Collar Bone

Damm....... Feel your pain. Broke my left one 3 times and the right one once...... 6weeks I wish on no one.

This must be a Hub record for doing collarbones! :eek: Were they all cycling related?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a Hub record for doing collarbones! :eek: Were they all cycling related?

both my left and right were.... 

One riding off a 3m cliff (yes, I know) and the other sliding out on some moss in a corner. 

Right wrist was the same mossy corner. 

Left wrist was a trampoline

Right hand (scaphoid) was parking lot touch-but-i-thought-it-was-tackle rugby. 

both my left and right were.... 

One riding off a 3m cliff (yes, I know) and the other sliding out on some moss in a corner. 

Right wrist was the same mossy corner. 

Left wrist was a trampoline

Right hand (scaphoid) was parking lot touch-but-i-thought-it-was-tackle rugby. 

Well, I always knew you were afraid of NOTHING! :eek:

Damm....... Feel your pain. Broke my left one 3 times and the right one once...... 6weeks I wish on no one.

Hectic.

Yoh!

You must be a stunt man

Edited by ' Dale

I had this last year plus a few other breaks. Stick out your 6 weeks without risking it and google what to eat (and not to eat / drink) in the way of protein etc for bone recovery. I swear it helped me.

• 11 months later...

Ok, so clearly there is enough experience here with broken collar bones

Out of interest, how many of you who have had a plate inserted have had it taken out again.

My doc advised me that its a safer option if I want to get back on the bike, as it would allow for the collar bone to break again should I fall

I only know form one person who had it done, this was about two years ago. Never heard anything from him again on his performance etc.

Grade 2 tear on my AC shoulder ligament  and 3 fractured ribs from overcooking a table jump and coming down hard on my shoulder and head

Its only been 3 weeks but feels like 3 months already  !!

Some say its better to break your collar bone and get it repaired that try sit and wait for ligaments to heal ??

def gonna have to sit this 6 - 8 weeks out ansd let it heal properly

Broke my collarbone on 19 March .Surgery was done 3 hours after fall 17  days ago .My first ride was the next Sunday ,60km on road bike .Since then 4 rides with mtb and i think i will be ready for Clarens .Exactly last year same time a had a grade 3 AC joint tear o the other shoulder that took 6 months before i was pain free 

Know how you feel. Stuffed the wrist up a few years ago in a non cycling mess around, the doc said it had to be operated on asap so end of January(4 years ago) had the op and was in a cast for a few weeks. Most amount of argus training on an indoor trainer ever. Had already entered for R4S and emperors(it always used to be before argus) so rocked up to pick up my numbers(goodie bag) with the wrist in a cast :w00t:

Get well soon!

PS: why is it always 6 weeks????

Initial wound healing takes 6 weeks for any wound 

I dislocated my collarbone and tore all three ligaments in my shoulder while on a ski trip in Italy (day 3 of 11).

The worst thing was that even in a sling and a special brace, during the first two days after the fall, the bone kept sliding in and out of place. It was probably the most uncomfortable I have ever been.

Sat out my six weeks, with no operation (doctor's recommendation), with a few (read as tons of) safe hours on the IDT and I have been back on the bike for about two months and feeling great with 99% mobility back.

It is hard to say, but the IDT kept me sane.

Dammit, you guys are lucky, when I did mine, many many years ago, we had the figure of 8 treatment. That was eina and uncomfortable.

Out of interest, how many of you who have had a plate inserted have had it taken out again.

My doc advised me that its a safer option if I want to get back on the bike, as it would allow for the collar bone to break again should I fall

I have taken my plate out again after.  No issues. 

Was done fairly "localised".  At the doctors' offices.  I was awake.  Remember the pressure when they unscrewed the bolts and the weird sound when they took the plate out.

That was about 10 years ago.

Broke mine in a crash at the Argus (CTCT) on 6 March, had the plate put in on the 10th March, already back cycling (did my first ride last weekend) and doing Emperors this weekend.

Doc says I can only run on the treadmill, which have been doing since 10 days after the op and hoping on the 18th April when I see him again he will give the ok to start swimming.

For the 4 days before the operation to insert the plate, could hardly move, even a day after the op was able to do a 5km walk without pain and have tried to keep some fitness on the wattbike.  

If you are a cyclist have been told is a good idea to have the plate removed in about a year... the Doc sort of described the collar bone a a fusible link to lessen the impact of any fall .. so will have the plate and screws removed in about a years time.

i went back a few month to inquire about having mine taken out.

i was told to leave it in unless it gave me major discomfort. would have to be really bad for me to want to go back though all that pain.

Was worried about the effects of what would happen if i crashed again, again was told it would probably break along one of the screw, and i would have enough space on either side to re plate it.

My plate is about 8-10cm  with 9 screws.

have don't plenty riding (2 epics) with a few crash's ,no problems yet.

Just my experience, good luck with yours

Broke mine in a crash at the Argus (CTCT) on 6 March, had the plate put in on the 10th March, already back cycling (did my first ride last weekend) and doing Emperors this weekend.

Doc says I can only run on the treadmill, which have been doing since 10 days after the op and hoping on the 18th April when I see him again he will give the ok to start swimming.

For the 4 days before the operation to insert the plate, could hardly move, even a day after the op was able to do a 5km walk without pain and have tried to keep some fitness on the wattbike.  

If you are a cyclist have been told is a good idea to have the plate removed in about a year... the Doc sort of described the collar bone a a fusible link to lessen the impact of any fall .. so will have the plate and screws removed in about a years time.

My accident was the 24 Aug 2015, broken collar bone and fractured shoulder blade. Doc is happy all is good, happy to take the plate out which I plan to do on the 5th May, which will be just over 8months

I plan on taking it out as I would rather have the collar bone break again, than who knows what else.

I was more curious as I've hear many people choose not to take it out