Pyga or Spez :-)

werner1619

Got nothing better to do tonight,so just did. I see they're finally going with slacker angles, wonder when Pyga will think of this. Might drop Pat a line and suggest this startling development to him!

Still have proprietary rear shock, so expect to get spanked on that, and they're horribly overpriced, starting with the alu bike right through to tupperware versions. For a mass market bike you'd think they could try do a little better with their pricing.

They're also still graded to Condition 4, which means that Spez thinks they can only go over small jumps. They don't specify what a small jump is, so good luck with any warranty claims..

So all told, I can't find anything particularly special about them that they can do better than the Pyga.

In the end, the OP should ride both bikes and get the one that puts the biggest smile on his face.

Tom

Stumpy has 130mm of travel, and can take massive hits. I am, glad you like your Pyga, it is a lovely bike. But there is no need to diss the stumpy. Been around since the 80s, consistently rated in the top trail bikes each year. No proprietary stuff you speak about.

Edited by Johny Bravo

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got nothing better to do tonight,so just did. I see they're finally going with slacker angles, wonder when Pyga will think of this. Might drop Pat a line and suggest this startling development to him!

Still have proprietary rear shock, so expect to get spanked on that, and they're horribly overpriced, starting with the alu bike right through to tupperware versions. For a mass market bike you'd think they could try do a little better with their pricing.

They're also still graded to Condition 4, which means that Spez thinks they can only go over small jumps. They don't specify what a small jump is, so good luck with any warranty claims..

So all told, I can't find anything particularly special about them that they can do better than the Pyga.

In the end, the OP should ride both bikes and get the one that puts the biggest smile on his face.

Tom

Like JohnnyB said, the Stumpy has been around for decades and is always rated as one of the best trail bikes in a crazy saturated market. 

If Pyga had the cash to R&D proprietary tech, they would. Every manufacturer needs a piece of tech to take development forward. Let's take WRC for instance - Audi came in with the Quattro and decimated all of the RWD cars with their own proprietary/unique/different system and completely changed the game. 

The shock on the Stumpy is merely "tuned" for a specific feel and purpose and isn't some left-field skunkworks piece of equipment. 

we're looking for a more sophisticated answer than "make you look like a complete wannabe poser", right?!

Because everyone on a Specialized is a "complete wannabe poser" and everyone on a Pyga is a salt-of-the-earth, hardened trail rider that epitomises what mountain biking is all about? 

You should go visit an optometrist/ophthalmologist as you can clearly only see in two colours. 

Hi Werner1619

I have the Oneten29 and its a very capable bike and it works for me.

I cant comment on the Spez as I have never ridden one but I can comment on the Pyga.

Yes the Pyga is overpriced but how the bike handles and feels as an all rounder is excellent.

There are a couple of reviews on the Oneten29 that will help to get backround to.

At the end of the day its about how you feel on the bike and how the geometry of the bike works for you.

See the photo below? That's what's currently in my garage. PYGA 110, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Enduro.

post-3655-0-12329400-1434959946_thumb.jpg

Over the years, I've also had in my garage bikes from Nishiki, Bluegrass, Diamondback, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Wheeler, Giant, Scott and Intense.

Is PYGA better than Specialized, or the other way round? No. They're different. When you come here and proclaim that the brand you're riding is better than the next guy's, all you're doing is showing your inexperience. You're invalidating your statements by doing that. Do yourself a favour and go ride a few more bikes and then come back with some real-life experiences.

Back to the topic at hand: You can't directly compare a Stumpy to a 110, they're different bikes. The Stumpy has 130mm of travel and a slacker HA, it's a full-on big-hitting trail machine. The 110 is not, but it's more nimble as a result, even though it's pretty damn good at taking big hits due to how progressive the shock rate is. Hammering over gnarly stuff at high speed? The stumpy will win. Floating through the gnarly stuff with some clever line choices and then sprinting to the finish afterwards? You'll have a fighting chance with the 110.

Also, an interesting something I discovered this weekend. The PYGA's rear-end is significantly stiffer than anything outside of a downhill bike, at least as far as the bikes I've ridden go. Believe it or not, it's stiffer than the top-of-the-line Enduro S-Works also in the photo. This gives it superb carving ability when picking the clever lines mentioned in the previous paragraph. Does this make it a better bike? Again, no. It makes it different.

See the photo below? That's what's currently in my garage. PYGA 110, Specialized Stumpjumper, Specialized Enduro.

Over the years, I've also had in my garage bikes from Nishiki, Bluegrass, Diamondback, GT, Cannondale, Kona, Wheeler, Giant, Scott and Intense.

Is PYGA better than Specialized, or the other way round? No. They're different. When you come here and proclaim that the brand you're riding is better than the next guy's, all you're doing is showing your inexperience. You're invalidating your statements by doing that. Do yourself a favour and go ride a few more bikes and then come back with some real-life experiences.

Back to the topic at hand: You can't directly compare a Stumpy to a 110, they're different bikes. The Stumpy has 130mm of travel and a slacker HA, it's a full-on big-hitting trail machine. The 110 is not, but it's more nimble as a result, even though it's pretty damn good at taking big hits due to how progressive the shock rate is. Hammering over gnarly stuff at high speed? The stumpy will win. Floating through the gnarly stuff with some clever line choices and then sprinting to the finish afterwards? You'll have a fighting chance with the 110.

Also, an interesting something I discovered this weekend. The PYGA's rear-end is significantly stiffer than anything outside of a downhill bike, at least as far as the bikes I've ridden go. Believe it or not, it's stiffer than the top-of-the-line Enduro S-Works also in the photo. This gives it superb carving ability when picking the clever lines mentioned in the previous paragraph. Does this make it a better bike? Again, no. It makes it different.

I was looking at a Pyga and the Spez Stumpjumper.  After riding both  I ended up getting a Spez Camber Carbon.   I was never even thinking of the Camber frankly i didnt know it existed.  But after riding it it just felt perfect FOR ME.   As Martin says ride the bikes before you decide the bike you think you want is wrong and then the right one chooses you.

Hi Werner1619

I have the Oneten29 and its a very capable bike and it works for me.

I cant comment on the Spez as I have never ridden one but I can comment on the Pyga.

Yes the Pyga is overpriced but how the bike handles and feels as an all rounder is excellent.

There are a couple of reviews on the Oneten29 that will help to get backround to.

At the end of the day its about how you feel on the bike and how the geometry of the bike works for you.

Hi Martin

Before you go all GI Joe on my comment I was merely giving my experience on the Oneten.

No brand hoping or dissing the Spez I have never ridden the Spez as stated above so I merely said I cant comment on the brand or bike models.

By the way nice selection on bike choice there. ;)

I was looking at a Pyga and the Spez Stumpjumper.  After riding both  I ended up getting a Spez Camber Carbon.   I was never even thinking of the Camber frankly i didnt know it existed.  But after riding it it just felt perfect FOR ME.   As Martin says ride the bikes before you decide the bike you think you want is wrong and then the right one chooses you.

The Camber is also a bike I've ridden quite a bit in carbon form. In a 50km mixed XC/Marathon race I'd probably pick it over the 110, it feels super efficient while being very forgiving of mistakes. Great balance. It doesn't jump and rail berms with as much fun as a 110 though due to its longer chainstays and steeper HA, so if I was heading out for a day of fun on the trails I'd pick the PYGA instead. Both are very, very nice bikes however.

Again, horses for courses :thumbup:

Before you go all GI Joe on my comment I was merely giving my experience on the Oneten.

By the way nice selection on bike choice there. ;)

Thanks MTB MAN!

Don't worry, I wasn't targeting your comment at all, as you've said your experience is based on riding one of the two, which is perfectly fine!

attachicon.gifIMG_5130.JPG

That looks a lot like Hairys Stumpy?

And please stop posting pics of that flippen enduro. It hurts me like you would never understand.

Edited by Johny Bravo

You missed Friday mate. Two days late.

spez polarising debates are limited to only one day a week?! news to me!!

If anything PYGA is doing damn well with the amount of hate they seem to have attracted. Cannondale must be jealous right now. To the OP, best you add some salt to some of these opinions!

spez polarising debates are limited to only one day a week?! news to me!!

If anything PYGA is doing damn well with the amount of hate they seem to have attracted. Cannondale must be jealous right now. To the OP, best you add some salt to some of these opinions!

Pyga has tons of support....

Are they doing well, hells yes, but its not in spite of hatred, they are doing well because they have good products and tons of local support.