Oval chainrings

Christo

My first stunt bmx had an oval chainring and I ended up never riding it because i'd break the chain everytime a climbed a hill. oh and the creaking of the chain from tensioning too much and then slacking also annoying. round just makes sense

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am riding flats with my oval. What I have found is that the oval ring eliminates the hard push on the pedal when your pedal reaches the top. (if you understand what I am trying to say)

Basically because its oval, it is a fluid motion apposed to pedal press hard pedal press hard etc

I was on my 1st ride with my oval chainring (on SS)when I crashed and have not ridden bike for 3 weeks.

But my impression of the effort to move the pedal through the 12 O clock position matches your explanation.

My wife took my SS for a trial ride last week and improved her one Strava climb segment by 30 seconds on a 500 m climb.

I was on my 1st ride with my oval chainring (on SS)when I crashed and have not ridden bike for 3 weeks.

But my impression of the effort to move the pedal through the 12 O clock position matches your explanation.

My wife took my SS for a trial ride last week and improved her one Strava climb segment by 30 seconds on a 500 m climb.

Awesome, I have noticed an improvement in my climbing, but the fitness still lacking :blush:

Awesome, I have noticed an improvement in my climbing, but the fitness still lacking :blush:

Due to huge pressures at work last year my biking time was halved and I picked up 4kgs in weight.

I was planning to do some serious riding during my 2 weeks leave and drop some excess weight and improve my fitness. Instead I crashed on the 2nd day of my leave and will have additional excess weight after my six weeks recovery period to add to the even lower level of fitness.

Marc, A couple of the guys from the club have gone oval on their road bikes and they say it has made a big difference. One thing I noticed on Saturday was we went out before the club ride for a rosebank loop and as we where climbing one of the steeper climbs the guys still on normal rings where in the small blade and those on oval where still in big blade. Now i'm not sure if it was just coincidence or not but the theory behind it makes sense. We tried it on the tandem and it didn't work at all.

So is this 26" a TREK?

Yep def a TREK, SRAM equiped of course :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can find a Direct Mount Oval chainring for a BB30 crank?

Seems they are impossible to find  :thumbdown:

Try this lady, Tonya Lochtie, she's the local agent for Absolute Black chainrings.

info@paragontech.co.za

Maybe she can tell you where you can order them from...

Try this lady, Tonya Lochtie, she's the local agent for Absolute Black chainrings.

info@paragontech.co.za

Maybe she can tell you where you can order them from...

Thanks!

It seems as though they are the Holy Grail of chainrings, as we all want them, but no one can find them :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Anyone know where I can find a Direct Mount Oval chainring for a BB30 crank?

Seems they are impossible to find  :thumbdown:

Evobikes? I bought all my Oval rings from them

They only have the GXP direct mounts unfortunately

I have a SRAM BB30 crank and I use the GXP direct mount rings. You just take your spider off.

I have a SRAM BB30 crank and I use the GXP direct mount rings. You just take your spider off.

Yes, but you probably have the long spindle version, which can accommodate the GXP ring with the 6mm offset.

My crank is the short spindle and needs a 0mm offset.

See the pic:

http://absoluteblack.cc/images/_katalog/BB30des/bb30-spindle-type.jpg

to those running Q-Rings on your road bikes, how long did it take for your body to adapt to the change ?

From what I have read, it engages your hamstrings a lot more so the muscle would need time to adapt and get stronger...

I have my Q-rings on order and should have it this week, and would only be able get in about another 250-300km before the Argus so thinking that its not a great idea to make any changes this late. Am I just being too cautious or should I go ahead and change it ?

to those running Q-Rings on your road bikes, how long did it take for your body to adapt to the change ?

From what I have read, it engages your hamstrings a lot more so the muscle would need time to adapt and get stronger...

I have my Q-rings on order and should have it this week, and would only be able get in about another 250-300km before the Argus so thinking that its not a great idea to make any changes this late. Am I just being too cautious or should I go ahead and change it ?

The qrings will help, regardless of the time you would spend on them. the tricky part is to figure out which ocp position is best for you, for now go with OCP3.

Archived