Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

This is not ethics, it plain economics.

I must agree.

It is economics and it is service I will be willing to pay for. If somebody makes a business from taking over the responsibility of selling my bike and holding it as stock I will gladly give him a 25% margin just like any other business. He will win some and loose some.

Sellers who don't want to part with the margin can wait patiently for the right buyer.

Now the seller simply has options.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what is sad?

Say you are out bargain hunting and you come across a BMC for R23.5k. You as a frequent buyer and expert in the prices of bikes immediately spot this as a bargain - something sold below market value.

Since we are talking ethics, would it then not be the ethical thing to do and say to the seller: You know what, this bike is actually worth R32.5k. So let me do the ethical thing and buy it from you for the higher price?

In my point above you as the buyer is ripping the seller off knowingly - but it is ok because it suits you. So how do you argue ethics one way but not the other?

You said blatantly excessive profit: The price of anything is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it and not what the seller asks for it. If the price you ask is to high and no one ever buys what you are selling, then you were never planning on selling it anyway.

This is not ethics, it plain economics.

If a seller has decided what price he wants to sell and there is a willing buyer, there is no rip off...Was this bike worth R23k. Probably. Is it worth R32k for 2011 model. Well lets see if it sells...I bet on NO CHANCE.

Sorry say what you will. I still think its all in bad taste. But nothing illegal or evil. We all make up our own minds where to buy and what we prepared to pay.

There is a bit more than pure economics...Being comfortable with a buyer or seller is part of the buying process. If there is zero trust between the buyer and seller, chances are there won't be a transaction.

If a seller has decided what price he wants to sell and there is a willing buyer, there is no rip off...Was this bike worth R23k. Probably. Is it worth R32k for 2011 model. Well lets see if it sells...I bet on NO CHANCE.

Sorry say what you will. I still think its all in bad taste. But nothing illegal or evil. We all make up our own minds where to buy and what we prepared to pay.

There is a bit more than pure economics...Being comfortable with a buyer or seller is part of the buying process. If there is zero trust between the buyer and seller, chances are there won't be a transaction.

that very fine thin line between need and want..... cause if you want it, you will even overlook the integrity rule

If a seller has decided what price he wants to sell and there is a willing buyer, there is no rip off...Was this bike worth R23k.

WHAT?

So the original buyer sold the bike for R23.5k - no rip off.

But if the re-seller sells it for R32.5k (Willing buyer, willing seller) it is a rip off?

Huh???

EDIT: Oh and I do agree that when "feelings/emotion" is brought into economics, it is no longer economics.

It is called remorse.

Edited by The real MJ

WHAT?

But if the re-seller sells it for R32.5k (Willing buyer, willing seller) it is a rip off?

Huh???

EDIT: Oh and I do agree that when "feelings/emotion" is brought into economics, it is no longer economics.

It is called remorse.

Bud, take your B hairs out of your chain sprocket. Yes, exactly what I'm saying. I guess when a shop has a sale, you ETHICALLY refuse to buy because you ripping them off??

Without emotive drive everyone would be riding the same cheap bike. Economics is not the only reason people buy on the Hub...

No remorse here. I landed up with a better buy from a willing seller... :eek: There is always another bargain around the corner  :whistling: 

I would say that we are dragging this ONE event out longer than necessary.

Time for another cup of coffee :thumbup:

WHAT?

Huh???

It is called remorse.

You are implying there is nothing else to business but money, definitely for some people it is that way, generally I try avoid them at all costs.

Also chill bro, why so worked up, is there maybe something you need to tell us?

The problem with the buying and selling is not so much the people willing to pay the price, what's questionable is that not everyone has the opportunity to constantly watch the classifieds. So when others get home fron work for example, and really do need a bargain most of the bargains have been snapped up for resale at a higher price later on. It may be business, but a bit inconsiderate for a community forum

Edited by zaney

The problem with the buying and selling is not so much the people willing to pay the price, what's questionable is that not everyone has the opportunity to constantly watch the classifieds. So when others get home fron work for example, and really do need a bargain most of the bargains have been snapped up for resale at a higher price later on. It may be business, but a bit inconsiderate for a community forum

And how would you consider this to be changed......?

You can setup notifications in the classifieds section so that you are notified immediately after a particular item is listed. So if you're looking for brakes, a hardtail etc. then check the relevant boxes and you'll be notified every time a new item within that category is listed.

If you expect the 'community' to wait for you to get home from work to consider a bargain then you're going to miss out every time sadly.

I understand why people are pissed at them for doing it , but please just accept it and move on.

Or go buy every bargain on the site and keep it on your garage just so they can't resell it.

I think that's the point.

People are accepting it, but that doesn't mean that they must agree with it.

And if part of the process of accepting it, is by voicing their ethical concerns, then so be it, we need to accept that too ;)

Edited by Patchelicious

I think that's the point.

People are accepting it, but that doesn't mean that they must agree with it.

And if part of the process of accepting it, is by voicing their ethical concerns, then so be it, we need to accept that too ;)

Accepted.

That's the question. Do you differentiate the classifieds from the forum community or are they the same thing? Personally I rarely, if ever, look at the classifieds, even when I lived in SA, but would be interested to know if there is a large contingent that looks at the classifieds and has zero interest in the community aspect?

You'll be amazed at how many hubbers there are who joined 5 or more years ago and have zero posts who respond to well priced items for sale. So yes, there is.

we are in A capitalistic market.

And trust me when A capitalist sees A gap to make money he/she WILL take it. Thats how people become rich. To them its business thats all , no place for emotion.

post-17321-0-48784400-1486667607_thumb.jpg