Drunk driver who killed cyclist in PE gets time behind bars

News bot

The drunk driver who hit and killed Port Elizabeth cyclist Clem Morris in 2012 will spend at least eight months behind bars, an appeal court has ruled, before he may become eligible for another form of correctional supervision, such as house arrest, for the remainder of his four-year sentence in respect of one of the counts on which he was found guilty.

Click here to view the article

...and when does his suspended license start. Pointless if it is carried out while he is in prison. Also does one have to re apply for a drivers license once it has been suspended.

Those that are guilty of such driving offenses should rewrite the exam and redo the practical. Not as punishment but as a reminder since they have clearly forgotten how to drive! 

Prison time in SA can't be fun! And if vehicle drivers out there get to understand they will go to prison if they kill a cyclist, i'm hoping driving attitudes will change!

What ever happened to the driver that cost Burry his life?

Was sentenced as well....5 years I think...????

I didn't actually know about this case. Took a while to conclude.

What BS is that about falling asleep for a split second after drinking the previous afternoon? *** Storie.

Was sentenced as well....5 years I think...

6 years of which 3 suspended for 5 years for culpable homicide and R5000 or 3 months for ignoring a traffic sign. 

Well done to PPA. That is why I am a member although I can get nothing else out of membership.

Then there was the guy who got 10 years for smuggling Cycads. 8months for murdering a human vs selling illegal plants. Makes you wonder

That's what I don't understand, although I suppose the sentence is all about intent and how the judge assessed that in court. This guy did leave flee the scene so why didn't that make the sentence a bit harsher?

The impact of what this drunk driver has done to this family behind the scenes has been absolutely tragic. One wonders what the sentence would have been if it was the Judges child or one of his family was the victim.