ScottCM

1 hour ago, ScottCM said:

How is everyone's training going?

image.png.389346ee01ecef1e3495cc64ded1b2f3.png

80days seeems bloody soon now!

marathon done last weekend, so qualified.

2oceans coming up on the radar so time to rejig training plans. more miles needed (i think, have been cautious). Been clocking about 40-55km/week and can definitely do more.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ScottCM said:

Ya, all good, got a qualifier in the bag on Sunday. Not 100% happy so might have a snipe at BNAC or wally Hayward in the next few weeks. 

Tonsilitis and a badly sprained toe the week before my qualifier were not ideal, but ran again this morning and felt tired but good, body handled the marathon ok considering it all. The next 8 weeks are a big mileage block, going to be interesting to see how it goes...

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

80days seeems bloody soon now!

marathon done last weekend, so qualified.

2oceans coming up on the radar so time to rejig training plans. more miles needed (i think, have been cautious). Been clocking about 40-55km/week and can definitely do more.

How did the marathon go? Start batch?

2 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Was going well until last Thursday, twisted my ankle on hill repeats. Horrible pain. Missed the weekend long runs. Might have to reconsider Two Oceans but I think there’s still time for the comrades.  

2 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Was going well until last Thursday, twisted my ankle on hill repeats. Horrible pain. Missed the weekend long runs. Might have to reconsider Two Oceans but I think there’s still time for the comrades.  I am riding pain free though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 7:05 AM, tjommies3 said:

My marathon didn't go well yesterday. I am now convinced that I'm not ready to try my luck at Comrades. It's not easy doing a flyer in the first half and then crawling the rest of the way. I was so relaxed, so full of energy, so motivated. I even had a warmup session with Gerda Steyn, I guess that a number of things contributed to my body saying enough is enough and with that, I'm waiting for the substitution window to open. I'm gonna continue trying to strengthen my body and stick to half marathons for now. Amazingly, all the pain I felt yesterday had nothing to with my ITB injury. Anyway, that's my story.

UPDATE

I'm still in it. Not for silver/12 hour cut-off but I am still in it.

On Saturday I ran 34km nonstop between 13:40 and 16:50. It was hot, windy from time to time, I was tired from a hectic work week, and obviously fasting. It went well, and it was my final test before the substitution window closed. Pace was 5'36" and most importantly, no pain. Yes, the distance is nothing to write home about but I feel as if big things are about to happen for me. I've dropped over 5kg since the start of the Fast and feeling good. Strength work is coming along nicely, and I feel like I am in a good space. Long may it continue. Have a great short week everyone.

3 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

UPDATE

On Saturday I ran 34km nonstop between 13:40 and 16:50. It was hot, windy from time to time, I was tired from a hectic work week, and obviously fasting. It went well, and it was my final test before the substitution window closed. Pace was 5'36" and most importantly, no pain. Yes, the distance is nothing to write home about but I feel as if big things are about to happen for me. I've dropped over 5kg since the start of the Fast and feeling good. Strength work is coming along nicely, and I feel like I am in a good space. Long may it continue. Have a great short week everyone.

Bliksem training for something big during fasting, must be quite a schlepp.

Not a medical professional but am pretty sure running a few hours in heat without water is really not that good for you.

but hey, if your religion says it's more important than your health, then who am I to question it.

interesting vibes off the 2oceans website.

they have two versions of the ultra map and route profile.

this one is on the individual dashboard section and is labelled 2023

RouteMapUltra.jpg

this one is on the race day info and is labelled 2024

2024-Ultra-Marathon-OuKaapse-Weg-Route-Map-Updated-NEW1-724x1024.png

I'm pretty sure we are running the 2023 route. the road closures would suggest that too. But it's not like they are not big organisation with fulltime employees to check up on this sort of thing.....

30 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Bliksem training for something big during fasting, must be quite a schlepp.

Not a medical professional but am pretty sure running a few hours in heat without water is really not that good for you.

but hey, if your religion says it's more important than your health, then who am I to question it.

Many will agree with you regarding the possible damage but fasting has been proven to benefit us in health, physically, mentally, spiritually and many other ways. Weight loss happens naturally, and is enhanced when training is added. If nobody believes me, I am proof thereof. I have no after effects from the 34km run, and I feel so good that I will try it again tomorrow but in cooler conditions starting around 05:30.

It isn't more important than your health because if you are sick, you are allowed to miss the necessary amount of days, and then make it up afterwards. If you have a chronic ailment that would require regular medication, you are exempt from fasting but you will make up for it in another way, mainly in the form of charity.

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

interesting vibes off the 2oceans website.

they have two versions of the ultra map and route profile.

this one is on the individual dashboard section and is labelled 2023

RouteMapUltra.jpg

this one is on the race day info and is labelled 2024

2024-Ultra-Marathon-OuKaapse-Weg-Route-Map-Updated-NEW1-724x1024.png

I'm pretty sure we are running the 2023 route. the road closures would suggest that too. But it's not like they are not big organisation with fulltime employees to check up on this sort of thing.....

The one says contingency, I'm guessing in case Chapmans Peak is closed or protests in Hout Bay,

3 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

UPDATE

Glad to hear you are running pain free again and still in it. That is all that matters...

I have hit a major stumbling block my side, what was a fifty shades of blue pinky toe the week before my qualifier, is now 3 weeks later fifty shades of blue and yellow foot still 3 weeks later. I have pretty much stopped running the last 2 weeks, will see how it feels moving forward, Comrades might just be a suffer fest this year.

2 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Glad to hear you are running pain free again and still in it. That is all that matters...

I have hit a major stumbling block my side, what was a fifty shades of blue pinky toe the week before my qualifier, is now 3 weeks later fifty shades of blue and yellow foot still 3 weeks later. I have pretty much stopped running the last 2 weeks, will see how it feels moving forward, Comrades might just be a suffer fest this year.

Sorry to hear that you are out for now. Sometimes the rest helps in unexpected ways. Speedy recovery.

38 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

The one says contingency, I'm guessing in case Chapmans Peak is closed or protests in Hout Bay,

Yeah, they cleared it up -  not supposed to be up on the website.

The fact that the official one still says #TTOM2023 does keep you wondering what they do with fulltime staff there, hope they remembered to do everything else.

40 minutes ago, dave303e said:

aggee neee man! the one thing I keep on hearing is how staying injury free is more important than following a training plan to the T. Hope it can come right.

46 minutes ago, tjommies3 said:

Many will agree with you regarding the possible damage but fasting has been proven to benefit us in health, physically, mentally, spiritually and many other ways. Weight loss happens naturally, and is enhanced when training is added. If nobody believes me, I am proof thereof. I have no after effects from the 34km run, and I feel so good that I will try it again tomorrow but in cooler conditions starting around 05:30.

It isn't more important than your health because if you are sick, you are allowed to miss the necessary amount of days, and then make it up afterwards. If you have a chronic ailment that would require regular medication, you are exempt from fasting but you will make up for it in another way, mainly in the form of charity.

sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, if it works for you then by all means!

On 3/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, Vetplant said:

Friend of mine ran a 3h06 at N4 Trac Elands marathon. 

How do I break it to him that his efforts are in vain as it isn't recognised as a Comrades qualifying race :(

Nevermind, saw the answer a few pages on! 

Edited by Jackes

23 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

So, to add on to what I said yesterday, I tried the same 34km route this morning just before 6. What a difference the time of day made, conditions were perfect for what I wanted to do. There isn't much to say about the run except that it felt good, and I improved my time by just over 20 minutes. I'm done with this route now because there is a section from about 10km to 21km where it's climbing for about 80% of the section. My calves need some TLC. Next long runs will be on the weekend, easy back-to-back HMs.

been doing Adventure racing for the past decade or so, with the odd other event thrown in. Was excited to run 'naked' with no gear and just use aid stations for nutrition (coke and powerade).

but I figure that's probably not the best option, and looking at using gels with maybe top up from seconds.

What do you guys carry nutrition wise for comrades? and how?

will probably trial this at 2Oceans next weekend.