ScottCM

Saturday was my last long run, finally. Now I will just do a Couple 21km on the weekends, and start reducing my Mileage.

Looking at my training log for previous years I ran my last 21km 3 weeks before Comrades.

I will stick to that this year as well.

I am running my last 21km this coming Saturday. My plan was to run the Pirates 21km reverse route on Sunday... but seeing that it is Mother's Day on Sunday and I have a bachelorette's Saturday night I think it is much wiser to not run on Sunday... :whistling:

I am also going for a weekly Neurobian injection up to Comrades and increasing the vitamin intake... It is also the start of the official "no kissing of family members" period.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO....I'm not so sure about that

This Course is a full 42.2kms, its circular... Its not down hill in elevation (so fully legal) and its outdoor so even though wind controlled you are still taking on some elements 

It is a short track loop, and as such as controlled as a marathon can be. They also put a 3 day window in place for the best conditions window.

The main reason its not going to be ratified is the pace makers coming in and out..

Correct which make a huge difference

Why is this "much" different to Paula Radcliffe's 2h15 ladies record... she was able to be  paced by stronger Men the entire way... The only problem here is there are no men strong enough to hold this pace for the required distance to help the top 3 enough.

Not recognised as an official WR as she was paced. That why they are having to sub the pacers in and out.. Further to this is the car out front. That laser was less to give them and indication of required pacing as it was the marker for optimal drafting. if they had used a cehicle that offered a bigger drafting benefit he may have actually done it. 

In my opinion this is a lot more LEGIT then people who have their marathon PBs or qualifiers over downhill races like Kaapsehoop Marathon etc...

Or Buff marathon, don't disagree but then i haven't seen anybody coming to either of those to set a WR. I could be wrong but I think there is some restriction on elevation difference for a WR performance. 

I know a lot of guys that would do a 5km downhill run and honestly think its ok calling it a PB..

Same as the 5 foot gimme in a round of golf. 

As for the Shoe debate over whether those are legit... I don't have enough expertise to comment

Agree, it is so hard to know the true benefit and IAAF still have to review and ratify the shoe anyway. 

JM in a touch under 1H48 mat - mat time.

It was great course, fast and flat for the first 10 and then the little down hill and then working the last 12km or so. Did 6km before and did another 4 afterwards. Legs felt like lead on sunday.

Well done all, every seems to be hitting their goals. 

Awesome time Edgar, you are on a roll!

What is your Comrades goal?

bluetooth ...yip

I reckon the 16 hours is for optimal performance...no HRM and no bluetooth

Agreed.   Normally I just add the HRM, have even been toying with the idea of not putting the strap on, as although it is nice to see how the HR comes down or what it does on certain races, it is not the primary thing I focus on.  

The bluetooth I definately want to put on during supported races, it is nice for the fam and friends to see how you are going.

Or Buff marathon, don't disagree but then i haven't seen anybody coming to either of those to set a WR. I could be wrong but I think there is some restriction on elevation difference for a WR performance. 

See below For a Marathon Course to be Ratified (as Boston Marathon even though fast is not legal)....  so far all Points were covered and legal on Saturdays run..

IMO The 2.4km Track and waiting for perfect conditions takes nothing away at all..

The Big Car Screen/Lasers etc were a little suspect to say the least.. The Pacers obviously helped but he still had to run a marathon..

Think we have to agree 2h00.25 was an unbelievable run in any conditions.

Not a World Record... But will change the course of Marathon running going forward..

The world governing body - IAAF has technical requirements for road racing courses to be considered record eligible.

This includes:

1. The course must be the accurate distance (at least 42195m). No problem here for Boston.

2. The course can not have a straight line distance from start to finish of greater then 50% of the total distance. This is called the "separation". Boston is at 92%

3. The "drop" in elevation from start to finish can not exceed 1 meter/kilometer. Boston is over 3 m/km

Looking at my training log for previous years I ran my last 21km 3 weeks before Comrades.

I will stick to that this year as well.

I am running my last 21km this coming Saturday. My plan was to run the Pirates 21km reverse route on Sunday... but seeing that it is Mother's Day on Sunday and I have a bachelorette's Saturday night I think it is much wiser to not run on Sunday... :whistling:

I am also going for a weekly Neurobian injection up to Comrades and increasing the vitamin intake... It is also the start of the official "no kissing of family members" period.

....a new definition of Comrades' widow/er! :whistling:

Ran the Deloitte marathon yesterday. Great route from Ballito to Durban finishing on the promenade. Some long drags and sometimes boring sections on the M4. Good wind for most of the run but other than that weather seemed perfect.

Ran along with two friends- two of us doing our first Comrades and one his first marathon. Plan was to simulate our target time through half way at Comrades with a 4h10 finish. Ran a steady pace throughout and hit our target spot on.

Was amazing how many people we passed from about 20km and how many people seemed to be running the marathon at a significantly faster pace than they would be capable of at Comrades. Obviously not everyone that ran will be doing Comrades but some people's pacing seemed rather hectic??

I did think I would be feeling far fresher at the finish running the slower pace (can run a comforatble 3h40 42km) and now am unsure if we were in fact running too slow or if it is best for Comrades??

Ran the Deloitte marathon yesterday. Great route from Ballito to Durban finishing on the promenade. Some long drags and sometimes boring sections on the M4. Good wind for most of the run but other than that weather seemed perfect.

Ran along with two friends- two of us doing our first Comrades and one his first marathon. Plan was to simulate our target time through half way at Comrades with a 4h10 finish. Ran a steady pace throughout and hit our target spot on.

Was amazing how many people we passed from about 20km and how many people seemed to be running the marathon at a significantly faster pace than they would be capable of at Comrades. Obviously not everyone that ran will be doing Comrades but some people's pacing seemed rather hectic??

I did think I would be feeling far fresher at the finish running the slower pace (can run a comforatble 3h40 42km) and now am unsure if we were in fact running too slow or if it is best for Comrades??

ja....we were at fault with that. I wanted to run a slow training run..but got pulled in by my mates.

with regards to not feeling as fresh as you planned at 42...well - thats just the mind...you are as fresh as the distance you have to complete. Comrades you will be mentally prepared for 87...so when you go through 44 you will know that you are only halfway and naturally feel fresher

Awesome time Edgar, you are on a roll!

What is your Comrades goal?

To finish.

Putting everything on the line for a Silver, so it will either be that or nowhere near it. None of this missing it by a few minutes. 

To finish.

Putting everything on the line for a Silver, so it will either be that or nowhere near it. None of this missing it by a few minutes. 

ha ha

my one mate ran a 8:37 on his first comrades...then on his second he went through half in 3:58...and ended up coming in 10:30 something...those 10 odd minutes too fast just destroyed him

What's everyone's plans for the splits...?

I'm gunning for half way in 5, gives me 6 hours for the second half and my 'goal' of a sub 11 Bronze

I may well though care absolutely buggerall about time come 70km's and happily accept the long trudge to the finish and a glorious 11:59.59 finishing time. Guess I will find out on the day

To finish.

You're definitely good for that Silver from where I am standing... it's always a big ask on the day, but you've prepped as well as you can, the rest comes down to the day. Hope you nail it

What's everyone's plans for the splits...?

I'm gunning for half way in 5, gives me 6 hours for the second half and my 'goal' of a sub 11 Bronze

I may well though care absolutely buggerall about time come 70km's and happily accept the long trudge to the finish and a glorious 11:59.59 finishing time. Guess I will find out on the day

The plan is also under 5 hours for the first half and then to see what happens in the second half. This year is the "no time pressure" Comrades for me, I am aware that my training didn't go as planned so having unrealistic time goals are not worth stressing about. I enjoyed my previous up run, so I hope this year will be the same. 

You're definitely good for that Silver from where I am standing... it's always a big ask on the day, but you've prepped as well as you can, the rest comes down to the day. Hope you nail it

Couldn't agree more!! It all depends on the day. 

Considering our situation...

1. To finish

2. within the 12 hours.

I'm not sure it's going to help to have in split plan in my case, considering the elevation situation of the first 42...     But I guess 05:30 for halfway?

I'm trying to keep my mind of C with focus on other crazy things, as I think I'm starting to stress....  Has anybody here done Rhodes Run before? Contemplating.....

Edited by Jackes

2015:

4:29 odd

4:28 odd

finish: 8:58:35

4:11:40

4:26.45

finish: 8:38:25

2017:

4:10 - 4:15

4:10 - 4:15

That's some serious 'keeping it together' stuff you got Stretch... might have to re-anoint you as Sir Pace Master