The Spruit Upgrades - Thanks to the Fairies

Paul Ruinaard

Well, just a year back there was no sign posting at all. So if you didn't know the area and you weren't paying attention....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@100Tours, I know a great skills coach who can help you with little bumps and jumps on the trails.

That wooden little bridge was erected after someone unfortunately hit that ditch unaware and was killed !

Killed? Really? Wow! Okay then...

Killed? Really? Wow! Okay then...

Elderly gentleman riding with his son and grandson last year, hit that ditch and went over the bars. He died in hospital later, so yes WOW................

Edited by coppi

Agree that some of the signage is cluttered and could do with better placement/alignment.
That said this is a pilot project and for me I noticed those three arrows straight away in the picture. I don't think there can really be any blame on the builder's part.

So yes perhaps there is room for refinement and implementation, which is why this is a pilot project. But it also upto the rider to be riding within themselves. 
Given the accessibility of the Spruit and high usage it has a pretty good safety record.

Dear Spruit fairies (not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm loathe to start a new thread)

Please re-think this.

The project is run by Jozi Trails. Follow them on their facebook page or check out their web page http://jozitrails.co.za/

Maybe you could post on their facebook page? They are still piloting and I'm sure they'd appreciate any ideas to make it more user friendly.

Edited by cat-i

I've been riding the spruit since 1998. Maybe you can leave a card in the run out area where the newbies end up once they've hit it.

@100Tours, I know a great skills coach who can help you with little bumps and jumps on the trails.

The project is run by Jozi Trails. Follow them on their facebook page or check out their web page http://jozitrails.co.za/

Maybe you could post on their facebook page? They are still piloting and I'm sure they'd appreciate any ideas to make it more user friendly.

Even better, make a donation. I had no idea. I've benefited a lot, so made a donation now.

Even better, make a donation. I had no idea. I've benefited a lot, so made a donation now.

Really? Wow!................okay then

Edited by coppi

Perhaps, as a suggestion, an arrow at the junction 30 or 40 m before the gap and where the main line splits off to the right (as Patches pointed out a bit earlier) showing the normal route.

The decision to take on the jump or the wooden bridge then becomes a conscious one.

Perhaps, as a suggestion, an arrow at the junction 30 or 40 m before the gap and where the main line splits off to the right (as Patches pointed out a bit earlier) showing the normal route.

The decision to take on the jump or the wooden bridge then becomes a conscious one.

I think this is the winner. I would say most people don't even know of this deviation, because they just go straight down.

Technically speaking, the signs/markers are an admission of liability by the body that posted/erected them

That gap, as with most gap jumps in the Spruit have been there for more than 5 years. Now that the someone finally takes responsibility and post a warning sign, people start to complain about the placement of said warning sign. Unbelievable....

What next? Are the sponsors going to be blamed for uneven, lose surfaces and the deep sand under the bridges?

This is exactly the kind of thing that make sponsors reluctant to get involved with these sort of projects. 

Let's just go back to the wild west where there where no sponsored security guards, trail builders or signage of any kind. The Spruit was actually more fun back then. Crazy stuff all over the place.

If it looks like a jump, it's a jump...not a hump. I made the " jump without looking" mistake only once and landed on my face. 

The Spruit is still mountain biking, the same rules apply as any where else:

Look before you hit anything: That means stop, and have a look...