Cyclist killed on R44

CleatsnCleavage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's it lawyer the driver up and find excuses for him (its easy when its not you and doesn't affect you )

in the mean time the cyclist is dead

who stands up for justice for him and his family

there are no "accidents" only stupid behaviour in cars that no one is ever held responsible for ..

Totally agree with you. This was not a 'genuine' accident or an 'honest' accident! WTF does that mean anyway? You don't eat while you drive, your car is not the frikking Wimpy or your kitchen table. Where in your drivers license test do they specify what items you are allowed to eat and drink while driving? Where in your drivers license test are you required to demonstrate your ability to control a car while eating a cheese burger???? This was negligent to the third degree. This stupid @sshole driver needs to go to jail!

Condolences to the family, RIP fellow Cyclist

Most off These serious accidents happens when Drivers takes Their Eyes off the road and innocent People must then suffer the consequences , Just cant stand driving and still see Drivers Texting ,  Talking over Their phones  , scratching in glove boxes etc , A vehicle cant wonder off the road on its own into the yellow line  , They need to take serious action against these Culprits .   

what is justice to you, and what is it to you if it was a genuine accident?

ok you asked so here goes .... :blink:

did you know that in England the police no longer refer to incidents involving vehicles as "accidents" the correct term is 'collision' or 'incident'

justice is making genuine recompense to the family of a person whos life you took as you cant bring them back or barring that a genuine punishment imposed on you by society

justice is not saying 'oops I wasn't paying attention' paying a small fine and getting on with your life (which is what happens when you drive over a cyclist or pedestrian in sunny south Africa)

and a genuine accident is when ford(or whomever) makes a crappy car and the wheel falls off while you moving and you crash

but when you are in control of a two ton weapon in a public space and you kill someone with it - its your fault

there shouldn't be a lawyer and an oops clause

and as long as there is people will drive without consequences and pedestrians and cyclists will die

and before you ask ....ive been driving big fast cars for thirty years all over the world as part of my profession and have never hit anything 'by accident"

because when I drive that's all I concentrate on I don't muck about in cars :thumbup:

RIP

You need a very strong rear light that can be seen for hundreds of meters,  When a driver spots you well in advance chances are he wont take his eyes off the road as he is coming up to you.  I rarely see cyclists with proper ligthing on their bikes.  Don't buy a R150 light, buy a R500 one.  Your life is at stake.

Very sad story.

I guess one can argue this both ways. I agree with some of the hubbers that there is no such thing as an accident. Any collision, doesn't matter who is involved is due to negligence on someone's part.

My son just passed his drivers licence and one of the aspects that they were very strict on, was observation. If you don't observe properly, then you fail. Period. Never mind fiddling around for some food, cold drink, CELL PHONE!! or what ever.

This guy was negligent and should face the consequences, even if it's like a 1000 hours community service, like marshalling at cycle races.

What is the difference in being drunk and causes someone death and fiddling around for food or a drink or talking on the cell phone and causes someone's death. In all cases it is an accident right? No malice was involved right?

Wrong, that's why its called manslaughter and not murder.

that's it lawyer the driver up and find excuses for him (its easy when its not you and doesn't affect you )

in the mean time the cyclist is dead

who stands up for justice for him and his family

there are no "accidents" only stupid behaviour in cars that no one is ever held responsible for ..

I didn't make excuses and I said that the driver is culpable.

I also said that it can happen to any of us, because we are all prone to lapses.

If you put a cellphone or alcohol into the mix, then my attitude would be harder because its a conscious decision been made by the individual to inhibit their ability to drive.

Why do you say there should be no lawyer? It's a legal event and the driver is to be prosecuted, so of course they will have representation.

I didn't make excuses and I said that the driver is culpable.

I also said that it can happen to any of us, because we are all prone to lapses.

If you put a cellphone or alcohol into the mix, then my attitude would be harder because its a conscious decision been made by the individual to inhibit their ability to drive.

Why do you say there should be no lawyer? It's a legal event and the driver is to be prosecuted, so of course they will have representation.

To reach down for your food is also a conscious act and also inhibits ones ability to drive.

Yes, this driver probably didn't had any intention to kill someone, but it doesn't matter how you look at it, he was negligent and that lead to someone's death.

Yes the degree of negligence differs from that of driving under the influence, that's why the punishment should also differ. But going totally unpunished sends out the wrong message.

If drivers know that there would be serious consequences, they might think twice before reaching down for food or texting or doing stupid things while they must drive. I always get the shivers when I see woman "multi tasking" while driving with dogs on their laps. Just plain silly and irresponsible.

Agreed. There should be consequences.

This should be in proportion to the acts that create the accident or incident as its now refered too.

In other words, if this guy makes a mistake and a cyclist gets killed, then yes it needs action. If you knock a cyclist down, you stop, do your best to help and take responsibility for the incident, then that goes a long way.

BUT if we are going to persecute somebody, maybe those who try get away, hit n run, drink drivers etc should be the ones who feel the full rath.

Either way, the driver will lose sleep and he will also learn from his mistake. The unfortunate thing is he along will learn and we are still left the rest of the knuckle heads that distract themselves while driving.

Be safe out there everyone.

Archived