Pro kit? Every other sport does it!

Brickleberry

So let me get this right. It's ok to buy a bike that a pro team rides, it's ok to buy a helmet because the same type is used by a pro team, it's ok to buy shoes, saddles, pedals, the list goes on, because a pro team uses them. But as soon as it's branded with the team colors of other sponsors it's not ok?

I ride a Pinarello, so having a Pinarello shirt is ok or not? Most of my riding kit, bibs and jersey are Assos, branding all over. That ok or not?

I happen to have been born in the Czech Republic, I have a Czech cycling jersey, that ok? I was born there and carry the passport so should be ok on that one.

My view, you like it, you buy it, wear it, most of us look like a bunch of pillocks anyway. Skin tight kit with gut hanging out, shaved legs, bike better than most pro teams.

As long as you are out there on your bike enjoying it. What is the difference?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as you have the right to like a certain kit, others have a right to not like it..... You don't need to agree to get along.

I have always been very proud of my father who was a “Springbok” (not cycling), so such so, that one day as a 12 year old, I donned his tie to a function. He was horrified and promptly advised me that if I wanted to wear such a tie, I needed to earn it…

Anyone who has attended any sort of trial and done their best to impress the selectors will understand the pressure of sitting in a room waiting for their name to be called as a member of a team (or racing their guts out to make the cut), be it club, provincial or national, sheer elation or total detection.

Perhaps my values are different, but to wear last year’s provincial or national track suite to a trial was considered bad taste. Were you stating that you should be automatically selected? Imagine the embarrassment of yesterday’s hero slinking away if he didn’t make the cut. Even the subtle statement of wearing “provincial” socks was frowned upon.

I understand the commercial side of selling “Springbok” and other team shirts, but really, all it really states is “I’m a wannabe”.

Imagine how the real team members scoff at these jokers (even though they will sign shirts and pretend to be their best mate in need, it’s business after all).

Would a  member of a national team wear their jersey off the field? No chance, it conflicts with an unwritten code that spectators / supporters will never be party to.

It is a great pity that many sports have prostituted themselves in this way. If you have to support some team, wear their colours, but an exact replica of the team shirt.. get a life.

Hopefully, they will not start selling provincial/national/professional team blazers and ties any time soon, fortunately, these still have true value.

It’s simple, if you make the team you have the right to wear the shirt, if not wear something else.

Puhleeeze. It's a shirt FFS. If you have some kind of religious veneration for articles of clothing, then by all means live your life according to your code, but don't criticise others for not doing the same.

Imagine how the real team members scoff at these jokers (even though they will sign shirts and pretend to be their best mate in need, it’s business after all).

It is a great pity that many sports have prostituted themselves in this way. If you have to support some team, wear their colours, but an exact replica of the team shirt.. get a life.

or maybe they realise that it's part and parcel of professional sport. supporters buying and wearing replicas brings in revenue, which pays salaries. they also promote the headline sponsors further, which makes sponsorship more valuable.

I'm sure ABSA factor in having their four letters prominently displayed on boeps all over the country when they sign up with SARU.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2738568/Manchester-United-Real-Madrid-continue-replica-shirt-sales-charts-selling-average-1-5m-year.html

I have always been very proud of my father who was a “Springbok” (not cycling), so such so, that one day as a 12 year old, I donned his tie to a function. He was horrified and promptly advised me that if I wanted to wear such a tie, I needed to earn it…

Anyone who has attended any sort of trial and done their best to impress the selectors will understand the pressure of sitting in a room waiting for their name to be called as a member of a team (or racing their guts out to make the cut), be it club, provincial or national, sheer elation or total detection.

Perhaps my values are different, but to wear last year’s provincial or national track suite to a trial was considered bad taste. Were you stating that you should be automatically selected? Imagine the embarrassment of yesterday’s hero slinking away if he didn’t make the cut. Even the subtle statement of wearing “provincial” socks was frowned upon.

I understand the commercial side of selling “Springbok” and other team shirts, but really, all it really states is “I’m a wannabe”.

Would a member of a national team wear their jersey off the field? No chance, it conflicts with an unwritten code that spectators / supporters will never be party to.

Hopefully, they will not start selling provincial/national/professional team blazers and ties any time soon, fortunately, these still have true value.

It’s simple, if you make the team you have the right to wear the shirt, if not wear something else.

honestly, this is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever come across. You seriously need to cheer up a bit, lad. I'm honestly flabbergasted after reading this. I've bought the kit the football team I support for probably the last 10 years. Each year I buy a new one. Not because I'm a wannabe but because I love my ******* team. What a load of tosh.

Wear what you want. Either way we all look like this guy's shadow. Team kit or not

You do know that's a cartoon right? It's not like it's proof of anything other than the artists feeling towards cyclists. And you are aware that this is a cycling forum right? A place where cyclists gather and people are usually pro cycling.

Oh hell never mind.

It is called a PRO kit for a reason. Nothing wrong with wearing a vest/gillet/jacket to show your support for the team, but to race in the kit... It has to be kept in mind that the pro's earned that kit and is quite an honor to wear it and race in it. It all boils down to preferences I presume, but lets give some respect where respect is due.

You do know that's a cartoon right? It's not like it's proof of anything other than the artists feeling towards cyclists. And you are aware that this is a cycling forum right? A place where cyclists gather and people are usually pro cycling.

Oh hell never mind.

I thought most here here had a sense of humor :D. Really doesn't change the way it looks from the outside in. I wear the same ridiculous clothes.  Whether I look like an idiot or not.  Don't have to look at myself, that is a bonus.

I wear what I have, can afford and looks cool to me. Don't give a rats @ss what any one thing nks. And Def don't care about some "rules"

I have been given many a Qhubeka kit as part of a few events and tours,

Would I prefer a full black assos Kit, of course but I can't afford it so I wear what I have.

The only time I have become really concious about the Qhubeka kit is after I bought a Qhubeka trek from a pro friend of mine.

I will avoid wearing my Qhubeka kit when on the Qhubeka trek!

I have been given many a Qhubeka kit as part of a few events and tours,

Would I prefer a full black assos Kit, of course but I can't afford it so I wear what I have.

The only time I have become really concious about the Qhubeka kit is after I bought a Qhubeka trek from a pro friend of mine.

I will avoid wearing my Qhubeka kit when on the Qhubeka trek!

Haha....that combo would make you look like a wanna-be.......[emoji48]

Oh hell never mind.

Is called a sense of humour, even cyclists have it.

Archived