Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I am ticked. This is not the first time this has happened but this is 3rd time in almost as many days where I buy something and there is confirmation that I am first after which the seller sells it to the next/another person. I can only assume for a better price. This is to my mind totally unethical. Both on the seller and the new buyer's part. Am I just being upset over nothing? 

The general sales/purchases on the site has been great from my perspective but is certainly going down. I buy a fair amount yes. I buy for my greater extended family that does not have the finances most have. I look for a bargain yes. I see the potential use for the individual in need. Of late though it seems to happen more an more often where a sale is not represented as indicated. I have bought a XT wheelset in "great condition" with a shot rear hub and freewheel. Frame in good nick with shot /seized pivot bearings. Forks with shot stanchions that are "perfect". These have mostly been a met with an attitude of "wtf are you on about? You bought it. Your problem... " And of late a host of purchases that "sorry another guy took it" after I confirmed I am taking it..

I have never given anyone a bad seller rating. Taking it on the chin. I am however going to start now. And I urge all to do the same. Maybe it will resolve the general slide and decline of moral values in the classifieds. Rant over.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well obviously it's not a perfect system, but it opens goods to a much wider market. in general this is a good thing. For me, calling dibs is ok and all, but given the option of some oke on the other side of the country who shotgunned it first vs another keen buyer who lives 10minutes away and is bringing cash now - I find it hard to say the guy has to stick with #1 - hno guarantee he will buy it.

BUT, why complain in a thread. when the rating system is there for exactly this purpose? It's like taking the horse to water, but not being able to make it to drink.

rate people honestly. that's all you need to do. 

Seems to have been a bit if that lately. Guys trying to pull you into a bidding war, guy promising but then baulking and saying there was this other guy first, dudes not answering mails or posts and what ever.

Guess it's part of the deal. I try to be super honest about my stuff and generally most guys I've dealt with are as well. I've had two cr*ppy deals in the last year where things are 'vgc' and then pretty buggered. Either you contact them or suck it up... One I contacted and we worked it out and one I just let it go.

Guess rule of thumb is if you can't see it in person then don't throw large coin at it and always rate - good or bad.

Had the same situation on two previous occasions. Last one I was on my way to close the deal but was informed on arrival that a fellow Hubber informed him the item was worth more , and he obviously accepted the higher offer.

Should maybe look into starting a new auction thread on the forum.

Should maybe look into starting a new auction thread on the forum.

ah, the beauty of the platform. There's nothing stopping you from running your sale like an auction - you don't even need to set a price. Freemarket principle will sell your item quickly, at the right price or not at all.

But don't be a chop about it. because if you do, then you deserve the ratings you get. (actually that's true for life in general - don't wake up planning to be a d005, be lekker)

Totally agree JTK. I don't have a look at the classifieds anymore. Not much in the way of ethics there.... Bought a fork in "great condition" - the service cost more than what I paid for it. Could have bought top of the range and bagged some change. Seller showing a 29r frame, but the one he had was a 26r. After telling him so, he still kept advertising it as a 29r. And your word means nothing here... Find sellers will sell their souls for an extra R10, after the deal is concluded... CRC it is.

People like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Quite frankly, if I am selling something I can sell to whoever I want to. It's my thing. Even if you called dibs, if another person offers me more, I have the right to sell it to that person.

Unethical is someone advertising something as like new but when you get it, it's a piece of ****.

You have the right to sell to whom ever you want...but if you confirm that you will sell the item to the first in line them stick to your word!

Unless of course you need bread money :ph34r:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Bought 2 R1k+ items from totally unknown persons living more than 1000 km away. In both cases the items were in excellent condition and asking prices too low IMO.

The rating button is for there for the good and the bad. If I were to rant I'd rant that not enough people use the rating button!

But the buyers changing their minds thing - it's more just being a common box than unethical. Unfortunately there's no button for that  <_<

Totally agree JTK. I don't have a look at the classifieds anymore. Not much in the way of ethics there.... Bought a fork in "great condition" - the service cost more than what I paid for it. Could have bought top of the range and bagged some change. Seller showing a 29r frame, but the one he had was a 26r. After telling him so, he still kept advertising it as a 29r. And your word means nothing here... Find sellers will sell their souls for an extra R10, after the deal is concluded... CRC it is.

massive generalisation there, but sorry you had bad experiences - hope you gave negative ratings, because that will show that if your word means nothing, someone else will pipe up instead.

Let's flip this around.

One of my classifieds ads has had 11 separate people call dibs and confirm that they will be taking said item. 4 of those people I arranged a time/place to meet to do the sale. Not a single one of those people pitched and only 1 apologised for not being able to make it. Ultimately this exercise has been a giant time waster for me.

So, should I be giving all 11 bad ratings for a failed deal, or just the 4 rude people? I don't believe so; the seller is entitled to sell to whomever he/she wants and the buyer is entitled to back out of a deal. There is no contract until money/goods have exchanged hands.

This experience (and others like it) is why I'll happily do a deal with whomever is the first to pony up the cash.

Let's flip this around.

One of my classifieds ads has had 11 separate people call dibs and confirm that they will be taking said item. 4 of those people I arranged a time/place to meet to do the sale. Not a single one of those people pitched and only 1 apologised for not being able to make it. Ultimately this exercise has been a giant time waster for me.

So, should I be giving all 11 bad ratings for a failed deal, or just the 4 rude people? I don't believe so; the seller is entitled to sell to whomever he/she wants and the buyer is entitled to back out of a deal. There is no contract until money/goods have exchanged hands.

This experience (and others like it) is why I'll happily do a deal with whomever is the first to pony up the cash.

if someone calls dibs,you arrange a meeting point and they just disappear turn they are reliable? Put a rating there so the next seller doesn't waste his time, OR the buyer goes out of his way to improve his rating. Win win

These classifieds are a mess nowadays .. as bad as scamtree if you ask me and more expensive then a LBS !! .. havent bought from here in 2 years after i got sold a cracked frame and seller closed acc next day and changed phones ! used to buy ALOT !! 

I buy and sell all the time, 95% of the time with no issue.. there are always a few and that is why there is a rating system, so use it !!