ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eish... sorry Hacc

Can't remember the name of the Anti-biotics they warn you against exercising on - but I will definitely never take them again. They really stuffed me up. It was more joint, ligament aligned though if I recall.

Cramps could well be linked to your illness? Or after effects at least - if you're not getting oxygen efficiently to your muscles the odds of cramp greatly increase I would guess. 

But I'm no doc  :P 

Good luck, hope you come right. I'm also missing OMTOM now as I'm in no position to run ODD ultra this weekend. Going to do the sensible thing and stick with 21's for a while and build up a bit more and then hopefully qualify for Comrades etc

Thanks Andrew!

I luckily got a 21km OMTOM substitution entry... I guess it is better than not running at all after paying so much money for accommodation and flight tickets. 

I am with you on the shorter distances. I have decided to concentrate on the shorter distances and build up again towards OMTOM and Comrades next year.

PS. Happy belated birthday! 

Hacc,

The muscle cramps/pain is most likely due to connective tissue damage within the calves.

Tavanic (Levoflaxin) is part of the class of problematic antibiotics wrt tendons.

There are no real return to sport guidelines following quinolones.

Most tendon degredation and/or ruptures occur within the first 7 days. Feom there the risk onry start decreasing after about a month, with risk persisting to 6months, and sometimes a bit longer.

Most patients present with symptoms (tendon pain) before failure, so you could judge your return to running based on pain, but there are those with no pain before rupture.

I’d suggest at least another 10days, then take it from there. Maybe start with some cycling. Don’t do speed/hills for a couple of months.

Speak to your Doc.

Thank you Pulse for the info. I will give my doctor a call. It sounds like more rest for me  :wacko:

If anyone is looking for an OMTOM 56km entry send me a PM.

Thank you Pulse for the info. I will give my doctor a call. It sounds like more rest for me  :wacko:

If anyone is looking for an OMTOM 56km entry send me a PM.

Not interested in downgrading? I'm there for work anyway, so that's what I'm going to try do...

My biopsy tests came back positive for the H.Pylori bacteria once again and the Gastroenterologist is convinced it is causing my nausea. So, antibiotics here we go again. I started on the 4th of March with 500mg of Amoxil and 500mg of Tavanic for 5 days (twice a day). It made me feel really crap.

This meant I missed my qualifier (Kosmos) for OMTOM as I only finished my antibiotics on the day of the race. Both the pharmacist and the doctor said I should not exercise while I am drinking these antibiotics.

I waited for 3 days and went for a run last night. I felt not too bad for the first couple of kms but after 4 kms I was cramping so badly in both my calf muscles. I could barely walk the last km back to my car. This morning when I woke up I can still feel the pain in both my calf muscles.  

Not sure if it is or me or TheHub search not working... Is this the antibiotics? How long should I rest after using antibiotics? Has anyone experienced bad cramping after antibiotics?

I've read that coconut oil contains Lauric acid which some say is effective against the H. Pylori bacteria. And olive oil may help as well.

Edited by Jacquers

Ive heard horror stories about certain antibiotics and Achilles tendons. Rather safe than sorry.

Not interested in downgrading? I'm there for work anyway, so that's what I'm going to try do...

Can I downgrade? I got a 21km entry from another runner

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's hectic!

I managed to knock my leg on a rock, 2 days later I couldn't walk. Blood clot on the bone went very very septic.

Landed up on 4000mg of Augmentin (2000mg twice a day) for 10 days to shake the infection.

I also haven't felt great since. I'm giving the West Coast marathon a dab on the 23rd. Hopefully my Achilles don't explode.....

It's been 4 weeks plus change since I finished the course. Hoping it goes ok

Edited by Jewbacca

I picked up small bug on Tuesday. Worked from home yesterday no run and a bit of extra sleep.

This morning I ran with our B group so a fairly slow pace . Halfway into the run my heart rate spike and stayed high no matter how slow I ran ( although I felt great)

After the run Garmin recons no take a break

Will go for a 5km tomorrow and make a call for Om die dam

I will be really sad to miss the race as I have been looking forward to it. But I also don't want to die from a heart attach at 40da4556d8d784cdf9d3da1a11da50f8f5.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I picked up small bug on Tuesday. Worked from home yesterday no run and a bit of extra sleep.

This morning I ran with our B group so a fairly slow pace . Halfway into the run my heart rate spike and stayed high no matter how slow I ran ( although I felt great)

I will be really sad to miss the race as I have been looking forward to it. But I also don't want to die from a heart attach at 40da4556d8d784cdf9d3da1a11da50f8f5.jpg

Never experienced that before, but I can imagine that rest is on the cards for you. 

That's hectic!

I managed to knock my leg on a rock, 2 days later I couldn't walk. Blood clot on the bone went very very septic.

Landed up on 4000mg of Augmentin (2000mg twice a day) for 10 days to shake the infection.

I also haven't felt great since. I'm giving the West Coast marathon a dab on the 23rd. Hopefully my Achilles don't explode.....

It's been 4 weeks plus change since I finished the course. Hoping it goes ok

Is this why you're calling people derogatory terms? Salty from not getting as much exercise lately? First sucker of the day to fall for Godwin's Law.

You know the saying floating around the hub about being lekker? Yea...

I hope you've recovered well, have many safe kilometers of running and riding and good luck with next week's race!

Don't run if you're sick - heart rate is usually a very good indicator that your system is under attack from something. If it's high, exercise extreme caution...

For those tendon issues,

Vit A and E have shown sognificant effects on tendon matrix synthesis, strengthening the tendon and decreasing healing times

Vit E has also shown promise in tendons effected by anti-biotics.

Vit C has a significant indirect effect on tendon healing and overall tendon health.

I would look at supplementing with at least vit A and E

Jaws, what I've experienced is that while riding/running shortly after antibiotics my HR does not drop when recovering at all. It takes a good... usually about 2-3 weeks and then one day just suddenly it drops again. Keep in mind, it's not just antibiotics to blame - you've been ill/injured as well, causing you to have to use them.

Also, check your workout HR values. It has happened that there's a malfunction and the HR "sticks". Then it will be a very flat line staying on one HR value throughout while other values vary.

Best of luck!