Gatorskin sidewall: defect, unlucky?

GaryvdM

I started on Gartorskin's and got tired slashed/cut sidewalls. (this is very common and the only downside).

I then moved to Vittoria's Ribino 3 Pro's which I found had more grip, did not require tyre levers (folding tyre) and had better sidewalls.

I have now fount the holy grail (was very skeptical) Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite.

Pricing is good for a folding tyre, grip is decent, wear is great and so far no punctures :clap: will go as far as to say I don't really worry about road debris or glass anymore, ridden over plenty and tyres don't have a scratch. Also done some dirt roads and bundu bashing with them. :whistling: :ph34r:

http://www.specialized.com/za/en/ftb/road-tires/all-season-tires/all-condition-armadillo-elite

post-40232-0-81132600-1438721894_thumb.jpg

post-40232-0-70535900-1438721923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spoke101

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone repair punctured road tubes, as I've had absolutely no joy with this practice in the past. If so is there some trick i'm missing as tubes are getting a little pricey lately.

Have to admit that I've gone completely away from gatorskins, may be a perception issue but just seemed to have endless issues with them, sidewall slices and fraying added I don't think they provide any better puncture resistance to alternate brands out there.

You must be doing something wrong. I repair all my punctures and don't have a problem.

Do you use glueless patches? I've heard that they don't work too well.

It can be circumstantial for sure

Enough of my training buddies have opted for alternative brands after complaining about the toughness of Gator'

I use Conti' tubbies for racing

Schwalbe for training

No complaints on either front

Yep, I use Conti tubbies for racing. Buy cheapies for training, just make sure that the tire side wall is quite thick. Some of these cheap tires have thin side walls, that is no good. If there is tire damage (besides small holes which I patch with tube patch from the inside) throw it away.

My record for repairing a tube is 10 punctures, then it got a bit lumpy so I tossed the tube.

Yhea, turned around to talk with the rider I was with and then hit the stone :cursing:.

Thanks for the responses. I don't know what a gator is (and google is not helping out) but I will just go to my LBS and ask them for one.

A gator is like a patch for tyres.

Fits over hole in inside of tyres - prevents tube from pushing through.

Cardboard, pieces of plastic, money notes are used in emergencies.

Thanks guys. I got a gator from Linden. I will glue the out side of the cut to try stop the fraying.

I'm also going to consider a different brand when I next change tires.

There is nothing wrong with the brand, I have ridden Michelin, Vittoria, Conti, Specialized, etc and surprisingly they all seem to get punctures or damage... :ph34r:  :mellow:

Yip, its not the brands thats the problem, but rather the knob heads who throw glass bottles around....

The only way to ride the cradle these days without fear of a puncture is with these blasts from the past...

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1995093436_1/FIXED-GEAR-road-font-b-bike-b-font-tires-font-b-Solid-b-font-font-b.jpg

Yip, its not the brands thats the problem, but rather the knob heads who throw glass bottles around....

The only way to ride the cradle these days without fear of a puncture is with these blasts from the past...

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1995093436_1/FIXED-GEAR-road-font-b-bike-b-font-tires-font-b-Solid-b-font-font-b.jpg

Ahh man I remember those. I also remember when they became soft and was like riding in sand.

Had the same about a month back. Tyre had done nearly 10,000 so I got rid of it. 

post-32242-0-27355400-1438771308_thumb.jpg

All my mates have gone to gatorskins and had punctures and issues almost weekly, I just keep on with my Vitoria tyres, not a single puncture in over a year.

As life would have it, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I find the Vitoria's tread cut very easily. I had 3 punchers on a ride 2 weeks ago and I'm now back on Gatorskins.

As life would have it, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I find the Vitoria's tread cut very easily. I had 3 punchers on a ride 2 weeks ago and I'm now back on Gatorskins.

Exactly....

Conti/Vit/Mich all good tyres that do the same thing pretty well. Yes there are different models within each brand that serve different functions, but that not a "brand" thing.

In this day an age, its not about one brands technology being miles better than the next. The all have access to relatively similar R&D, Technology and raw materials.

I dont believe that there is a silver bullet to this problem, except moering all the knob heads who throw glass around!

You must be doing something wrong. I repair all my punctures and don't have a problem.

Do you use glueless patches? I've heard that they don't work too well.

No not at all the good old fashion way. A good clean, sand the area around the hole, apply contact adhesive to both the tube and patch and allow to dry to the touch, place two together and apply pressure, replace on wheel, head out for a ride and inevitability psssst and WTF!?

No not at all the good old fashion way. A good clean, sand the area around the hole, apply contact adhesive to both the tube and patch and allow to dry to the touch, place two together and apply pressure, replace on wheel, head out for a ride and inevitability psssst and WTF!?

That sounds like a "debris still in tyre" issue