Some handy info on the Giant Contact Switch Dropper Post

Skylark

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently massively disappointed with the reliability of the Giant Droppers and the level of customer service from Giant SA. No2 (the warranty replacement for no1) has failed within 6 month, no cartridges available and again they not making the warranty process easy by putting the onus on the customer for documentation that is between the agents and the bike shop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a Giant Dropper Gen 2(black stanchion) internal cartridge, dead or alive. Want to see if it can be made fit my old Gen 1 that Giant discontinued the cartridges for. Want to compare the 2 side by side before I get Giant to order the part for me and fork out my Randela's

• 2 weeks later...

Currently massively disappointed with the reliability of the Giant Droppers and the level of customer service from Giant SA. No2 (the warranty replacement for no1) has failed within 6 month, no cartridges available and again they not making the warranty process easy by putting the onus on the customer for documentation that is between the agents and the bike shop.

Ya I can second this. My post lasted about a month before it permanently sank, never stayed up. Giant SA are useless! They didn't have stock of posts or cartridges for over a month, had to wait 5 weeks for a replacement cartridge. Just got my replacement after the repaired one didn't last one ride. Holding thumbs this replacement lasts a bit longer!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Recently purchased a second one and now it seems to have a bit of an issue. Its been set up to run internally and worked fine for about 4 times, now it wont stay locked in position. Could it be the cable tension?

Recently purchased a second one and now it seems to have a bit of an issue. Its been set up to run internally and worked fine for about 4 times, now it wont stay locked in position. Could it be the cable tension?

That's what mine did, just sinks when you sit on it? Send it back if it's under warranty. It seems they are not reliable at all

Edit: I got lbs to check it out, cable tension, etc and they had no joy. Ended up with a replacement one now, hopefully it goes better than first one

That's what mine did, just sinks when you sit on it? Send it back if it's under warranty. It seems they are not reliable at all

Edit: I got lbs to check it out, cable tension, etc and they had no joy. Ended up with a replacement one now, hopefully it goes better than first one

Ok checked the dropper after I posted here and ja, my own stupidity. I accidentally over tightened my cable clamp stopping the cable from moving. 

Have had a few issues with mine; able to fix most of them.

Staying locked -> To little cable tension

Not wanting to lock -> To much cable tension or time to replace the hose/cable

Struggling to drop or slow pop-up -> Dry inner shaft. Dismantle and grease the bottom half of the dropper inner once cartage has been removed + clean and grease upper part of shaft once top seal has been screwed off.

Only thing I have not been able to fix is the excessive play...

Have had a few issues with mine; able to fix most of them.

Staying locked -> To little cable tension

Not wanting to lock -> To much cable tension or time to replace the hose/cable

Struggling to drop or slow pop-up -> Dry inner shaft. Dismantle and grease the bottom half of the dropper inner once cartage has been removed + clean and grease upper part of shaft once top seal has been screwed off.

Only thing I have not been able to fix is the excessive play...

mine exactly the same, many a guys having issues, all of which i resolved doing this!

the side to side play on mine not excessive yet, but is there

Finally got my cartridge replaced and thank goes to my LBS for hanging in there and following up... alot. Apparently they have been taking in loads of the Giant droppers recently, all with failed cartridges. 

Dropper works fine now except for since being put back together it's got a ton of side to side play. Not exactly sure I can be bothered to try to get that fixed. Am just going to ride it until it dies again and then buy a Lyne one. My 150mm on my hardtail has been great, it's got a 2yr warranty and the service is great. Makes Giant look like chumps. 

Ok checked the dropper after I posted here and ja, my own stupidity. I accidentally over tightened my cable clamp stopping the cable from moving.

Told you it was cable tension.......

• 2 months later...

Okay AFAIK I have the 2nd gen dropper post , Black stanchion and still has the round head clamp.

Now the thing works well and has no scratches or anything but its getting slow to return/extend and I want to dismantle it and relube what I can just so I can get A satisfying 'pop' when i pull the lever (..kronk) 

Is it possible ? has anyone done it ? Special tools ? What grease/lube did you use? How complicated ?

Assume I'm an above average home mechanic 

Okay AFAIK I have the 2nd gen dropper post , Black stanchion and still has the round head clamp.

Now the thing works well and has no scratches or anything but its getting slow to return/extend and I want to dismantle it and relube what I can just so I can get A satisfying 'pop' when i pull the lever (..kronk)

Is it possible ? has anyone done it ? Special tools ? What grease/lube did you use? How complicated ?

Assume I'm an above average home mechanic

Decommissioned mine a few days. Play got to excessive... Still have it so was was able to take a few photos.

1. Unscrew the top seal. Sometimes little stiff so an old tube for grip with a waterpump plyer works great. Clean out the muc. Regrease the bottom/rear of the shaft while holding your finger full of grease and actuating the dropper up and down. This resolves most problems

323506e0ea7c5701519d252eb3aefab0.jpg

2. If that does not work, you need to remove the dropper. Have a spare derailer cable handy as removal pretty much warrants a cable replacement. Once removed unscrew the bottom. Undo the 2 small alan key screws

44c8c2f9c3c3b5cecd30af87f216a4b8.jpg

Push back the piston arm and grease the exposed inner shaft.

b3cb1a31d42b4221801e0e623c831fd5.jpg

If the above does not help then your cartridge most likely need replacing because of to little pressure.

All else fails. Get a Lyne dropper. Stoked with mine so far!

Porqui managed to actually get his gen 1 cartridge re-pressurized by a company out in the Bellville area! The 150psi they put in was a bit much, but I'm thinking of getting my spare old cartridge re-pressurized to have spare.... and it only cost R60!

Will find out the name of the place

Archived