Some handy info on the Giant Contact Switch Dropper Post

Skylark

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Porqui managed to actually get his gen 1 cartridge re-pressurized by a company out in the Bellville area! The 150psi they put in was a bit much, but I'm thinking of getting my spare old cartridge re-pressurized to have spare.... and it only cost R60!

Will find out the name of the place

Please do !!

Mine has been solid since day 1 ...... let's see how long she will still live a healthy and active life.

McNaughton's

35 Fairbairn St., Parow

I'd get them to pressurize to 120psi, the last one was 150psi which was too much

McNaughton's

35 Fairbairn St., Parow

I'd get them to pressurize to 120psi, the last one was 150psi which was too much

Thank you!!

Why do much ? Did it shoot out like A spez post ?

My 3rd gen dropper just gave up on me after 6 months of not so heavy use. The release pin on the cartridge seized. Has anyone else had this issue?

The return speed on my 125mm Mk3 seemed slower than it should. A clean and lube did not help. I changed the outer and inner cables as the lever was getting stiff. What a difference - the post raised itself quicker and the lever was light to the touch. Can only assume the old cable was dragging and not releasing the dropper properly leading to the slower return speed.

My 3rd gen dropper just gave up on me after 6 months of not so heavy use. The release pin on the cartridge seized. Has anyone else had this issue?

yes, that release pin is prone to wear(rust in particular) i did the following, and haven't had issues since

- cleaned it

- gave it a light sand

- soaked in q20

- pushed in and out on a hard surface, multiple times

- soaked in q20

- put everything together again, and smiling since

yes, that release pin is prone to wear(rust in particular) i did the following, and haven't had issues since

- cleaned it

- gave it a light sand

- soaked in q20

- soaked in q20

- put everything together again, and smiling since

I imagine this only becomes a problem when you're routing the cable externally and the pin on the cartridge is facing up, prone to water ponding etc. If I had known I would have smothered it in grease before installing it. Unfortunately the pin is now stuck so far in that I can't grab it to get it unstuck, even with the cartridge out. I'm holding thumbs for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I imagine this only becomes a problem when you're routing the cable externally and the pin on the cartridge is facing up, prone to water ponding etc. If I had known I would have smothered it in grease before installing it. Unfortunately the pin is now stuck so far in that I can't grab it to get it unstuck, even with the cartridge out. I'm holding thumbs for a warranty replacement.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

if you can get something in there, it just needs a few jerks and it will come unstuck.

i did the grease thing, before i did the Q20, it didn't help but once i cleaned it up solid, gave it some grease. in my case i've got it route internally, but somehow its still corroded

if you can get something in there, it just needs a few jerks and it will come unstuck.

i did the grease thing, before i did the Q20, it didn't help but once i cleaned it up solid, gave it some grease. in my case i've got it route internally, but somehow its still corroded

2 of mine failing have been internal and the longest living one was external. Always seems to be if left unused for a couple of weeks. I like your method of fixing the issue and will keep hold of that if mine makes it out of the warranty period or the warranty period on the replaced one from the warranty period that was there before that warranty period. 

Porqui managed to actually get his gen 1 cartridge re-pressurized by a company out in the Bellville area! The 150psi they put in was a bit much, but I'm thinking of getting my spare old cartridge re-pressurized to have spare.... and it only cost R60!

Will find out the name of the place

What exactly happens that it loses pressures and what do these guys do to re-pressurize it permanently?

Does they replace any seals/orings?

Thank you!!

Why do much ? Did it shoot out like A spez post ?

Not as bad as a spez, but close! Maybe I should compare it shooting peanuts across the room!

What exactly happens that it loses pressures and what do these guys do to re-pressurize it permanently?

Does they replace any seals/orings?

I think just all the dirt and grime mixed with old grease mess with the seal over time.

We just cleaned it up a little, and they put the cartridge in a pressurized chamber, the pressure differential will force air into the cartridge again. The unit is otherwise sealed, so can't replace rings etc.

The push button actuator on the cartridge before getting filled wouldn't return completely, but the refill sorted that out.

2 of mine failing have been internal and the longest living one was external. Always seems to be if left unused for a couple of weeks. I like your method of fixing the issue and will keep hold of that if mine makes it out of the warranty period or the warranty period on the replaced one from the warranty period that was there before that warranty period. 

How often do you guys wash your bikes  - i mean hose down or pressure wash leading to water getting in the top of the post? I recon this and riding in very wet conditions is probably what causes the problem.

How often do you guys wash your bikes  - i mean hose down or pressure wash leading to water getting in the top of the post? I recon this and riding in very wet conditions is probably what causes the problem.

I don't... especially with the drought issues. It's single 1/2 bucket wash every 3 or 4 rides. In between I use cleaner and lube for the drive chain to make sure that's all clean. According to Olympic they have been inundated with posts since the end of last year.   

Archived