What is your Training & Race fuel???

All I can say is .. The guy using GU's on the local trails YOU"RE A FUCINGK CHOP. 

Stop dropping your sachets, If you're too *** to keep up with your other chop mates Fcku off!! 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Training under 2.5 hrs: black cofee

2.5 plus: Oats, banana, water, caffeine

Racing: Eggs, Toast, Cadence, caffeine

Train: Oats, water and whatever fruit I have. Organised ride (some call it races): Oats GI32 or game (whatever I have packed) and dry worse or nuts, whatever I have. I'll start training on whatever supplements I will use in a organised ride a week and a half before said ride, so my tum tum can get used to it.

Training up to 3 hours = 1 bottle water

Training over 3 hours = 1 bottle energy drink, energy bar or banana

Racing up to 3 hours = 1 bottle energy drink, gel which I take about half way

Racing over 3 hours = 1 bottle energy drink, 1 bottle water, gels, energy bar and banana 

I use Cadence Nutrition Marathon - nice blend of carbs and protein - coupled with the High 5 Zero Caffeine tabs. Works a charm. On long days I'll also pack two Jungle Oats bars and a Cadence or High 5 gel for the last 10km. It helps with recovery.

Water for short rides, I take a snack for in case. mostly banana mostly it stays uneaten

2 hour+ rides 32gi in the bottle bananas or Futurlife bars or biltong or whatever.

more than that normally includes stops at spaza shops or the spar in magallies etc which refills my banana supply and some water.

Racing, well I hardly call what I do racing, but when I am in a reasonable trained state, I will drop a zero high5 caffeine in my bottle when partaking in a race.

Cant stand gu's or gels etc... make me wanna chunder when it hits my mouth.

Cadence Carb Fuel to drink

Racefood nougat & dates to eat

Cadence Energy gel if I really need a energy jolt

Training: Water & Powerade, Jungle Oats energy bar 

When I was "racing" I'd shove whatever I could find in my mouth in the hope that I would stumble onto a wonder product that would compensate for the lack of training. What I did find out though (the hard way) is the importance of hydration....

Nowadays there is a LOT less racing (Actually no racing) and not as much riding as I would like TBH, but when it happens it's Game at the beginning of the month and Oros at the end of the month. Warm juice tastes better than warm water....

When the training starts again it will be as above (Game/Oros) on training rides of around 2hrs with a midway snack (PVM energy bar/Jungle Oats without chocolate and a salty potato) and the same on "race day".

Around the 1-2hr mark is plain water in a bottle with ice.

My 2cents.(Road)

In the week Mon-Fri.  Only Water. 50km rides before work. After ride a Nesquick when driving to work.

Sat & Sun - +-100km rides   Oats for breakfast....One water and one energy drink, cheapest I can find all work the same for me. At the moment USN makes a tub for R80. last me a month.

Raceday....Oats. 500ml bottle of energy drink before race, if still hungry a protein bar or jungle bar. One water and one energy drink. 1 gel @ 80km. After race- pig out on anything.

Water on short rides 40km and under.

For longer rides or races

Water with a Zero tablet in one bottle and plain water in another bottle.banana and something salty and a oats bar of some sort.I usualy drink a bit of coke or energy drink  at waterpoints further on the route if there are some.

All I can say is .. The guy using GU's on the local trails YOU"RE A FUCINGK CHOP. 

Stop dropping your sachets, If you're too *** to keep up with your other chop mates Fcku off!!

Cheez dude..sounds like you on rocket fuel, but yes I agree with you!!

The best refill i have ever had was stopping at Alehouse in broederstroom on th eway back from the cheesefarm. Had an ale and half a pizza, made the drag up the singletrack on the R511 most pleasant.

Hmmm, now I want an ale and a pizza....

Anything under 2 hours, no breakfast and just 750 ml water.

3 to 4 hours I will have pronutro / futerlife in summer and oats in winter and ride with one bottle with some electrolytes - I like the rehydrat sports stuff. I take a jungle energy bar just in case I feel the need for a little umph - but dont normally use it.

Over four hours I will have same brekko as above and take two bottles but now one has 32 GI -Endurance and an energy bar for just in case.

100 km race will be two bottles of 32 GI plus a bar or a gel or two. races up to 200 km will include some proper food such as bananas and fruitcake and coke for the final hour, races that take me up from 10 to 24 hours will just be whatever I feel like eating and drinking  from a smorgasbord of goodies after around 6 hours of normal race food

Wake up

Big glass of water (sip)

Future life or jungle Oats for breaky with coffee.

32GI in the bottle and Race Food in the pocket. 

Distance will vary the amount of food or bottles I take with.

Plus 100km rides, I'll take 1 or 2 bananas. 

-30km ride one bottle water no food. 

Archived