Medical Aid

Its probably a ripoff, but both hospitals and medical aid screw each other over (allegedly).

But you need it if you cycling

Edited by sunchaser

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to the above, you need to see what suits your personal requirements.

I was with Discovery(had vitality and health) and had little to no complaints. In fact nothing to even write home about. Then my life changed, I got married and had 3 kids and shortly before the twins were born I had a re look at my whole estate. Sat down with my broker for a few hours. I already had a few eggs in the momentum basket. I ended up changing to Momentum health and saved a stack of money. I didn't leave discovery because I was not happy with them, they simply just didn't have the best overall package for me at the time.

I'm with Fedhealth. They have been amazing through child birth, various MRI scans, broken bones, emergency cover and general cover for the wife and our boy.

I don't go to the gym, I don't need a discount on veggies and I'm not inclined to log/follow up with that sort of thing.

They offered the best 'plug n play/set and forget' policy that included several extra procedures (MRI scans etc) as well as decent GP cover, savings and no extra cost for 'high risk' sport and recreational activities.

I'm lazy when it comes to admin and checking where my money goes. Discovery were the most confusing company for a luddite like me. 

Unfortunately Fedhealth have subsequently merged/changed their packages and certain things have changed, but they haven't missed a beat with actual health insurance issues, so I'm happy to keep paying them and forgetting about it.

IMHO these things are all so close re service. If you do your homework you could probably go with any of the above options and feel like you made the right choice.

IMHO these things are all so close re service. If you do your homework you could probably go with any of the above options and feel like you made the right choice.

VERY true.

The administration side (how they pay your claims, how they approve medical procedures), THAT is the bit that you get to "experience" ...

Rands and cents .... the way they package it has very minute advantages for the odd family.

So many options out there.. We are on a Hospital plan (HEALTH squared) that is very comprehensive. There's some out patient cover as well that I didn't even know of .. Had to make Co payment when I did my ACL in but it was refunded afterwards... I have not had issues with authorisation for anything in hospital... And my boys have had their fare share hospital stays. I have also never had to pay an amount after the fact.

It really just depends on your needs and your general health, back when our kids were smaller we knew that we'd be able to pay for Dr visit and medication, ER visits or xrays out of pocket but needed to be sure that if the boys were admitted we'd have cover.

Medical aids should have a special.. I have sons plan.. Cause damn, many unplanned trips to the ER[emoji1787]

So many options out there.. We are on a Hospital plan (HEALTH squared) that is very comprehensive. There's some out patient cover as well that I didn't even know of .. Had to make Co payment when I did my ACL in but it was refunded afterwards... I have not had issues with authorisation for anything in hospital... And my boys have had their fare share hospital stays. I have also never had to pay an amount after the fact.

It really just depends on your needs and your general health, back when our kids were smaller we knew that we'd be able to pay for Dr visit and medication, ER visits or xrays out of pocket but needed to be sure that if the boys were admitted we'd have cover.

Medical aids should have a special.. I have sons plan.. Cause damn, many unplanned trips to the ER[emoji1787]

Around 16 years back i was without a medical aid or hospital plan. Always thought "I'm healthy, I dont need anything"

My brother in law and his wife had just recently brought back their pre-maturely born twins from the hospital. One evening at a stupid hour my phone rings and wakes us up, its my Sister in Law, Brother in Law suspect he is having a heart attack, she cant take him because of the twins, please can I help.

I rush over and take him to the nearest ER. First thing they ask for is his medical aid card.

That evening opened my eyes, thing could have been very different if he did not have medical aid. The next day I phoned my broker and within that week I was on a hospital plan.