ScottCM

I read some of the comments on Facebook, the runners are seriously pissed off. No wonder Deloitte got involved. According to the organizers only runners that finished after 4hours got affected. Probably the vast majority then.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the Deloiite 21km and the heat was brutal.

One of the many reasons for the marathon runners running out of water was that by the time they came past the half marathon start point, the half marathon runners had used up 80% of the water sachets, which left very little for the middle and back markers of the marathon..

I saw some half marathon runners taking handfuls of sachets to drink as well as pour over themselves.

Great event nevertheless.

Honestly athletes at water stations p*** me off endlessly. Last triathlon I did there were okes instead of grabbing a sponge and squeezing water out onto themselves and then running, no they stuff 5 sponges into their pants and run to the next water point. Or they run 5 meters past the bin and drop a dreadful sachet or down 5 cups of coke but instead of refilling the same cup a few times no- their time is more important so it is 5 different cups.

Okes are just inconsiderate w******* same goes for a large percent of cyclists and the general population to be honest. For me now running pack goes on for any run over 20km and that is it, even at last trail marathon didn't stop at a water table once.

I really think they should only have tanks with multiple taps at water stations and you either carry your own cup or drink from the taps like a kid on a playground.

I really think they should only have tanks with multiple taps at water stations and you either carry your own cup or drink from the taps like a kid on a playground.

Imagine a bus of 30/40 runners standing queue to fill their cup. Not viable at all. Sachets works 100%. On a hot day I also take 2 or 3 from every water point. Clubs should just be less stingy and get enough water.

Imagine a bus of 30/40 runners standing queue to fill their cup. Not viable at all. Sachets works 100%. On a hot day I also take 2 or 3 from every water point. Clubs should just be less stingy and get enough water.

1 x 20 000 litre jojo tank

1 DIY set up with multiple taps similar to pic below, 4 arms with 5 taps each, 20 at a time can get water

silver-metal-outside-water-taps-multiple

4.5 hours of light time doesn't seem enough does it? You running through the night, or just into it?

Probably 2 - 2.5 hours to make up for training during the fast, leading up to Comrades if I am able to do it. Either just after sunset or 2am.

Probably 2 - 2.5 hours to make up for training during the fast, leading up to Comrades if I am able to do it. Either just after sunset or 2am.

Ahhh I see. Damn man that takes some legit dedication. Well done sir!

200 lumens should be fine, the price is the real winner though.

1 x 20 000 litre jojo tank

1 DIY set up with multiple taps similar to pic below, 4 arms with 5 taps each, 20 at a time can get water

silver-metal-outside-water-taps-multiple

How much money do you think these clubs have?..3 or 4 of those on course and that's their budget blown.

Sachets work... They are not expensive... They are returnable... Organisers just need to buy more

Ahhh I see. Damn man that takes some legit dedication. Well done sir!

200 lumens should be fine, the price is the real winner though.

Thanks

I like the rechargeable feature too. I appreciate your input.

Tjommies, where do you run? I run at night and when I run on road, there's no need for light with street and other lights. Only time I vaguely contemplated a light on road was when we had an area blacked out due to a substation failing for a couple of days.

Yes, it gets dodgy on trails and mountain gravel road, so there I'll take a light along. 

Not familiar with that specific light, but the specs seem to tick the boxes. 

How much money do you think these clubs have?..3 or 4 of those on course and that's their budget blown.

Sachets work... They are not expensive... They are returnable... Organisers just need to buy more

and pick them up after everyone just chucks them everywhere because that is a part of them 'Working well' and a bigger reason not to have them. 

https://www.facebook.com/hanno.langenhoven/posts/10155542780481524

Surely if regions chip in together and each club buys 1 or 2 water tank stations and then they share between events in the long term it will become viable? Or better Yet ASA use some of the licence fees...

Tjommies, where do you run? I run at night and when I run on road, there's no need for light with street and other lights. Only time I vaguely contemplated a light on road was when we had an area blacked out due to a substation failing for a couple of days.

Yes, it gets dodgy on trails and mountain gravel road, so there I'll take a light along. 

Not familiar with that specific light, but the specs seem to tick the boxes. 

Road running. I think there will be enough light usually but with loadshedding at anytime, it is a safer option to just get a light for the intended purpose.

Thanks

Hi guys

For those of you who run at night, is this a decent unit to light up my path?

https://www.capestorm.co.za/vision-200c-headlamp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMnw49eN4QIVApPtCh2niQvnEAQYAyABEgJdV_D_BwE

If you run in the suburbs you dont need a light. I also dont like the idea of a headlight, I think its much safer running under the radar that early in the morning. A light might just attract unsavory characters.

Keep us updated on the 2am runs. I love early morning runs, but the earliest for me was half past three. Great for running in the middle of the road qnd and avoiding the camber????

If you run in the suburbs you dont need a light. I also dont like the idea of a headlight, I think its much safer running under the radar that early in the morning. A light might just attract unsavory characters.

Keep us updated on the 2am runs. I love early morning runs, but the earliest for me was half past three. Great for running in the middle of the road qnd and avoiding the camber

I agree 100%

Eskom, however, won't always play along...so I will need the light.

Thanks