When should you help out a fellow rider?

NixM

So lets expand the scope a bit.........not only share spares, but also goo, gels, sweeties, secret power juice and water.

That 3L bladder does not seem such a bad option now.........come prepared.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading most of the comments I get concerned for my fellow man. Why do you expect anything in return when offering assistance? Why not offer assistance with an open mind and without your personal baggage. See what happens.

I assisted a chap in the last 94.7 and he was over the moon when I told him I wanted nothing in return for giving him a tube and bomb after his second puncture of the day. We shook dirty hands and both smiled ear to ear as we rode off both with hearts a joy.

I would rather someone not offer me assistance if they had an alternative agenda.

Just my 2 cents worth.

About a year ago we came across a couple in Tokai, the girl had broken her wrist. We splinted it with pine branches and used a spare tube as a sling. Her boyfriend pitched at my partners work a week later with a bar of chocolate and the tube! I promise you I did not stop to assist with the alternative agenda of wanting a bar of chocolate as payment. I did it because I knew I had the skills to help .

I stopped this time, not because of an alternative agenda, but because I knew I had something that was the only way he was going to be able finish day 2 - bar going SS. 

I got annoyed when I realised how unprepared he was:

-  he was not carrying an allen key,on a mountain bike that is really not bright. I thought of giving him mine and continuing on but what if my partner or myself needed it later (which we did). So i spent 20 min with him while easy a hundred other riders passed by happily (thanks to the 2 guys who did stop and finally sort it out)

- he and his partner where not riding together, they announced at the start it is a team event so you can help out your team mate in an emergency. He had not seen his partner since the start ( in his defense he was swearing about his partner in very colourful language)

- I did not give him a R30 bomb or R50 tube I gave him a R200 emergency derailleur that I carry on me for one of my older trail bikes ( I now need to replace this). Now R200 is certainly not going to financially ruin me but it would buy me a nice bottle of pinot noir.

A simple "sorry what's your name /  can I return this to you this evening / buy you a drink"  would have just been polite. At least that's how I would have reacted.

- And remember the organisers even sent a message saying carry a spare hanger.

Reading most of the comments I get concerned for my fellow man. Why do you expect anything in return when offering assistance? Why not offer assistance with an open mind and without your personal baggage. See what happens.

I assisted a chap in the last 94.7 and he was over the moon when I told him I wanted nothing in return for giving him a tube and bomb after his second puncture of the day. We shook dirty hands and both smiled ear to ear as we rode off both with hearts a joy.

I would rather someone not offer me assistance if they had an alternative agenda.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Those who know me will know i carry more spares and stop to help more often than most. When it comes to races I agree with Rudi H - when I have paid money to enter a race and I'm pushing to my modest limits then stopping to help an unprepared rider won't happen unless they are injured or at risk.

Bear in mind races are organised, there are sweepers, water tables, marshals etc so even if they have to walk out it is not the whole course distance and the lesson is learned.

On a fun ride I will always offer assistance. I don't expect anything for it but if I received a bomb / tube / brake pads etc from someone I would feel obliged to pay or replace them.

Came across a guy on day 3 with a broken chain but didn't carry a power link! Go figger!

John? ;-) lol

If someone needs help, I'll stop and help. Can't believe that people will purposely go unprepared and rely on the kindness of strangers. If they do, good luck to them. I certainly wouldn't. I really don't expect to hear from you again if I help you and normally forget about it as soon as I move on.

Day 2 of Sani was going well we were riding comfortably getting ready for the long climb out of the valley. Next thing we come across a guy with a snapped derailleur hanger. I carry a small bike shop worth of spares including an emergency / universal derailleur hanger. So I stop and give it to the guy explain to him that instructions are on the packaging. He says thanks but he doesn't have an allen key! We ask were his partner is he says no his partner is riding ahead and has not seen him in a long time.

So I spend 20min helping him get some sort of usable gears. In the meantime I send my partner ahead as I am the stronger rider.

Now no good dead goes unpunished. The guy I have been helping does say thanks but doesn't even ask my name or take my race number in case he wanted to buy me a drink to say thanks. I then start racing to catch up to my partner i don't drink or eat enough and bonk badly on Nandos hill, .

Overall it just left a bad taste in my mouth and really ruined day 2 for me.

So in the future what should I do?

- Ignore everyone with a problem in a ride as they are likely to be unorganised, unprepared and ungrateful.

- Stop and offer any spares i have but not give up my time.

- Or do exactly the same and give spares and time in the hope that that person will pay it forward in the future?

Had this last year on the cradle trophy... While I was packing my tools after helping the guy he just jumped in his bike as sped off... Guess you get some knobs, but I still stop and help

I am entering a lot of races and trying to put in as much training as I can to do well and improve my seeding both MTB and Road. After Philidelphia MTB race I moved up from ME to MD, despite have a 10 - 15  minute mechanical. So every minute counts if you have goals and racing yourself, which I do. That day plenty of riders passed me whilst struggling to sort out my problem, they didn't even bother to ask if everything is ok. But do you know what, I'm ok with that, they chasing their goals, I'm bleeding or dead. The oke who eventually helped me was an oke who's tubbies let him down.He sorted me out, i sorted him out. I do expect the higher seeded folks to be well be prepared, you didn't get there a week ago riding a Makro special.

In Porcupine where the shorter distance rides meet up with the full distance we stopped for an 'oldish' man who took a tumble in the sand, he was eventually ok. got on our bikes and 100m further a noob (oldish dude as well, his first outing out on a mtb race), He lost all pressure (took a tumble too) in front tyre, he didn't even know how to use the bomb. So we tried bombing up his wheel, no seal. I gave him my spare tube taped to my seat post, and told him to pull out the valve on the rim and fit the tube like he did when he was young and off we went. So it is good to help.

So I invest alot in the sport, it takes time, its my break from work and I have goals, Stopping for an MA a rider looking for a bomb whilst I'm riding lekker now becomes a difficult choice

For those of you carrying tampons/sanitary pads for woundcare... rather get some proper pressure dressings.

http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=1026

Lotsa words. Nonsense. If you think roasties presents with serious hemorrhage you have not seen serious hemorrhage. Perfect dressings.

For injuries I always stop, at least to check if it is serious or not. Once or twice I was able to help someone with a serious injury. Time or inconvenience has no place in this decision. It got paid forward until the day I was the one in need of some help to the hospital. I'll always help if I can and I expect nothing in return except that I know Karma likes me.

As for mechanicals and punctures, I make a judgement call on each one and decide whether to help or donate spares to strangers or not. Friends I will always help, even if it might get me stuck later.

I am entering a lot of races and trying to put in as much training as I can to do well and improve my seeding both MTB and Road. After Philidelphia MTB race I moved up from ME to MD, despite have a 10 - 15 minute mechanical. So every minute counts if you have goals and racing yourself, which I do. That day plenty of riders passed me whilst struggling to sort out my problem, they didn't even bother to ask if everything is ok. But do you know what, I'm ok with that, they chasing their goals, I'm bleeding or dead. The oke who eventually helped me was an oke who's tubbies let him down.He sorted me out, i sorted him out. I do expect the higher seeded folks to be well be prepared, you didn't get there a week ago riding a Makro special.

In Porcupine where the shorter distance rides meet up with the full distance we stopped for an 'oldish' man who took a tumble in the sand, he was eventually ok. got on our bikes and 100m further a noob (oldish dude as well, his first outing out on a mtb race), He lost all pressure (took a tumble too) in front tyre, he didn't even know how to use the bomb. So we tried bombing up his wheel, no seal. I gave him my spare tube taped to my seat post, and told him to pull out the valve on the rim and fit the tube like he did when he was young and off we went. So it is good to help.

So I invest alot in the sport, it takes time, its my break from work and I have goals, Stopping for an MA a rider looking for a bomb whilst I'm riding lekker now becomes a difficult choice

why treat them MA riders differently? What if all his spares is used up & still failed him? For e.g. Rider MA used all his bombs & plugs but eventually had to put in a tube only to puncture 5kms later? Or he offered his multi tool to another rider in need but now he needs one himself since said rider never caught up to him yet?

Karma is an evil bee with an itch or a good friend. Help those in need cos one day you will be needy.

I like helping people but of late I`ve become a little less eager to help those who should know better, like the race snake who doesn`t carry a bomb or a tubeless kit, I`m starting to think , `Stuff you, weren`t you the **** who told us to get out the way 10 minutes ago but now you have a puncture and don`t even carry the minimum spares with you?` Am I your mobile spares shop? Very convenient to bum stuff off others when you want to ride as light as posslble`, especially in a race. I have also lost 2 pumps in these altruistic efforts so now I`m a bit more cynical.

When I`m out training or having a fun ride I will always stop to ask if they need assistance and I will always help a newbie/amateur or female rider because It`s the right thing to do. When I race with my wife I try to stop and assist as many riders as I can and catch up with her later, this is good training as I constantly have to play catchup and it keeps me amused, my record is 7 assists ( 4 punctures) in one race.

why treat them MA riders differently? What if all his spares is used up & still failed him? For e.g. Rider MA used all his bombs & plugs but eventually had to put in a tube only to puncture 5kms later? Or he offered his multi tool to another rider in need but now he needs one himself since said rider never caught up to him yet?

Fair point,but I was more thinking about the okes that don't carry what they know they should be carrying. An oke who is just having pure rotten luck on the day and have depleted everything is a different story.

After reading this thread the past few days, I went to Revolution Cycles to go buy me that 'hanger' and the shop assistant pulled out a bike and showed me how to replace it.

Fair point,but I was more thinking about the okes that don't carry what they know they should be carrying. An oke who is just having pure rotten luck on the day and have depleted everything is a different story.

After reading this thread the past few days, I went to Revolution Cycles to go buy me that 'hanger' and the shop assistant pulled out a bike and showed me how to replace it.

Going to get myself a hangar too (also cause of this thread). Will grab one wed when I go fetch my bike from its service.

I like helping people but of late I`ve become a little less eager to help those who should know better, like the race snake who doesn`t carry a bomb or a tubeless kit, I`m starting to think , `Stuff you, weren`t you the **** who told us to get out the way 10 minutes ago but now you have a puncture and don`t even carry the minimum spares with you?` Am I your mobile spares shop? Very convenient to bum stuff off others when you want to ride as light as posslble`, especially in a race. I have also lost 2 pumps in these altruistic efforts so now I`m a bit more cynical.

When I`m out training or having a fun ride I will always stop to ask if they need assistance and I will always help a newbie/amateur or female rider because It`s the right thing to do. When I race with my wife I try to stop and assist as many riders as I can and catch up with her later, this is good training as I constantly have to play catchup and it keeps me amused, my record is 7 assists ( 4 punctures) in one race.

......and also you have no choice when SWAMBO oders "Ag help so bietjie daar, ek ry solank aan." Mine was three assists with broken chains during a race last year in Magoebaskloof........and then you play catch-up.

If that happened then i doubt my extra bomb / tube / chain link would be any good, probably a sign that Karma was paying him a visit....

Archived