West Coast Express

Ramiez

Had a good time on this race, must say the work I had to do on my MTb with American Classic Wide Lightings ment that I had to work VERY hard to keep up, the only up part was the bumpy section, sat on the front of our group and just went for it - with the ever present wheel suckers behind me. Finished in 2:14 and happy with that.

The only negitive was when I go pushed off the road by a guy in front off me and then the idiot behind me had something to say about (f....ng mountain bikers that shouldn't be on the road when he almost ran into me) - after a gave him a few choice replies he realized the he was being an idiot and just kept away from. After that every one started to respect the pace I handled and some tried to keep up especially with the wind from the front. If all goes well then next year will be on a raod bike!!

You did well there Cacey!

I saw you go to the front on the pothole section where everyone else was trying to watch out for the holes.

Roadies will never enjoy having a MTB with them in a bunch I think they are slightly unpredictable (roll differently and wider and I suppose some egos also get damaged from the guys who are struggling on thin wheels) but you did very well to man up and go to the front and do some pulling.

In fact there was a MTB with us at killarney last wednesday. Everytime we entered the sprint straight I was just waiting for him to drop off but he stuck it the whole time. I dont know how he did those speeds  :eek:

He would have averaged 42 for the session and he rode it like a roadie would have!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good time on this race, must say the work I had to do on my MTb with American Classic Wide Lightings ment that I had to work VERY hard to keep up, the only up part was the bumpy section, sat on the front of our group and just went for it - with the ever present wheel suckers behind me. Finished in 2:14 and happy with that.

The only negitive was when I go pushed off the road by a guy in front off me and then the idiot behind me had something to say about (f....ng mountain bikers that shouldn't be on the road when he almost ran into me) - after a gave him a few choice replies he realized the he was being an idiot and just kept away from. After that every one started to respect the pace I handled and some tried to keep up especially with the wind from the front. If all goes well then next year will be on a raod bike!!

I think I witnessed this oke chirping an MTB on the pothole roads. totally freaked me out. well done boet, you strong

The only negative comment I have, and this might uncover my noobness, is that there were no medals. Its a fun ride, give the guys a reminder of completion. I like my growing medal collection. It brings back pleasant memories and shows me how far I have come. Dont take that away from us noobs and try to save 10 or 15 bucks.

I know right, I also wanted a medal. was bit confused when I was handed a license disk sticker :D haha. 

Problem with the mtbs is when the rider stops pedalling or sits up they have so much drag it's like deploying a parachute. They suddenly slow and all hell breaks loose behind while mountain biker is none the wiser.

It's a bit like the cliché scene from comedy's with the guy carrying a long pole and turns around to chat to his mates. When he gets going again he can't understand why everyone's laying flat on the ground

I'm very aware of this problem and that is why I keep my line and try not to loose speed even when sitting up a bit. I think some of the guys behind me wished I sat up a bit more on the pothole section with the wind from the front so that could wheel suck some more - like dragging behind a bus

When possible I use my road bike for road events, purely because it would be a waste not to. I hardly gets used as things are.

There are some exceptions though, one of my favourite being the Knysna Cycle Tour. Due to space constraints I can only take one bike and because I do the MTB and road events I end up with a very muddy MTB in the start chute on Sunday morning between a bunch of cleanly shaven roadies.

Feels pretty cool  :thumbup: Never had any issues though as I fall out of A pretty soon.

I'm very aware of this problem and that is why I keep my line and try not to loose speed even when sitting up a bit. I think some of the guys behind me wished I sat up a bit more on the pothole section with the wind from the front so that could wheel suck some more - like dragging behind a bus

I wheel sucked you a couple of times, thank you.

You did hold a straight line and never 'came back' so you keep going and I will always look out for you in races so that I'm covered :clap:

Managed to find pictures :D12074694_702049129931214_63995707229972512075038_702054396597354_682700817717921

I was actually in this group, till half way in to that hill, then I pop a top gasket!!! hahaha!! We were really close to you guys just before the turn off back to Melkbos, think it was at 11km mark that we saw you going over the bridge. At 10km mark the group burst and they were just halling it, and my legs just say HELLO!!! :blink:

Do you have a Strava link to your ride?Or Garmin or GPS link? I just sent them my file and they loaded that result onto my Racetec profile.

Looks like racetec loaded 2 W groups...U - W and W -Z in the 71 km race therefore adding 10 min to templ2 group.

U - W had only one rider and W - Z 133. Templ2 picked up a guy from group I - K rolled over the finish line together and have a beter time. A friend started in one of the W groups got loaded into Templ2. I have no choice but to get my own garmin

I was with B and I was convinced we were gonna catch A :w00t:

I was with A and was convinced you were going to catch A! 

I'm new to being seeded decently so still figuring out the dynamics of racing. It's a bit difficult riding not part of a team because it seems that there are one or two teams that attack and rest of the team sits on the front to slow it down, and the rest of the guys in the group are freelancers and don't want to stick their neck out and chase them down, so the group crawls along when there's someone up the road. Felt exactly the same way in that Scenic South race when those guys broke away. I remember one section sitting on front until legs had nothing left and speed dropped down to like 30km/h yet nobody would come around and take over

I was actually in this group, till half way in to that hill, then I pop a top gasket!!! hahaha!! We were really close to you guys just before the turn off back to Melkbos, think it was at 11km mark that we saw you going over the bridge. At 10km mark the group burst and they were just halling it, and my legs just say HELLO!!! :blink:

I was in the same group, but didnt even make it halfway up the hill with the group LOL. Was solo until the old mamre road and was suprised the E-F group took so long to get me. The stretch through Atlantis was a lonely ride.