Newbie - entry level bike advice please

Rogueblue

Hi all

I'm newbie & need some help please.

I don't know a thing a bout mountain bikes but I want to get myself an entry level bike around about R5000.
There are so many makes & I know that components is what one should look at , but I also don't know much about that.
Could you please suggest any good quality entry level bikes? And what components name brands do I need to look for?
I've heard the Silverback is made by a local company & apparently there's a certain amount of debate regarding their quality vs other more well known, but then again I've also heard the Silverback get one better components for a lower priced bike to it's competition. Seen so far the Slade 4 & Stride 20 ... think Slade is the better one?

I'm sure a hard back will be fine as is cheaper too, but with decent front shocks that can lock when on road I guess ... and are brakes important for a beginner?
I'm not planning on doing any racing, it's more just for being active, so a bit on hard road and a bit of dust road now and then.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

TIA

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and ps ... what size bike am I looking at? I'm about 84kg & 1.79m height.

And what is the ideal wheel size for a recreational biker ... the mid 27.5" ?

Thanks again

Edited by Rogueblue

Hi

With that budget it would be best to get a second hand bike with decent components in the classifieds section on the hub.

Bikes and components are expensive and you don't want to buy something only to want to upgrade after a few months.

Judging by your height, a large would probably suit you best.

If you see something you may like in the classifieds section, post it here and we will tell you if the bike is decent or not.

Remember that you will need at least a helmet to start with, so keep that in mind.

Welcome to the hub and happy bike hunting :thumbup:

Edit: Spelling

Edited by SpilledCoffee

If your just looking for a recreational bike I would advice two things given your budget.

1. Save a little more and aim for R7500. You'll get a lot more for that extra R2.5k

2. 26" will be more than fine and cheaper than 29"

There are always good deals on the hub just get someone with some knowledge to look at the bike before you buy. You are looking for a large 19" Frame. ( get a bike fit )

Welcome :thumbup:

The hub is a great place to look for bikes so would start at the classifieds here and search for what is in your budget.

Components can always be upgraded so a frame in good nick is important. If the bug bits you will upgrade no matter what.

I like shimano components and slx or xt are as sure winner with components.

I would try spend as much as you can going in to get somthing decent that wont fall apart....ie..no makro specials. .hahah.

As the previous comment, helmut is compulsory and then there are gloves, shoes, shirts, shirts, camel pack and all the other accessories that go along.

One more thing, say goodbye to any disposavle income you have :-)

keep an eye on the ads on the hub

you will see  really good spec used 26' mtbs for sale don't get stuck on a brand name

a good used 26 hardtail will do what you want it to do ,if you want full suspension you may have to spend a bit more money

check out ads that you think will meet your requirements then ask on here about the specific bikes in the ads ,components shocks etc and get some feedback about what others think about the bike you like and the price etc  to help you make a well advised purchase

don't get too into all the extra stuff till you have decided you are really into riding you can wear what you like and use any helmet in the beginning and you don't need all this kit to get started that can come later if you want it

Good advice from velomonatiCT.

Also remember the more expensive the components the more you will pay to replace them.

Shimano SLX is your best bet. Reliable, strong and affordable.

If your just looking for a recreational bike I would advice two things given your budget.

1. Save a little more and aim for R7500. You'll get a lot more for that extra R2.5k

2. 26" will be more than fine and cheaper than 29"

There are always good deals on the hub just get someone with some knowledge to look at the bike before you buy. You are looking for a large 19" Frame. ( get a bike fit )

Welcome :thumbup:

Good advice but not so sure about the size bit - I'm 1.79 and at that height you really are on the borderline between medium and large. It might come down to different makes frames fitting in different sizes.

Or put another way the OP should try out both medium and large before buying.

If you are new to the sport I suggest going new. You have the peace of mind of a warranty and the bike shop will make sure it is set up for you properly.

If you can stretch your budget, as mentioned earlier, you will get something just so much better.

Silverback is a brilliant brand. You get lots of bike for your money and they have the best aftersales service in the industry.

Other brands that offer quality bikes in your price bracket are Momsen, Axis, Titan and Avalanche. All are SA brands

If you are new to the sport I suggest going new. You have the peace of mind of a warranty and the bike shop will make sure it is set up for you properly.

If you can stretch your budget, as mentioned earlier, you will get something just so much better.

Silverback is a brilliant brand. You get lots of bike for your money and they have the best aftersales service in the industry.

Other brands that offer quality bikes in your price bracket are Momsen, Axis, Titan and Avalanche. All are SA brands

Having gone through this in 2013 and not riding competitively or hectically I have to agree with the new bike thing. If the bike turns out to be not right you at least have some recourse with a bike shop. I bought a slade 4 /2014 model - enjoyed riding it, would probably still be if I hadn't bought the wrong size , I was advised to get an air fork , so I spent a bit more and I've been riding my bike (silverback WSD) for nearly 2 yrs and it's looking scratched up with my falling all over the place, but holding up well.

Another +1 on new.

Got a Titan Comp 2 months back and loving the thing. The comp requires a bit more budget though.

If you get one from Cajees, don't let them set it up. Take it to a real bike shop for the setup.

... and are brakes important for a beginner?

No, not at all. They just add weight and complexity. You've got plenty to think about on a bike without having to worry about two extra levers on your bars.

And you can save loads of cash by specing the bike without brakes.

Also, the minimalist look is really cool. Just remember the old adage; Form over Function, and you'll be golden.

No, not at all. They just add weight and complexity. You've got plenty to think about on a bike without having to worry about two extra levers on your bars.

And you can save loads of cash by specing the bike without brakes.

Also, the minimalist look is really cool. Just remember the old adage; Form over Function, and you'll be golden.

Only when you're going downhill do you do stand up humour. Uphills you sit down!  :ph34r:  :devil:

You get so much more bang for your buck going 2nd hand than new. But you need to ask yourself how capable do you feel understanding and doing basic maintenance? This will be your key between deciding to get more bike for the same cash or choosing a new option to outsource the maintenance concerns to a first time sale with a dealer.

Do you have 10 fingers or 10 thumbs.

If the former then 2nd hand.

If the latter don't bother at all.

26 - 27.5 - 29 for now it does not really matter.

In this case SIZE does matter - most important aspect.

Not wheel size but frame size.