Why guys must fight the exodus from golf to cycling

Red Zone

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I am a cycling convert from golf.  I still play golf once in a while but from a dedicated once a week addict I can say cycling definately has pull at present.   

- I find cycling more expensive than golf.  I can get a good golf set for R20k.  But a good bike is R40k then you need the power meter, Garmin etc. 

- You do'n't pay green fees but the weekly MTB race you do is R200 is as much as round of golf. 

- It is amazing I have 15 unwatched episodes of SuperGolf on my PVR and I am right up to date with SuperCycling

- I have hardly watched a live golf tournament on TV all year but watched some of the spring classic races. 

- There are definite health and fitness benifits to cycling but cycling is much more dangerous.  Rd cycling is always a thrill a minute with cars whizzing by and MTB is even more dangerous with a broken collarbone around the corner. 

- The thing I like about cycling is the work you put in is what you get out in fitness, speed and endurance.  In golf you may train like a machine but still play crap. 

A good game of golf is hard to beat.  That feeling of striking the ball sweetly and playing 8 shots better than you handicap makes you feel a million bucks.  The endorphens released by cycling is great but not as good as a top round but those r too far and between.  Usually you are pissed off with losing balls and missing putts. 

Sadly Saturday morning can only fit one or the other and cycling is winning.  (though I have done both on 1 day and golf suffers)

But here is the real thing ... you don't need power meters, GPS gizmo's or expensive bikes (or races for that matter) to enjoy cycling!

But here is the real thing ... you don't need power meters, GPS gizmo's or expensive bikes (or races for that matter) to enjoy cycling!

And the feeling you get at the bottom (as well as aaaaaall the way down) when you're smashing every jump, drop, rock garden and corner so well, and it just.... sings. Many a time that I've had those little "wooohooo!" "aiyeeeee!" Or some such other expression of glee as I'm coming down The trail with some mates. It's primal. And ALL the endorphins fire. And the feeling lasts and lasts and lasts.

Golf = stupid.

You hit a little white ball into the bushes with a stick, spend 20 minutes looking for it and then what do you do when you find it???? You bloody well hit it away again!!!

Insanity!!!

I think the author is right. Am very much in favour of golfers sticking to their game of sticks and balls instead of climbing across to our side of the fence.

Next thing you know we have knobbers riding around in checkered bibs or caddies running around the Spruit with spare tubes

Can I sign a petition anywhere insupport of above?

Golf = stupid.

You hit a little white ball into the bushes with a stick, spend 20 minutes looking for it and then what do you do when you find it???? You bloody well hit it away again!!!

Insanity!!!

5 minutes, not 20.

According to the rules, you're only allowed 5 minutes. That's another reason I stopped playing - took about 6-7 hours out of a day.

I used the 5 minute rule to my advantage when playing competitive matches (club champs, handicaps and scratch league). So mate, 5 minutes up - declare you ball lost. They either concede thr hole or head back to where they ladt hit the ball from.

I must say I am a cycling convert from golf. I still play golf once in a while but from a dedicated once a week addict I can say cycling definately has pull at present.

- I find cycling more expensive than golf. I can get a good golf set for R20k. But a good bike is R40k then you need the power meter, Garmin etc.

- You do'n't pay green fees but the weekly MTB race you do is R200 is as much as round of golf.

- It is amazing I have 15 unwatched episodes of SuperGolf on my PVR and I am right up to date with SuperCycling

- I have hardly watched a live golf tournament on TV all year but watched some of the spring classic races.

- There are definite health and fitness benifits to cycling but cycling is much more dangerous. Rd cycling is always a thrill a minute with cars whizzing by and MTB is even more dangerous with a broken collarbone around the corner.

- The thing I like about cycling is the work you put in is what you get out in fitness, speed and endurance. In golf you may train like a machine but still play crap.

A good game of golf is hard to beat. That feeling of striking the ball sweetly and playing 8 shots better than you handicap makes you feel a million bucks. The endorphens released by cycling is great but not as good as a top round but those r too far and between. Usually you are pissed off with losing balls and missing putts.

Sadly Saturday morning can only fit one or the other and cycling is winning. (though I have done both on 1 day and golf suffers)

You don't need a 40k bike, gadgets and gizmos. And if you don't get The High often enough, the trails you are riding are not technical enough, or you didn't push hard enough. Go challenge yourself on every ride like you challenge yourself every time you step up to the tee, but do it without him, GPS and the works. Just you, your bike and the mountain. And if you feel lekker after riding, you won't need data to confirm that you had a good ride.

And you don't need to race every weekend, go have a lekker group ride with mates, then the race entry is swapped out with a permit fee at whatever trail centre you ride. The post ride beer and food might klap the wallet, but it could have happened at the 19th hole as well.

You don't need a 40k bike, gadgets and gizmos. And if you don't get The High often enough, the trails you are riding are not technical enough, or you didn't push hard enough. Go challenge yourself on every ride like you challenge yourself every time you step up to the tee, but do it without him, GPS and the works. Just you, your bike and the mountain. And if you feel lekker after riding, you won't need data to confirm that you had a good ride.

And you don't need to race every weekend, go have a lekker group ride with mates, then the race entry is swapped out with a permit fee at whatever trail centre you ride. The post ride beer and food might klap the wallet, but it could have happened at the 19th hole as well.

Some solid advice here.Give this man a Bell's![emoji106]

Some solid advice here.Give this man a Bell's![emoji106]

Awesome Philip. ......You just summed up mtb as it started and it's inner soul

Archived