Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

I was hoping you will weigh in since your race is one of the benchmarks in what is needed for a very good race. The safest I ever feel on a bike is on the Panorama Tour when there are lots of marshalls around.

I held back on the cost as I wanted to see what people think is the rate. One reply so far, and I know the value quoted above is not realistic.

R550 per biker - it's almost a steal at that price - we used 25 this year, and I'm sure there should be more.

A few key points that organisers need to consider: 

• Every intersection needs to be manned by a marshal, with a traffic officer at every traffic light intersection. Marshals are NOT ALLOWED to direct traffic - if there's an accident, there's big $h1t if the traffic official is not present.

Marshals are not there to wave, support the cyclists but to ensure they can pass through the intersection with the least amount of disruption.

• At least one sector controller for every 12-15Km of the route - this person needs to drive from the start of the sector to the end and back again checking on the marshals in his sector.
  • The bike marshals also have sector controllers, that sweep their sectors, but they don't have any marshals fixed at a point.
  • On single carriageways, where there is little or no hard shoulder, there needs to be more bike marshals present to usher the cars through at a reasonable speed. You might see some bike marshals (that ride with your group) doing this, but it's not enough.
  • Sweeper vehicle - probably the most frustrating part for both rider and driver. The sector controller should pick up and riders on the route and drop them at the end of their sector, so he/she doesn't leave the sector uncontrolled. The cyclist needs to then wait for the sweeper vehicle, which can be up to 2 hours behind (depending on when you started). I was in VB at the FastOne, and needed a lift back to the start. I must have waited for about 30 minutes before someone stopped to ask if I was okay (excluding cyclists, as many asked), and was only picked up 90 mins after stopping.

Until you've been on the road, helping at an event, you don't really get an appreciation for the work and effort that is required to keep cyclists safe, and even then, safety is not guaranteed - the risks are mitigated. We are fortunate that we have about 60 active members that "work" for free on race day, as well as a few rotarians. The rest of the marshal count (we us 140 on the route) costs money.

I'm sure I can write a book about this, but each race is unique and the risks need to be analysed and an action plan for each needs to be in place. 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Buddy  affiliated with Think Bike Marshals says  they get between R300 and R400 each depending on the event ... 

Financially not feasible but they do it for protecting Us   (some time back they were doing it at no charge ), well he was anyway...

Gerald that's very comprehensive. Thank you. When you say 25 were used, at which event are you referring to?

Sorry, for those that don't know.

I belong to Germiston Wheelers and we organise the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic.

I am the *unofficial representative* for them on the hub.

* read: I may have my own opinions too, but I'll keep them separated from fact.

I'm keen to know what we as the "Customer / Cyclist " can do to improve and / or add value to these events.(Asside from giving more money)..

As  a newbie a few years ago i was blown away and captivated by these racing events , one of the reasons I am addicted to this Sufferfest of a  Passion ... Its sad for the next generation to miss out on that bussle of excitement.

I think many might disagree with my next comment, but think about it...

Cycle clubs should get more involved, and partner with a race. Collectively (a club) give(s) up one race per year, and help out as marshals, assist with the route planning, and so much more. Don't expect anything in return - except compliments from your fellow cyclists. Take a mediocre race, make it unique and hopefully the standard improves. Cyclists know what is expected from a race, and many event organisers know how to organise the logistics around the race - together they can make it work.

I know we have more clubs that events (excluding your "om-die-kerk") - talking Gauteng only.

Cycle clubs should get more involved, and partner with a race. Collectively (a club) give(s) up one race per year, and help out as marshals, assist with the route planning, and so much more. Don't expect anything in return - except compliments from your fellow cyclists. Take a mediocre race, make it unique and hopefully the standard improves. Cyclists know what is expected from a race, and many event organisers know how to organise the logistics around the race - together they can make it work.

I know we have more clubs that events (excluding your "om-die-kerk") - talking Gauteng only.

Yup, that's how the runners do it. And they do it with great success.

I'm helping with 2 events, but I ride the second event. Call it passive assistance in the interest of cyclists safety (which is relative).

Well if it's a model that works in running, and for Carnival City, why not? Perhaps the BikeHub could partner with a race, although our national geography could be problematic??

It used to count towards points in order to get your Gauteng cycling colours

These guys seem to have a good attitude... Free photos even...

Received this in an email...

Good morning everybody

It is with great pleasure and appreciation that i send you this email today, First of all i want to thank each and every cyclist that made this event possible. Secondly BIG Kudos to each and every rider that finished the race in those windy conditions! it certainly was a race to remember.

Now for the appreciation part! As you are probably aware, all the proceeds of this race is donated to Meals on Wheels. Because of your support, i am very proud to announce that we have managed to raise just over a R100 000.00 for meals on wheels. It is very important to mention that if it was not for every individuals contribution and support this would not have been possible.

As a last thank you we have loaded a link to the race photos on our website. If you find a photo of yourself please feel free to download a copy free of charge. www.spectrumsportevents.co.za

We certainly look forward to seeing you all at the next event

best regards

Spectrum Sport Events

These guys seem to have a good attitude... Free photos even...

Received this in an email...

Good morning everybody

It is with great pleasure and appreciation that i send you this email today, First of all i want to thank each and every cyclist that made this event possible. Secondly BIG Kudos to each and every rider that finished the race in those windy conditions! it certainly was a race to remember.

Now for the appreciation part! As you are probably aware, all the proceeds of this race is donated to Meals on Wheels. Because of your support, i am very proud to announce that we have managed to raise just over a R100 000.00 for meals on wheels. It is very important to mention that if it was not for every individuals contribution and support this would not have been possible.

As a last thank you we have loaded a link to the race photos on our website. If you find a photo of yourself please feel free to download a copy free of charge. www.spectrumsportevents.co.za

We certainly look forward to seeing you all at the next event

best regards

Spectrum Sport Events

Guess I will be supporting RFV next year :thumbup:

It appears that we should start pressing for more bike marshalls. The cost will be minimal and most cyclists will be prepared to pay for something tangible .

Guess I will be supporting RFV next year :thumbup:

Was actually the Meals on Wheels race :-)

But yeah, apart from the parking at R4V (dusty, just like D2D), the race was safe and the drinks were COLD at the finish.

Was actually the Meals on Wheels race :-)

But yeah, apart from the parking at R4V (dusty, just like D2D), the race was safe and the drinks were COLD at the finish.

Ag no man, are we back to talking about three races while the thread title only mentions two? ITs been a long week here :blink:

Ag no man, are we back to talking about three races while the thread title only mentions two? ITs been a long week here :blink:

So does anyone know when the Amshova seedings will be sent out :ph34r:

So does anyone know when the Amshova seedings will be sent out :ph34r:

Yesterday

edit: add another race to this thread.

Archived