ScottCM

Well Done Ferret on your awesome Skukuza Time. Sh@t Thats damn fast.

How'd you go? 

Old Eds race was great, most of the feedback has been really good. Ended up marshalling a crazy busy intersection (JMPD got lost) where I had a couple hundred highly irate motorists hooting endlessly at me and not showing much concern for my Ellis park induced hangover. 

Some of the distances at Wanderers are already sold out, if you want to do these Vitality run series events, then I would seriously suggest entering today. For all of them if you can, they are all going to sell out... The days of on the morning race entries seem to be at an end. It's actually a good thing for race organisers in a way as they can prepare accordingly and hopefully that knowledge filters down into more enjoyable events for all of us. 

Looking forward to Wanderers - some training to do, but feeling much better about things after a nice easy 10km on Sat. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed Old Ed's as always, weather was perfect and a good turn out...... lots of Discovery Vitality orange (me included).

Ran my 2nd best 21km even with all the hills, felt it more on the down hills this year... all goes well for the training for CPT marathon :)

My race was ok at first. Started off pretty good. Felt strong and fresh, and was well on my way for a sub 1:30. But then came km8 and that rolling hills. As soon as I hit that first one I felt the niggle in my calve again. So I slowed down and just kept an easy pace. Dont want to push myself and hurt my calve even more, and loose out on valuable training. I finished in 1:33, not the time I hoped for, but atleast my calve is feeling 100% better today. That's life. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. Just happy I can stil run and enjoy the race. The beers was cold and tasted like honey...

5h1t I am really battling at the moment. HR is still way up. I am just pushing through it to try keep the legs fit and hope that when things start settling down, the body will come back to normal. Certainly dont want to push anything, so I am just sticking to 3 runs a week. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to just take it easy till Feb/March next year and then focus on some serious training.

5h1t I am really battling at the moment. HR is still way up. I am just pushing through it to try keep the legs fit and hope that when things start settling down, the body will come back to normal. Certainly dont want to push anything, so I am just sticking to 3 runs a week. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to just take it easy till Feb/March next year and then focus on some serious training.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling. I've been sick now for almost 2 months.  I have basically cancelled any "big" races I had planned. The only race more than 32kmm now planned for the year will be Tough One. For the rest I will stick to shorter distances and can hopefully get a bit of speed into my legs. But every run feels like a suffer fest - I'm not even trying to do work quality into my runs at the moment..

Has anyone used a Kway Franklin rain jacket, the breathable DWR one that's R1400 from Cape Union Mart, if anyone has I'd be interested to know how waterproof it is and how breathable?

Has anyone used breathable gore-tex type rain jackets and have recommendations/advice?

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm sure you will find a lot of it is the stress  of your move as well... sometimes listening to your body is not a bad thing either. It's clear looking at the trainwreck of injuries and illness on this thread that Comrades training and race day takes it's toll on us in more ways than we maybe realize. Rest I have found is always the best medicine, your fitness isn't going to disappear overnight Stretchy  :thumbup:

I'm sure you will find a lot of it is the stress  of your move as well... sometimes listening to your body is not a bad thing either. It's clear looking at the trainwreck of injuries and illness on this thread that Comrades training and race day takes it's toll on us in more ways than we maybe realize. Rest I have found is always the best medicine, your fitness isn't going to disappear overnight Stretchy  :thumbup:

oh..its absolutely that..that is why I am not too worried about. i just know to take it easy and listen to my body as you say. Still got some tight hammies from after comrades which I need to go get rubbed out

5h1t I am really battling at the moment. HR is still way up. I am just pushing through it to try keep the legs fit and hope that when things start settling down, the body will come back to normal. Certainly dont want to push anything, so I am just sticking to 3 runs a week. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to just take it easy till Feb/March next year and then focus on some serious training in SERIOUS WEATHER.

Fixed, welcome to the Northern hemisphere ????

So I can report back:

I rode a bike... and I liked it!  :ph34r:

Broke nothing - and that includes any speed records! But my enjoyment of the ride is most likely upped by the fact that I stuck to my "no racing" strategy. Nevertheless rode reasonably hard initially. Then caught up with a trail running friend and we rode together from there, lekker relaxed vibe - except for open road climbs, there she wanted to claw back what she lacked in tech abilities.

Fun day out. I might ride a bike again.

My butt did not like it. :rolleyes:  Legs was more than fine!

So I can report back:

I rode a bike... and I liked it!  :ph34r:

Broke nothing - and that includes any speed records! But my enjoyment of the ride is most likely upped by the fact that I stuck to my "no racing" strategy. Nevertheless rode reasonably hard initially. Then caught up with a trail running friend and we rode together from there, lekker relaxed vibe - except for open road climbs, there she wanted to claw back what she lacked in tech abilities.

Fun day out. I might ride a bike again.

My butt did not like it. :rolleyes:  Legs was more than fine!

And I just wanted to ask if you guys on here actually still ride between all your running!

I legs are finding it hard to condition to the two of them, I try and do 250km (riding) and 30+km (running) a week (all outside) and it is still tough. Wonder if it will ever get better...

(not even doing intervals or anything yet, don't think my muscles can handle that)

Yep, still run, ride and swim plenty... although the swimming is a bit on the back burner until October when will start regaining fitness in prep for 2018 triathlons

Edited by shaper

And I just wanted to ask if you guys on here actually still ride between all your running!

I legs are finding it hard to condition to the two of them, I try and do 250km (riding) and 30+km (running) a week (all outside) and it is still tough. Wonder if it will ever get better...

(not even doing intervals or anything yet, don't think my muscles can handle that)

Your body will get used to it, I run about 30 - 50 km, cycle 200km and swim about 4-5 km a week.

Also have noted this trend. I would like to do Comrades for my 40th birthday, but I am seriously reconsidering this. Not being able to train consistently will get me.