Garfield2010

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done all hub competitors.

Truly a superhuman feat!

I agree, congrats guys!! One day when I grow up... I am thinking of doing my first 70.3 next year. Doing my third Comrades this year, after Comrades I need to go for swimming lessons. 

The support was really awesome... The heat was insane!

My tan lines are truly special!

The last 45km on the bike killed me. I pulled something in my side/under my ribs on the swim trying to pass people who over estimated their ability in the self seeding and really struggled to breath.

The marathon was agony.

A sub 4 turned into a struggle to get going but my last lap was 20 minutes faster than my first and the 2 inbetween were progressively better as I went numb and learned to run around the pulled muscle.

Came home 12:47 feeling pretty good.

The event was slick and so well received. I cannot fault anything without sounding petty.

I smelt the poitjie... made me feel a bit ill!

Eish! Quite an interesting race this one... In an animistic way I have to say that PE didn’t take kindly to our idle talk about an easy course and nice weather and brought us down to earth properly!

We stayed at the Town Lodge this year and it was a great location. Eating breakfast on the porch on a beautiful Saturday overlooking the bay and all the activity I again understood that for me IM is all about the massive anticipation in the hours leading up to that start. That feeling I had walking along the shoreline and on the beach before the start, knowing that I was going to partake in the very thing all this is about, was again just magnificent!

The practice swim pointed towards an interest leg and it turned out to be just that. Swells that certainly got my attention and a chop to match made for a proper test. It was really difficult to sight and after the first turn I followed about 100 athletes in front of me on a completely wrong line. I realised this a few minutes later when I noticed that we were swimming towards the left crane and not the end of the harbour wall. I sat up to check and saw that a major part of the field immediately in front of me was going off towards the 1st yellow buoy after turn 3, some 300m off course! I don’t know what happened to these guys but I’m very glad I realised it. Big swells around turn 2, and what I think must have been current on the back leg: I missed all the yellow buoys about 50 m to the left despite how carefully I sighted. Came out in 1:19 which was about 5 min slower than what I hoped for.

The bike was relatively pleasant. Conditions were perfect for the first lap, and ok for the second: little hot, slight wind towards the end, but much easier than last year. I stuck to my target HR, felt strong throughout and ate/drank according to plan. The 28mm tires definitely helped (Thanks DaveM!). Got off in 6:12 which meant my best ever average speed of all 70.3’s and one IM.

Out on the run and, initially, I felt quite good. My target HR translated into a ‘brisk’ pace of 5:57 for the first 20km. But then, just as thoughts of breaking 12 hours entered my mind all came crushing down rapidly. It was weird, just like pulling a plug. The power just drained out of me within a few kms. At 22km I couldn’t get myself to run past the feeding tables and walked all of them. At 28km I was getting really dizzy and couldn’t figure out whether I ate/drank too much or too little, which with all the normal scary thoughts during the last stages of an IM wreaked havoc in my mind. By 32km I was walking both upslopes at the ends of the course. The last 4km felt never-ending. I eventually finished the run in 4:25. With liberal transitions it meant a 12:13 for the race, a good 33min faster than last year. My AG position will show whether I really did a better race. I feel proud irrespective.

Great organising as always and the fans and volunteers were again the lifeblood of the whole experience. Like ICM said above I hope that I could also support and volunteer in the future.

After two IM I can say with all integrity that I gave everything I had, in both training and racing. I am completely happy. Bar marriage and parenthood, this is the most intense thing I have ever done and I think I came out a better person on the other side. I won’t be back in the foreseeable future as there are some other amazing things I look forward to achieving now like trying out Xterra and cutting my golf handicap from 9 to 0, but come next year I will definitely have some serious nostalgia.

What an amazing two years this was! I am indeed a very privileged person.

Edited by Snytjie

:D

If I can break 13 hours I'll be over the moon. I wasn't blessed with any fast twitch fibers so my strategy is kinda limited to an average run and bike. So I'm thinking 6.5 hour bike and 4h45 run to get me there or thereabouts. I will also refrain from braai ing in transition. My Achilles heel in the past.  :P   

I broke 13hours! 12h53. 

Swim: 1h18

Bike 6h40

Run4h22

And then 30 minutes spent in transitions.... oh well. :blush:

So chuffed about the run. 25 minutes quicker than my previous best. Not too bad for a mtbiker. :P

Anyway as already mentioned, fantastic event as always. Back for more next year for sure. 12 hours? Will see.

I again on Sunday realised what a special event this is, from competitors, spectators, organisers, volunteers and family. My day went as planned with a few dark moments on the run. The swim was tough, bike was relatively easy and the marathon was good for two laps and then it was hell. Its difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced an Ironman marathon the pain and mind games that happens on the run. I finished in 12:41, 4min faster than planned. I enjoyed this one much more than 2014. I think the changes to the course made this a much better experience for all.

Biggest congrats to my wife for finishing her first in just under 16hrs. Amazing woman.

I will not be doing this anytime soon again . The time and family sacrifices needed for training is just to much, but it's definitely not my last.

Congrats to everyone reaching the start line and those who finished.

Edited by ADe

what stands out for me during the entire event is just how blessed we are to have those volunteers and supporters on the route. words cant describe how special they make you feel, they kept me going the entire run, at no point did i find myself suffering, feeling sorry for myself or in a in a dark hole all alone. from the teeny weeny smiling two year olds who you have to bend down to high five to the very old people who just always say the right thing or crack a joke to get you going again to everyone else inbetween. im truely grateful to each and everyone one of them, i just wish i could thank them all in person. they the real stars of the show. iv never done an ironman anywhere else but cant imagine how another place can top this crazy crowd. its madness out there some sections the crowd was so close either side of you that becomes a blur all you hear is screaming and cheering and before you know it you another 1km done and much faster than you planned. hats off to them they make my race.

what stands out for me during the entire event is just how blessed we are to have those volunteers and supporters on the route. words cant describe how special they make you feel, they kept me going the entire run, at no point did i find myself suffering, feeling sorry for myself or in a in a dark hole all alone. from the teeny weeny smiling two year olds who you have to bend down to high five to the very old people who just always say the right thing or crack a joke to get you going again to everyone else inbetween. im truely grateful to each and everyone one of them, i just wish i could thank them all in person. they the real stars of the show. iv never done an ironman anywhere else but cant imagine how another place can top this crazy crowd. its madness out there some sections the crowd was so close either side of you that becomes a blur all you hear is screaming and cheering and before you know it you another 1km done and much faster than you planned. hats off to them they make my race.

Amen !!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Only a pleasure cheering you guys on , the vibe was insane , my palms are raw and my throat is scratchy from all the cheering 

Hi Guys

Started with swimming and running end of July. Had my first tri in August...never thought I would Finish an IRONMAN in April. Thanks for all the support and great tips guys, it really helped. Had only run a 21km before the race so had to keep the bike really steady to save some legs for the run and my swim was dead slow, but had a great race.
Swim 1:41
Bike 6:05
Run 4:55
Total: 13:02
Was soooo impressed with the race and the support on the run and bike. Can see why you guys enjoy it so much.
Well that is number one...will have to see if Number 2 is on the cards eish.
Well done to everyone who completed it, it is a really tough one. 

You are so right, every word rings true. I had to plan my walks so that I don't walk during those sections where all the people were cause I almost felt like I was disappointing them. A little kid, probably 4-5 years old looked at me on the last lap and said "jy kan dit doen oom"... made me tear up. Damn kids.....

edit: spelling

Edited by New2tri

Wow, reading all these stories stirs that deep rumbling in my tummy, both of happiness and pain.

My day went well, not too sure if I swam more than I should have, but my Garmin said I swam 4.5kms, came out the water 1;06, which I was happy with considering the swells and the choppiness of the water.

On the bike felt good, until the last 45kms, toes went hellishly sore, so tried all things to get the pain away, likely still managed a 5:37, so was happy with that.

Was looking for a 4:15 run, but with cramps from the heat sneaking in, opted for a run/walk strategy. Finished the run in 4:28 (I did manage to take off 15mins off my time 2 years ago)

Total time: 11:24 (which was 6mins under my target time)

As mentioned above, the crowd was phenomenal, definitely the best form of legal doping!!

Wow, reading all these stories stirs that deep rumbling in my tummy, both of happiness and pain.

My day went well, not too sure if I swam more than I should have, but my Garmin said I swam 4.5kms, came out the water 1;06, which I was happy with considering the swells and the choppiness of the water.

On the bike felt good, until the last 45kms, toes went hellishly sore, so tried all things to get the pain away, likely still managed a 5:37, so was happy with that.

Was looking for a 4:15 run, but with cramps from the heat sneaking in, opted for a run/walk strategy. Finished the run in 4:28 (I did manage to take off 15mins off my time 2 years ago)

Total time: 11:24 (which was 6mins under my target time)

As mentioned above, the crowd was phenomenal, definitely the best form of legal doping!!

Wow, fantastic boet. Congrats. Not sure if I'll ever get sub 12 hours. Just broke 13 for the first time this year on my 3rd IM. I guess, I'll have to train a lot smarter to get there. Or maybe it's all about the bike and I must just replace my road bike with a TT bike? :D Just kidding...    

Biggest thing I also changed this year is a bit more intensity in my run training and added 2 gym sessions a week for the last 3/4 months. Did strength work before but not nearly as much as this time. Was extremely time limited this year so went for the best bang for my buck options.

Hoping that the extra strength work will be there for me in the last hour or 2...

I'm quite curious to hear how it went?

My lesser volume/more strength-quality-speed approach did not work, unfortunately. I either did not do enough of the shorter sessions, or it simply doesn't work for me. I suspect the latter. Last year I did much more volume and my endurance was better. This year I was faster/stronger but my endurance let me down in the last half of the run.

My AG placing confirms this. Last year: 111/308 = 36%. This year 138/313 = 44%. So I dropped 8 points despite an additional year of training...