ScottCM

Karkloof 100

Leading up to the race it was a bit touch and go, about 8 weeks ago I had bad runners knee after a 30km training run which lead to me not running at all for 2 weeks. It was a tough call but in the end a good one, rather slightly under trained but in 100% health than trained but starting with a dodge knee. So I spent 2 weeks with legs up, icing knee and resting and if worked.

2 weekends back was the kinetic full moon 120km adventure race which was my final tester to see if I should still race karkloof or not. Came through that race feeling strong with no pain at all so I decided that I was good to go for Karkloof.

Leading up to the race prep was good and the mrs and I were very sharply organised in terms of plans and set up for seconding, for a race like this where you can be seconded it really can make a massive difference having your seconds on point and can really make or break it.

I did not have any pacers and next year(****  not even 2 days later and thoughts of next year are arising) I will have pacers for the return leg, especially for certain sections.

THe weather on Friday at registration was well over 30 deg but thankfully the cold front moved in and it was cool and comfortable by start time at 10pm with rain expected within hours. Being the masochist that I am I actually was hoping for miserable and rainy conditions, especially for the next day, it also helps us gingers not get raped by the sun. And boy did we get those conditions...

The race itself was very well organised, I liked how it was relaxed, there was little compulsory kit but they did recomend extra stuff, some guys carried too little, some carried far to much but that is seen at every race. The organisers were approachable and it had a very welcoming communal feel to it, the organisers did an amazing job.

At 10pm we were off, 2 guys went off very hard early on, I sat in chase pack for the first 35km and then realised I was running above my pace so let them go and settled in to my own race from there. I battled with nausea for the first 60 odd km, but then started eating more cleverly and slowing right down for 5mins, eating and then getting going again which helped, also paused properly at aid stations to eat. 

I did get fairly cold coming into Mbona aid station but recovered from there, reached the turning point at Benvie in good time and took a long recovery break to eat and refuel even more but lost a few positions doing that. At that stage I realised I had totally underestimated the distance and gave up on results and just wanted to finish.

Early on the return leg I watched a friend pull out due to an achilles issue and then on the way into my the 2nd aid station on the way back my right foot felt like it was falling apart and felt like the arch was collapsing. I limped into the aid station, got the medics to tape it up as best possible and I put on the most supportive shoes I had. I managed to grind through the next few legs slowly till I reached the last aid station feeling ok. The last leg was tough though, in the dark the mist was thick and I was battling to spot the trail markers, so got lost a few times and lost a lot of time untill I hit the WESSA trail eventually, the last 8km were a slow painful slog to the end.

All in all it was a great event and I learnt a lot, relied on a lot of AR experience which got me through a few lowpoints. My 2nd was on point and really made the race a lot easier.

Feeling of accomplishment is through the roof on this one, really is something to do if you are a runner.

Hurt factor is big, legs and feet are wrecked but small price to pay.

lessons for future- 100miles is a long way, prepare more...

Well done to the organisers and other competitors, only about helf the field reached the finish line.

But have you run Comrades

Awesome job, massive respect  :thumbup: 

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I am hitting Run the Berg injured this weekend... two weeks of forced rest to try heal a stomach muscle tear, but ran Sunday and it was still there in all it's glory. Did another run yesterday and it's manageable I feel, but that's on normal kind of terrain. Let's see what the Berg throws my way  :blush: 

Some questions for the Trail running guys...

First up, shoes... I bought trail running shoes but they just aren't as quite as comfortable as my road shoes, so I'm kind of leaning towards sticking with my road shoes for Run the Berg - I'm more interested in survival than being quick and slick on technical terrain. Am I wrong on this?

Hydration packs, I have a trail running specific one, but my wife planned to use her normal small cycling one - will that suffice (it seems comfy enough for her when running) and I will carry all our extra gear... or should we be making a last dash effort to get her a small running specific pack?

That FNB 10k through Joburg CBD was awesome by the way - very slick race... ran with my wife and had a lekker jol... see there are Cape Town and Durban versions too, would recommend them thoroughly, even if it us just 10kms, it's the kind of morning you remember above others  :thumbup:

Looks like I am hitting Run the Berg injured this weekend... two weeks of forced rest to try heal a stomach muscle tear, but ran Sunday and it was still there in all it's glory. Did another run yesterday and it's manageable I feel, but that's on normal kind of terrain. Let's see what the Berg throws my way  :blush: 

First up, shoes... I bought trail running shoes but they just aren't as quite as comfortable as my road shoes, so I'm kind of leaning towards sticking with my road shoes for Run the Berg - I'm more interested in survival than being quick and slick on technical terrain. Am I wrong on this?

Hydration packs, I have a trail running specific one, but my wife planned to use her normal small cycling one - will that suffice (it seems comfy enough for her when running) and I will carry all our extra gear... or should we be making a last dash effort to get her a small running specific pack?

I suggest wearing trail running shoes. Running shoes doesn't have as much grip, and doesn't protect your feet on heavy off road trails. Meaning you will be prone to twisted ankles, very sore toes and feet. Trail running shoes are rugged and have much more grip and protect your feet on those mountain trails.

Just got back into it with some short runs. Struggling with some sort of bacterial infection from before CTM and still on antibiotics. 

Andrew, it depends on the terrain as well. And what on earth did you buy that your trail running shoes are less comfy than your road shoes?! 
Small cycling backpack should suffice if there's not too much bounce and/or it's not too long a run. Esp if that's what she's used to for her running. 

Anyone here intrested in a pair of inov8 roadclaw shoes (size 43, UK 9). i bought the wrong size and did about 8-10km in them. Let me know and we can discuss a price

http://www.motustriathlon.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/SCARPA%20TRAIL%20RUNNING%20INOV8%20ROADCLAW%20275%20MEN%20suola.png

Edited by Oxter

Asics Meta run retired with 912.4 kms. By far the most I have managed with any shoes. Fortunately have a backup pair of Meta runs. Don't know how some manage more kays, at 900 these are truly stuffed.

post-58227-0-57989400-1506577892_thumb.jpg

When do you start on Saturday? I'm heading back up from Hilton on Saturday morning and can detour around Harrismith through Bergville instead to drop off a pack. I've got an Osprey Dura 1.5 pack with me that you're welcome to use if the race isn't starting out at sparrows on that morning.

Karkloof 100

Leading up to the race it was a bit touch and go, about 8 weeks ago I had bad runners knee after a 30km training run which lead to me not running at all for 2 weeks. It was a tough call but in the end a good one, rather slightly under trained but in 100% health than trained but starting with a dodge knee. So I spent 2 weeks with legs up, icing knee and resting and if worked.

2 weekends back was the kinetic full moon 120km adventure race which was my final tester to see if I should still race karkloof or not. Came through that race feeling strong with no pain at all so I decided that I was good to go for Karkloof.

Leading up to the race prep was good and the mrs and I were very sharply organised in terms of plans and set up for seconding, for a race like this where you can be seconded it really can make a massive difference having your seconds on point and can really make or break it.

I did not have any pacers and next year(****  not even 2 days later and thoughts of next year are arising) I will have pacers for the return leg, especially for certain sections.

THe weather on Friday at registration was well over 30 deg but thankfully the cold front moved in and it was cool and comfortable by start time at 10pm with rain expected within hours. Being the masochist that I am I actually was hoping for miserable and rainy conditions, especially for the next day, it also helps us gingers not get raped by the sun. And boy did we get those conditions...

The race itself was very well organised, I liked how it was relaxed, there was little compulsory kit but they did recomend extra stuff, some guys carried too little, some carried far to much but that is seen at every race. The organisers were approachable and it had a very welcoming communal feel to it, the organisers did an amazing job.

At 10pm we were off, 2 guys went off very hard early on, I sat in chase pack for the first 35km and then realised I was running above my pace so let them go and settled in to my own race from there. I battled with nausea for the first 60 odd km, but then started eating more cleverly and slowing right down for 5mins, eating and then getting going again which helped, also paused properly at aid stations to eat. 

I did get fairly cold coming into Mbona aid station but recovered from there, reached the turning point at Benvie in good time and took a long recovery break to eat and refuel even more but lost a few positions doing that. At that stage I realised I had totally underestimated the distance and gave up on results and just wanted to finish.

Early on the return leg I watched a friend pull out due to an achilles issue and then on the way into my the 2nd aid station on the way back my right foot felt like it was falling apart and felt like the arch was collapsing. I limped into the aid station, got the medics to tape it up as best possible and I put on the most supportive shoes I had. I managed to grind through the next few legs slowly till I reached the last aid station feeling ok. The last leg was tough though, in the dark the mist was thick and I was battling to spot the trail markers, so got lost a few times and lost a lot of time untill I hit the WESSA trail eventually, the last 8km were a slow painful slog to the end.

All in all it was a great event and I learnt a lot, relied on a lot of AR experience which got me through a few lowpoints. My 2nd was on point and really made the race a lot easier.

Feeling of accomplishment is through the roof on this one, really is something to do if you are a runner.

Hurt factor is big, legs and feet are wrecked but small price to pay.

lessons for future- 100miles is a long way, prepare more...

Well done to the organisers and other competitors, only about helf the field reached the finish line.

Sub 30 for a 100 miler is phenomenal, Dave! Huge respect.

I paced for one of the guys, an incredible Grand Master participant, from Benvie to Mbona and the conditions were hellishly cold and slippery for a dirt roadie like me. The wind and rain had no respect for any of the layers I had on. The section from Bushwillow back must have been pretty intense in those conditions, especially for you running solo. It was an eye opener for me for sure but it may have just planted a seed for next year.

I paced for one of the guys, an incredible Grand Master participant, from Benvie to Mbona and the conditions were hellishly cold and slippery for a dirt roadie like me. The wind and rain had no respect for any of the layers I had on. The section from Bushwillow back must have been pretty intense in those conditions, especially for you running solo. It was an eye opener for me for sure but it may have just planted a seed for next year.

I have Huge respect to everyone who did it. My mate completed his first and was last over the line at 33 hours and some change. Still he has done something that very few people can even imagine doing. Took him 5 years to get there but he did it. 

Thanks hey,

The conditions were not that bad if you kept moving, as soon as you were walking slowly it became an issue. I ran in shorts the whole way and ankle socks. first night had shirt and light rain jacket, during the day had a baselayer top and same light rain jacket, then 2nd night had a good baselayer and a heavier rain jacket on. It did get cold when stopped but otherwise was fine.

Now that the dust is fully settled and my feet can fit back into shoes I have had some time to look and see what to do better for next time(didn't take long to start dreaming of next 100 miler)

To be honest it should have been quicker though, I lost over 3 hours in aid stations faffing.

I should have put in more training even though my knee was not 100%(longest run in the 6 weeks leading up to event was 15km)

Ran an extra 4km when missed the turn at Westfalia Farm, lost more time faffing in the mist between Westfalia and WESSA- think I was half asleep at that stage.

So there is meat on the bone there for next time.

But for next year/ next 100 miler:

Better Nutrition and must eat more

gps watch with route on it for incase

Better shoes- long story on that

Same 2nd to manage me

Pacers- a few good strong pacers

Scott- Your mate did well to finnish hey, he had to dig deep a few times, huge respect for getting to that finish line, from what I heard his nutrition also let him down a bit?

Asics Meta run retired with 912.4 kms. By far the most I have managed with any shoes. Fortunately have a backup pair of Meta runs. Don't know how some manage more kays, at 900 these are truly stuffed.

Im on 915km's with my Nike Pegasus 33's. Stretched them a bit because running shoes aren't cheap now.....