Adverse analytical finding - in competition test

News bot

Seretide is a combination of salmeterol and fluticasone so is fine and does not need TUE, declaration of use at testing time only

Ventolin is one of the many marketed forms of salbutamol - always OK if taken by inhaler and fewer than 16 puffs per day.  Alessandro Petacchi was done for exceeding this a few years ago - not sure if it was deliberate or 'accidental'

He was of course just incredibly unlucky... took 30 odd puffs of his inhaler on the day of his third Giro stage win! Poor bugger!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/petacchi-banned-for-salbutamol-positive-96336

Just not as unlucky as these guys!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/pro-cyclists-best-excuses-for-failing-a-dope-test-150145

Or my personal favourite - Pigeon pie - Adrie van der Poel, 1983 

Your father-in-law races pigeons and they need performance enhancers along the way. It's a Sunday evening and van der Poel looks hungry so father-in-law makes him some pigeon pie from said pigeons. A positive test for Strychnine ensued. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seretide is a combination of salmeterol and fluticasone so is fine and does not need TUE, declaration of use at testing time only

Ventolin is one of the many marketed forms of salbutamol - always OK if taken by inhaler and fewer than 16 puffs per day.  Alessandro Petacchi was done for exceeding this a few years ago - not sure if it was deliberate or 'accidental'

cool thanks,

what about other common ailment meds like Puricos which is a gout treatment? Was having this discussion with a few blokes over a beer last night and it seems theres confusion over gout medication. Some are ok and others need a TUE. Is that correct?

cool thanks.

So I guess the question is how does a rider declare the use of these without broadcasting it all over facebook?

I know some events have a medical questionnaire that has to be completed and on there I assume there would be place to declare mediations used in the past 6 months or chronic medication uses?

Alternatively does one have to send a letter to the CSA ether ....?

The whole process should be confidential, if SAIDS test then they are unlikely to have access to that information but will ask about any medications taken at the time of testing. If the drugs are not prohibited then no problem unless there are thresholds as for salbutamol.

Problem is there are thousands of recreational athletes out there with hypertension and other conditions that are routinely and effectively treated with drugs that appear on the prohibited list. SAIDS and the national federations couldn't cope with the admin if every recreational athlete doing Two Oceans, Comrades, CTCT applied for TUE. These individuals are highly unlikely to be tested and if so, could claim a retrospective TUE . If you have legitimate prescription, particularly for a well-established medical condition then I cannot see that sanctions could be applied.

Imo doping is bad, deserve life ban, teams and directors should banned too, etc.

For a pro I could at least understand why.

For a vet racer, in SA, Im at a loss for words. I dont understand why would a VA rider risk his health for some podiums?

I wonder how his medical aid would see this, if he had health complications later in life?

Seems like anything that ends wit "rol" is a problem.  :thumbup:

So can you get a TUE for Mielie rol ?