ScottCM

Stretch is definitely Silver medal material in my sometimes not as humble as it should be opinion 

Next year  :thumbup:

I'm definitely going to be looking at speed after Comrades, I'm not built for it with my short legs and not so petite build, but it's gonna be fun pushing it and trying anyway. Do the best with what you have been given and all that.

Goals for post Comrades - sub 4 marathon, sub 1:40 half and a sub 20 minute 5km

Bring on the pain

What's your current PB for those distances Andrew? :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Mine are:

Marathon - 5:35 (that did include a massive amount of walking as the knees were toast though.... CT Marathon 2016)

Half - 1:54 (OMTOM 2017)

5K - 22:02 (Greenpoint Parkrun 2016)

Fancy a challenge dude?? :whistling:

Edited by Tubehunter

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stretch is definitely Silver medal material in my sometimes not as humble as it should be opinion 

Next year  :thumbup:

I'm definitely going to be looking at speed after Comrades, I'm not built for it with my short legs and not so petite build, but it's gonna be fun pushing it and trying anyway. Do the best with what you have been given and all that.

Bring on the pain

For the past 3/4 weeks my main goal has been about getting speed back in to my legs(and training regime). This will be my aim for the next 4/5months. I've basically put all races, trail stage races included, on hold to put more quality into my training.

So my goals for the next 11 months are as follow:

Sub 3h30 marathon (PB is at 3h34, done on Deloitte Marathon in 2013)

Sub 2h30 32k and Tough One (PB is at 2h36)

On my wishlist is sub 32min 8k, 40min 10k (42min30 PB) and 90min 21.1k (PB on 1h36, so lots of work need to be done here).

if you can run 18.50 you can run 17.59 :whistling:

And if you can run 3.35 per km over 5kms you can run 3.45per km over 8kms..

Asics Sub 3 training program, google the pdf... if you follow that, the track work will get those times down and an easy sub3.

You right there already

:thumbup:  :thumbup: Shot a lot!

I'll be checking this out too! (Even though I'm not nearly ready for that kind of pace..... yet!)

Next year [emoji106]

Bring on the pain

You flatter me. To be honest...a sub 3 marathon would mean a helluva lot more to me I think

Mine are:

Marathon - 5:35 (that did include a massive amount of walking as the knees were toast though.... CT Marathon 2016)

I'll except that challenge if you don't mind?

Marathon - Not done one yet

HM - 1:51 Vaal Marathon 2017

5k - 21:46 Suncoast Parkrun 2017

Right! If the numbers change we publish and lets see who gets there first so to speak! A little extra motivation!

Good luck Scott!

So with all this "OFF" period training talk, how long do you rest after Comrades before you start running again?

Some of my fellow runners suggest 5 weeks... but I just can't get this right... Last year I wasn't running for 3 weeks and I could kill someone at work from frustration.

Mine are:

Lekker, it's on like Donkey kong

Marathon 4:16 at Vaal (although I ran an unofficial 4:09 at Two Oceans somewhere in the 56km)

Half 1:46 Cradle a couple years ago

5km Not actually sure, but around 23 minutes I'd guess

So with all this "OFF" period training talk, how long do you rest after Comrades before you start running again?

Some of my fellow runners suggest 5 weeks... but I just can't get this right... Last year I wasn't running for 3 weeks and I could kill someone at work from frustration.

I'll be hitting the bike within a couple weeks of Comrades... plan to keep running though too. Want to still run a 21km most months just to keep the base up. Will just enter what races I can... doing the Run the Berg in October and will aim for Soweto marathon as an end of year goal. Definitely looking forward to mixing it up a bit though 

I will be cycling a bit and be doing some trail running. But mostly cycling for about a month or so after the Comrades before I start running again. Or that's my plan. :whistling:  :ph34r:

So, just to show progress, and that anyone can run (if I can, anyone can). This is my current 5k PR, which is done on a track:

7 Feb --> 43:36

3 Mar --> 40:09

3 Apr --> 37:20

29 Apr --> 33:24

7 Feb was the first time I had ever run 5km and had no fitness base. My training is:

Tempo run on Tuesdays (around 5km)

Track session with speed work on Fridays (usually around 6 to 8km)

Long run on Sundays (longest run being 8km to date). 

Recently upped my program to the next level, so my program will be adding a Z2 run on Wednesdays. 

What are the odds I can shave off another 3 minutes in the next assessment?  :eek:

Edited by EmJayZA

So, just to show progress, and that anyone can run (if I can, anyone can). This is my current 5k PR, which is done on a track:

7 Feb --> 43:36

3 Mar --> 40:09

3 Apr --> 37:20

29 Apr --> 33:24

7 Feb was the first time I had ever run 5km and had no fitness base. My training is:

Tempo run on Tuesdays (around 5km)

Track session with speed work on Fridays (usually around 6 to 8km)

Long run on Sundays (longest run being 8km to date). 

Recently upped my program to the next level, so my program will be adding a Z2 run on Wednesdays. 

What are the odds I can shave off another 3 minutes in the next assessment? 

Wow, well done EmJay :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The is no better feeling than seeing your progress unfold in front​ of you. It's why I love strava because you can easily go back and analyse any activity in comparison to your current progress

you fast guys over the shorter distances [emoji36][emoji57]

I have a faster half, by a full 10 minutes but my 5 is slower by around a minute [emoji24]