Table Mountain Access

Blackheart

And as I stated above, I am willing to accept that and even pay if I get fined.

The amount of money is not the issue. The issue is an unreasonable and wrong approach to access and payment that put cyclists in a Catch22 situation. They make it impossible to do the right thing and then want to punish us for it.  

fully agreed. this is an issue of apathy on behalf of sanparks. the mere fact the stooge at Tbl Mtn suggested going to tokai for a day permit without blinking is rectal-cranial inversion of the highest order. Its an unnecessary lack of service delivery based on sheer laziness.

fuggem, go ride and dont pay the fine. Let it cause an furore. Will finally shine some light on parks' reluctance to brain.

I have run into the SANParks officials on numerous occasions whilst riding on TM, and not once have I been asked if I had an activity card or if I had paid for a day permit. They even gave me a lift down the mountain once when I had a nasty sidewall and had dropped my tube.

Are the officials even aware that a card is necessary, or are they accepting that people are going to ride there and if they get stopped, will just play the "the office isn't open today" or the "I didn't know we needed a card to ride here" act?

i say honesty box and all money goes to TMB to make new single track

You comedian you! :D

I have had similar issues in the past. I even went as far as emailing sanparks about possibility of allowing one to pay there as they already have pay points. 

This just shows how incompetent they are and they they are the wrong people to be charge of the management of the mountain. Pity it is such a mission to get the right people aware an involved to make the necessary changes

Jussis this gets my neck up. So essentially only yearly permitted riders can ride on weekends? What next, they'll think up a fine for grazing your unicorn on the mountain?

Problem with that approach is that, no matter what, you're breaking the law and they could fine you. And considering the current climate, that is likely

BUT. is it really breaking the law? 

Ranger: where is your day permit

Rider: I don't have one

Ranger:but you need one

Rider:I went to the tokai office to get one, but it was closed. 

EVEN metrorail know how to handle this. if you don't have a ticket on you - you can say that the office was closed at the station you left at. the oke will check if it was and then furnish you with one on the spot. otherwise it's a R40 spot fine.

:clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  

typical selfish cape towners attitude :

the rules apply to everyone else when it suits me !

but don't apply to me when it doesn't suit me !

just remember that when a taxi prangs you or a mugger mugs you ....it didn't suit them to obey the rules because of whatever reason they could think of at the time ! :blink:

you guys crack me up :w00t:

just remember this attitude when you are on another thread bashing someone/thing for not agreeing with your version of what is right :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I didn't even know that you need a permit to ride on Table Mountain... go figure...  

What about all the runners and hikers that access the mountain - do they also need a permit?

I didn't even know that you need a permit to ride on Table Mountain... go figure...  

What about all the runners and hikers that access the mountain - do they also need a permit?

No, they do not, they get access for free. The muggers too, unless they ride a mountain bike or walk their dogs.

typical selfish cape towners attitude :

Nope, it is the duty of all who hold fairness and justice dear, to protest when the powers that be act in a clearly wrong way! This is my way of protest in this specific case. Nothing more, nothing less, and it will end the day they correct the situation. SANParks are aware of this. They have been for months. 

• 9 months later...

Archived