty biltong, and loads of water.

Last day, we finished in the top 30 teams. On brutal climbs, we passed many teams.

I'm not saying I'll beat myself on carbs in a sprint, but anything over 70km, I'll give carb fueled me a hiding.

We're you in full ketosis???

Yes. Checked that regularly for 2 weeks before the ride. I've been in Ketosis for well over a year, but just wanted to make sure as I didn't want to confuse my body where to find it's fuel. It payed off.

Edited by Riff

Oddly enough I find fats/oils and proteins more important as the hours increase.

>2 hours I'm fine on plain old Powerade and Bananas.

2-3 hours a little protein helps - peanut butter too.

>3 hours I like 20% protein 80% carbs.

Yes. But when you are Fat Adapted, you need the fat for fuel as you body doesn't use carbs that much.

Just to add, I started at 98kg, dropped to 89kg in about 2 months after going onto LCHF, just by changing the diet and continuing at my normal riding / exercise routine.

I am now at 84kg due to the increased training I did for the Epic, which I only started at the end of January as I got a late request to ride due to a team member pull-out.

Now I must stay there....

I am an Insulin dependent Diabetic and I do very well on a LCHF diet.

Lots of literature to support this.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Me too. Quite simple really. Type 1 treatment protocol basically says inject insulin first to cover for carbs yet to be ingested. And 60%+ of food intake should comprise low GI, high fibre carbs (according to current dietary guidelines). BUT!!! - reduce carb intake and you need less insulin, with resultant lower HbA1c in the long run. Fact. I did it and lost weight as a Type 1. Over the past year I've been naughty by having more carbs than I would if on LCHF. I'm fully back on banting since last Monday - Sani is 7 weeks away. I must add, this is all done in discussion with my physician, and he's supportive of the low carb approach. Before they discovered insulin, Type 1's were treated with LCHF. Guess who discovered insulin in 1921 and won the Nobel Prize in 1923 for his efforts?   :whistling: