ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in for Irene

Weather is looking good for the day.

On the Coach Perry talk this week he advised against running for a better Comrades seeding now but I'm so tempted to give a C seeding a go.

Plus it's my first race as a forty year old :-)

Edited by Jaws677

Doing the Allan Rob 32km on Sunday... building back up towards hopefully qualifying at Wally
Lower back getting better, but the running is clearly not it's friend. Got to keep the balance right somehow.

Good luck to the guys doing Irene, weather looks great and those two free ultra km's really do make it attractive for a good seeding run.

I'm in for Irene

Weather is looking good for the day.

On the Coach Perry talk this week he advised against running for a better Comrades seeding now but I'm so tempted to give a C seeding a go.

Plus it's my first race as a forty year old :-)

Its a good run to go for a seeding and if you don't taper for it then it isn't going to harm your Comrades. Did it two years ago for the A seeding and it worked out for us in June. Got a bus going for A again on Sunday with three people looking for their A.

You can go for it to 21k and then assess where you are and how you are feeling. It's a quick route for the highveld.

Just out of interest sake, do they still have a mat at the 42km mark at Irene or only at the finish?

Just out of interest sake, do they still have a mat at the 42km mark at Irene or only at the finish?

For last years results it only shows a split time for 19.8km and the finish. I've heard from a few people that you could use your marathon time from Irene for a comrades qualifier , don't think its the case anymore.

Okay, let me ask the question that I hate seeing. I need some advise on shoes.

I'm looking for light anti-pronation or neutral shoes with a very shallow heel counter/cup.

I used to run in Asics (GT/Kayano/etc), but after they revamped their lineup a couple of years ago, the depth at the heel is such that it impacts on the Achilles tendon, and I can no longer run with them.  My zero-drop shoes are perfect, and I have no issues with it.  I am however looking for something I can do higher mileage in.  I'm not too worried about the amount of drop, but would prefer to stay below 10 or 12mm.

I have no brand loyalty, but don't like Nikes. Any suggestions? 

asics tartherzeal 6

They are very light speed work shoes?  not for high mileage?

I have the predecessor, the Asics Hyper Tri 3 which i use for track and interval/speed work.  

Edited by shaper

I'm looking for light anti-pronation or neutral shoes with a very shallow heel counter/cup.

I used to run in Asics (GT/Kayano/etc), but after they revamped their lineup a couple of years ago, the depth at the heel is such that it impacts on the Achilles tendon, and I can no longer run with them.  My zero-drop shoes are perfect, and I have no issues with it.  I am however looking for something I can do higher mileage in.  I'm not too worried about the amount of drop, but would prefer to stay below 10 or 12mm.

why can't you (or don't want to) do high millage in the zero drop?

Strange you mention that. I am battling with Achilles at the moement and i run in Asics Gel DS Trainers.

Edited by Prince

Some insight please.  In order to increase your speed, what would you say will make the biggest change (apart from all of the above)

1. More running or

2. regular interval, tempo running or

3. strength training or

4. stretching

Reason I am asking is, although it sounds stupid, it really is difficult for me at this stage to squeeze in that extra 30-45mins of training.  I've got about an hour a day to try and be a better runner, or accepts it is what it is at the moment.