ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hardest 100km in the world.

Closed tab when reading that. Skyrun, trail de Bourbon, Antarctic 100km all harder than UTCT.

Same goes for any other person claiming toughest race- a lot is subjective, a lot are more to do with conditions than route. It is long, it is tough, it is an achievement. But it is likely only the hardest 100km route he has done...

Jeez.... So what if he says it is the hardest. In fact he said it was the hardest thing HE had ever done. Why not rather sit back and enjoy seeing cape Town being advertised to the massive subscriber base that he has.

In your contradictory statement you have said exactly that.. It's subjective...

Need some feedback on Rietvlei trails

I want to go trailrunning around Pretoria, specifically areas I never been to

I see Rietvlei dam just outside Pretoria have nice trails. How safe are these trails to run solo early morning?

Thanks.

R.

Jeez.... So what if he says it is the hardest. In fact he said it was the hardest thing HE had ever done. Why not rather sit back and enjoy seeing cape Town being advertised to the massive subscriber base that he has.

In your contradictory statement you have said exactly that.. It's subjective...

Thanks.

Also at 18:50 he says it is "one of the hardest".

Edited by Jackes

Thanks.

Also at 18:50 he says it is "one of the hardest".

And..... In his subjective opinion it probably is one of the hardest In fact.. He's probably just repeating what he's been told by the organisers because he was invited there. Probably doesn't even know about the skyrun... You will also probably find that the majority of trail runners have never heard of it either.... Just like people outside of South Africa have never heard about comrades or two oceans.

And..... In his subjective opinion it probably is one of the hardest In fact.. He's probably just repeating what he's been told by the organisers because he was invited there. Probably doesn't even know about the skyrun... You will also probably find that the majority of trail runners have never heard of it either.... Just like people outside of South Africa have never heard about comrades or two oceans.

hahaha I always like how invested people get in events.

Dave is notoriously blunt regarding these events and the marketing. He can be. He does some pretty cool things that would make mere mortals shudder.

I am on both sides of the fence. I am often annoyed by the hype around an event claiming it's 'toughness', but I also think it's rad that our Southern Peninsula playground is host to a world tour event with top class international peoples. 

Hype is hype, na na na nana..... 

Ya I really hate it, I guess for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way. I have actually challenged a few race organisers to their face about their marketing and have never really got a reply that can really defend the claim.

I just see it as so narrow minded. The click bait title is just to lure you in to see what 'tough' is. While he was enjoying what can likely be described as a really enjoyable ultra route- guys out there were doing really hard things like Mike Horn up North. It is sad for Cape Town and UTCT that the title is not: " one of the most beautiful 100km routes I have run", or "one of the most enjoyable routes I have run" Both would also be awesome descriptions for their event and sell entries to internationals.

To be honest we often think what we are doing and have done in life is tough or hard. Go read South about how Shackleton's gents really got the job done and when you are done you will realise it is all relative. (and as was the case with me, realise you are probably soft as ****)

I do enjoy these..... Fox News Evans creating some sensational reading.

Look, it's no secret that they have had a few whoopsies in the last few years, but no. The half and the full are probably two of the most subscribed events on the SA Calendar.

There will be backers and there will be buyouts if things go south.

It may be forced to change, but I can't see it joining the Dodo, the Kwagga and honest politicians on the 'extinction' list.....

Jaaaa... I'd like to think so as well. But if you look at how popular and well subscribed something like the Cape Mile was, how did that not attract a new sponsor. Not even wanting to mention XTerra. And both of those failed to get new sponsors and folded, yet have much less logistics than Oceans. 

After the recent events around CSA, I think more sporting organizations will come under scrutiny and possible activism by the sporting community and sponsors.

All the time in the world to go running now, and what do you know: adductor major strain AND peroneal Tendonitis.

post-10549-0-30286500-1576592909_thumb.png

Oh bugger man, good luck with that! I have a friend who is an awesome runner and she's got peroneal problems every now and then. Be patient and heal up well!

I see the TOM trail runs might not take place in 2020..... 

Maybe the castle is falling. 

I was hoping to do the 24km trail/Ultra double this year, but that might not be possible.

Hoping the 'stakeholders' in question can come to the party and get the green light. 

Oh bugger man, good luck with that! I have a friend who is an awesome runner and she's got peroneal problems every now and then. Be patient and heal up well!

Fixed the peroneal problem unexpectedly yesterday afternoon. I was repacking the garage and dropped my son's guitar amp off a shelf onto the foot. Don't feel the peroneal tendonitis at all anymore. However...