When should you help out a fellow rider?

NixM

eish its Monday and looks like this could be a Friday thread!!!

my 2c is i always offer to help each and every single person i see stranded for a few reasons:

1. i have ( in my humble opinion) very good mechanical knowledge around a bicycle, i have ( via trail and expensive error) broken and fixed many bikes and as a result know what to do and what not to do- help is free and so is a good attitude about it, kindness costs me nothing.
  2. i feel that people may, as has been stated in one post never carry spares because someone will always stop and help but i also know way too many people that are new to the sport, by new this could be a month or in the case of Sani a years worth of cycling that have never needed to learn what spares to carry or even how to use them, yes the practical logical thinkers out there prefer to be prepared but not everyone thinks that way.. i prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt
  3. my spares are for me primarily however if i chose to give them out then they are no longer mine and i consider them a gift to make the person i am helping enjoy the rest of his day/ ride as far as possible.
  4. if i have volunteered my help or spares i accept that some of the guys i have helped may actually buy me the elusive promised beer but i do not expect to see anything from it.
  5. i believe kindness costs nothing.

as i say these are my thoughts.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cable ties 

Ductape

Chain lube

Piece of "blou draad" -  What is this?

Extra cleat bolts - Good idea going to add that to the pack

Extra valve

Small patch of tube/rubber

Hand pump

Recovery gel

Antihistamine tablets

Bandage/plaster

Staaldruppels - ? Again my Afrikaans fails me

Blitz Stick glue

Surgical latex gloves - For a rectal exam?  :eek: 

WD40

Tampon (or three)

Leatherman multitool

.....and 3L fluid bladder.....and capacity to carry an extra 6kgs on your bike.

I have evolved to the same opinion after helping and ending up walking home and needing the spares that I gave away. The exception is if you used up your chainlinks, bombs or plugs.

A few months a go I had a puncture on my road bike.  I was nearly done changing the tube when a fellow cyclist stopped to ask to help.  He kept me company while reinflated my new tube. Just as I was about to put my wheel back on the new tube burst.  I had overlooked a small piece of glass in my tyre. (I was sure I had got all the glass out) Anyway I needed a new tube and was so glad he was there.    I drove to his house the next day to replace his tube.  Glad there are some good samaritans out there!

net so.

if you've used up your spares I'll help, but the weight weenies not carrying anything and expecting others to help won't even get a "you okay?" from me.

Can somebody explain why the general rule is that mountain bikers will help each other out but road cyclists won't? (I won't nit pick, I know there are exceptions to this on both sides) 

I'm not racing for the podium on either bike, but then neither is anyone else in the groups I start in. I'll help where I can...and I accept there is a better chance of seeing a unicorn and the Loch Ness monster posing for a photo together than seeing that beer ;) :P

Cable ties 

Ductape

Chain lube

Extra valve

Hand pump

Recovery gel

Antihistamine tablets

Bandage/plaster

Staaldruppels - ? Again my Afrikaans fails me  Antisepctic stuff like mercurochrome. Chalybeate drops - containing ferric chloride (I think)

Blitz Stick glue

WD40

Tampon (or three)

Leatherman multitool

so you stopped to help which is the noble thing to do ..well done :thumbup:

then you forgot to eat or drink and bonked

how did that become the fault of the guy you helped ?

the two don't rely compute do they ?

console yourself that despite your having a shitty day because you bonked your day was made better because you helped a fellow cyclist :clap:

Being part of the mountain biking community is more than being about "me, myself and I". When people like NixM help out others, even if at a cost to themselves, it shows that some of the original mountain biking sense of ubuntu still exists.  :thumbup: 

Can somebody explain why the general rule is that mountain bikers will help each other out but road cyclists won't? (I won't nit pick, I know there are exceptions to this on both sides) 

I'm not racing for the podium on either bike, but then neither is anyone else in the groups I start in. I'll help where I can...and I accept there is a better chance of seeing a unicorn and the Loch Ness monster posing for a photo together than seeing that beer ;) :P

If you are talking about road races, well because its usually just a puncture, and honestly, you should carry a tube. If its more serious another cyclist probably wont be able to help anyway, a support vehicle/marshal will be along shortly.

If you are talking about road training, well then you are talking nonsense. Anybody who stops their bike in Cradle etc during a weekend ride will get asked by at least 10 people "are you ok"... I cant check my messages on my phone without people wanting to stop and help.

Edit: MTBers will obviously stop too, as you cant leave someone up in the mountain on their own. a puncture 10km up a mountain is a little different to a puncture in a road race where you are on the road with hundreds of other people.

I'll always help when I can. Helped a lady at Xterra. About 1km into the mtb leg her chain had come off and she didn't know how to put it on.

At Houw Hoek a girl fell off a bridge in front of me on the best section of singletrack of the day in a beautiful indigenous forest and took a nasty knock to her head. We stayed with her until she was feeling ok to walk out. Instead of riding, we walked with her until we got to the jeep track to make sure she was ok.

One thing I learnt, know the emergency numbers!!! I had a moment of what the hell do we do now when we first came across her.

We have also been on the end of some help at Berg and Bush. My partner had a problem with his left crank and it would have been a long walk back if it wasn't for a very knowledgeable sweep who helped.

If you are talking about road races, well because its usually just a puncture, and honestly, you should carry a tube. If its more serious another cyclist probably wont be able to help anyway, a support vehicle/marshal will be along shortly.

If you are talking about road training, well then you are talking nonsense. Anybody who stops their bike in Cradle etc during a weekend ride will get asked by at least 10 people "are you ok"... I cant check my messages on my phone without people wanting to stop and help.

Edit: MTBers will obviously stop too, as you cant leave someone up in the mountain on their own. a puncture 10km up a mountain is a little different to a puncture in a road race where you are on the road with hundreds of other people.

I was talking about racing, and your edit makes the point I was going to, that whether you have a tube/bomb MTB riders generally stop, no matter how many people are around.

I think helping out is one of the special things about mountain biking. Unfortunately there are some that will take advantage but i think for the most part it "we all out here enjoying the mountain together"

Cable ties 

Ductape

Chain lube

Extra valve

Hand pump

Recovery gel

Antihistamine tablets

Bandage/plaster

Staaldruppels - ? Again my Afrikaans fails me

Blitz Stick glue

WD40

Tampon (or three)

Leatherman multitool

Staaldruppels:

INDICATIONS:

Staaldruppels is made up out of ferric chloride. Staaldruppels may be used for iron deficiency anaemias. It is also effective in stopping bleeding resulting from minor cuts and wounds....

...en brand so bietjie wanneer op 'n oop wond geplaas word :unsure: .

Bloudraad application:

post-41755-0-83479900-1431934048_thumb.jpg

Surgical latex gloves:

For any serious drive train problem.......keeps the hands clean.

(....or to insert Tampon into irritating moangat....... :devil: )

net so.

if you've used up your spares I'll help, but the weight weenies not carrying anything and expecting others to help won't even get a "you okay?" from me.

LOL the "I dont carry anything with me" response usually only comes after the "you ok?" question was asked already.

The other day on Breedts I gave a tube to an orange Pyga stuck next to the road with a flat tyre. He hasn't had a puncture in three years, so didn't think it necessary to carry anything.

When we got back, there were only 2 cars left in the parking lot - ours and theirs. I did feel a bit miffed when they (the Pyga and his brother) arrived a bit later and didn't even walk over to say thank you when they arrived.

Should we help a fellow rider? 

I cannot control other people's responses, but I am responsible for my own. So I think yes, next time I'll help again if I can.

Staaldruppels:

INDICATIONS:

Staaldruppels is made up out of ferric chloride. Staaldruppels may be used for iron deficiency anaemias. It is also effective in stopping bleeding resulting from minor cuts and wounds....

...en brand so bietjie wanneer op 'n oop wond geplaas word :unsure: .

Bloudraad application:

attachicon.gifChain-690x462.jpg

Surgical latex gloves:

For any serious drive train problem.......keeps the hands clean.

(....or to insert Tampon into irritating moangat....... :devil: )

Eish Barhugger....I'm sure you a really nice guy being all prepared and all.  But the idea of going for a ride in the bush with someone that has cable ties, duct tape and surgical gloves in their bag makes me worry a bit :wacko:  :w00t: I'll bring my mace thank you :whistling:

Eish Barhugger....I'm sure you a really nice guy being all prepared and all.  But the idea of going for a ride in the bush with someone that has cable ties, duct tape and surgical gloves in their bag makes me worry a bit :wacko:  :w00t: I'll bring my mace thank you :whistling:

Let's just hope there isn't any chloroform and Vaseline in his bag...  :ph34r:

tumblr_msibx8DpuJ1stk9xvo1_500.gif

Let's just hope there isn't any chloroform and Vaseline in his bag...  :ph34r:

Ah-hem..........

post-41755-0-59288200-1431935133_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-77620200-1431935138_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:  :devil:

Archived