2016 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR Prep

with this much 'hike-a-bike', shoes must be  very important decision! maybe get more trekking orientated shoes?

shimano Mt44 or similar

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sun was shining, the wind was still, the grass was short

the hills were monsters, the rocks are large, the valleys were deep, the fences were high and the grasslands were brutal.

its was a great day out, true freedom trail riding.

great pics, hope you left lots of tracks to follow

great pics, hope you left lots of tracks to follow

yes, plenty of tracks - mostly blood, sweat and tears! 

I'm carrying a few spare spokes in my handle bar, but i have a bad habit of breaking them. Tyre - no.

Chain - have a few spare links from shortening the chain when new and a few speed links.

spare gear cable, derailer hanger, cleats, stans,+ all the spares you would take on a multi day event such as Sani2C 

Without a doubt it has developed into and has the potential to be one of the toughest parts of the route, but I would add that one of the most beautiful, isolated and unique parts of the whole trail.

Entering via Grootrivierpoort with the Cockscombe mountains to your left and seeing the sea for the first time in many days as you look toward the Jeffreys Bay coast and then descend via the Osseberg to the river is just sublime. So, yes its daunting, but there are very few people who nowadays get to see what was once considered one of the best and most challenging 4x4 trails in the country, and you haven't even gotten into the kloof yet. The kloof is what a wilderness area should be and for that I will commend Sanparks, the animals roam free and undisturbed with limited trace of human presence, you are merely a curious visitor passing through.

So maybe a day set aside for that part of the trail is justified - because it is so special. Dont rush it, take pics and enjoy the trail. 

That is exactly the emotion I felt. We had some lunch at the turn off and then got back to the job of chasing down tim james. 

it remains my favourite part of the trail (although by all reports it was a bit more rideable in 2008!)

Has anyone ridden the Ntsikeni - Glen Edward section over the last few days? Interested to know the condition of the route. Thanks

Has anyone ridden the Ntsikeni - Glen Edward section over the last few days? Interested to know the condition of the route. Thanks

its an iconic part of the route, 

MONSTER hills

Friendly people

blue skies

windy

miles and miles of tufty grass

loose rocks

steep portages

endless grasslands

lots of gates

tricky navigation

magnificent!

true freedom trail riding..

will be good to see Mr Dalu there in June. :)

One week to go - and I could potentially be waking up in the middle of the night desperately trying to remember parts of the route! That great time when it is too late for any last minute training, but knowing that you are going in under cooked. :eek:  :wacko: 

One of this years proud finishers insight on the race.....

THOUGHTS ALONG THE TRAIL

I have ridden in the shadows of the greats, like Dreyer, Harris, and the iconic Tim James,

I have tumbled into the Umko Valley, only to climb the Hella Hella,

I have lost myself with the ghosts of Vuvu, and conquered Lehana,

I have cursed, sweated, pushed, pulled and pedalled,

I have searched for the tracks of those gone before me,

I have seen the beauty of our land, and even more so, the beauty of the great hearts of the people along the Trail,

I have been tickled by the Whitethorns, and egged on by the baboons of the Osseberg,

I have listened to the great silence.

I was awed by the grandeur of all the Bergs and the vast Karoo,

I smelled Fynbos – for the first time – and it was fine

I have rolled down the Holsloot, and on to Stettyns,

I have earned every kilometre along the way.

All the while watched over by our guardian angels, Meryl and Glenn. 

I have left it all on the Trail, liberated....

I am a Freedom Rider.

Michael Devereux

freak.... it gave me goosebumps as i read it!!!!!

well done Michael D

freak.... it gave me goosebumps as i read it!!!!!

well done Michael D

wow, how did i miss this? with apologies to the photog, pulled this off the FC page quickly. someone should do a full res version.

post-1830-0-38161500-1464164782_thumb.jpg

WOW! Huge goosebumps...

Freedom Challenge time, next week (7 days to go) batch 1 departs. And as I will eagerly be watching friends and other freedom challengers tackle this trail so close to my heart; what an awesome way to be reminded by Michael Devereux's words .... I am a Freedom Rider.

F#$@... going to be hard, this FOMO! Body will be sitting at my desk in Randburg, Johannesburg, but my mind, heart and soul will be on the trail  :) wish I was there.

wow, how did i miss this? with apologies to the photog, pulled this off the FC page quickly. someone should do a full res version.

attachicon.gifFC.jpg

Only those who risk going too far, will know how far they can go! ...... & Michael Devereux's words can only really be understood and comprehended by those that have crossed the lines that is the Freedom Challenge trail. Awe inspiring words! Awe inspiring race!

15 Days to go!!!

My heart on fire, my skin tingling with goose-flesh, and the butterflies are fluttering....

and I always remember the words from a previous Blanket wearer I had the privilege to get to know and probably describes the magnitude and grace of the Freedom Challenge race across South Africa and of which I hope to get to grips with; My understanding is that anyone with the right mindset and ability can finish a race such as RASA, yet it is a race that requires respect for what it dishes out to you. - "You cannot tame the Freedom trail but at best it can tame you."  :)

WOW! Huge goosebumps...

Freedom Challenge time, next week (7 days to go) batch 1 departs. And as I will eagerly be watching friends and other freedom challengers tackle this trail so close to my heart; what an awesome way to be reminded by Michael Devereux's words .... I am a Freedom Rider.

F#$@... going to be hard, this FOMO! Body will be sitting at my desk in Randburg, Johannesburg, but my mind, heart and soul will be on the trail  :) wish I was there.

Oh boy, you have no idea how bad its going to get for you in the next month - if you were there last year, then first year not riding is the worst, the withdrawal symptoms are severe and because the race continues 24/7 you have no escape, night and day you will check and recheck the progress and for updates. You will live vicariously, perhaps even making silly plans to get somewhere nearer, people have been known to volunteer to drive parts in from very very far.

Thankfully this forum provides some form of group support and its available 24/7.

Good luck Sergio. 

I've been following this thread, have spoken to people who are doing the race this year, as well as some who have done it before.  I've read as many blogs from people who have done the Freedom as I can find.  I watched the live tracking last year, and have been pouring over the maps online.  I could very well be the most prepared person to not be doing the race.  ^_^

I really hope to one day be able to join in the fun.

Good luck everyone - enjoy it  :thumbup:

Oh boy, you have no idea how bad its going to get for you in the next month - if you were there last year, then first year not riding is the worst, the withdrawal symptoms are severe and because the race continues 24/7 you have no escape, night and day you will check and recheck the progress and for updates. You will live vicariously, perhaps even making silly plans to get somewhere nearer, people have been known to volunteer to drive parts in from very very far.

Thankfully this forum provides some form of group support and its available 24/7.

Good luck Sergio. 

I nearly forgot, the one oke who rode all the way last year, after years of getting deeply involved every year the race passed his district, he's now directing affairs - talk about properly dealing with your FOMO fears

I've been following this thread, have spoken to people who are doing the race this year, as well as some who have done it before.  I've read as many blogs from people who have done the Freedom as I can find.  I watched the live tracking last year, and have been pouring over the maps online.  I could very well be the most prepared person to not be doing the race.  ^_^

I really hope to one day be able to join in the fun.

Good luck everyone - enjoy it  :thumbup:

For many years I did the same !! Until I could not just sit and follow anymore .

Archived