ScottCM

my sniffles are just not going away

gonna do a run tomorrow morning and then take thurs fri off

Going to see how the heart rate feels on an easy 8km today and then make a call. It's irritating, doesn't seem to get any worse but doesn't want to go away either.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to see how the heart rate feels on an easy 8km today and then make a call. It's irritating, doesn't seem to get any worse but doesn't want to go away either.

Sounds like my whole of March/April... PND for days. Swear I was losing weight through my nose!

Stay/Get healthy guys... the sooner the better. One risk you absolutely cannot take is starting with flu.

Anybody running the JURA this weekend? I'll be manning the Anatomic waterpoint around 3km's in... 

Ran it last year, very lekker event - Pity about the date being so close to Comrades, but it is what it is I guess 

Skipped my run yesterday... legs just not feeling great and got a few minor niggles here and there - thinking it's cotton wool time. Will definitely just get in a short easy trot or two for the minds sake, but that will be that. Just over 600kms for the year. Minimal mileage, but still by some distance my best Comrades prep... Good old amateur hour  :D

Hey , i've done 512km this year with my longest being Colgate. Next year i'll be there at the start line with you

Hey , i've done 512km this year with my longest being Colgate. Next year i'll be there at the start line with you

Maybe I'll join in....

Wait, that's a down run ????

Maybe 2019 then....

I'm really looking forward to watching it again this year

Hope we have bad weather here on the day then I can justify sitting on the couch all day

Maybe I'll join in....

Wait, that's a down run

Maybe 2019 then....

I'm really looking forward to watching it again this year

Hope we have bad weather here on the day then I can justify sitting on the couch all day

You're not running?  :mellow: 

I never got the memo...

Permission declined... you've got 4 good days training left soldier, make them count  :devil:

So for all you chaps struggling with the idea of tapering I've decided to attempt running the Comrades distance over a week, seeing as I'm not doing it. Lets see if I can do 88 kays in 7 days and get a glimpse of what you'll be going through! Gonna aim for slow and steady, as it will be 20 kays more than I ever have done in a week before! I'm on 491 clicks for this year, so should have enough base to take this on!

You guys put your feet up and recover while I put mine down! :thumbup:

I have over the past years accumulated a number of numbers that help me set up a training programme.  I would like some comment on this:

33km a week:  Minimum km required to lose weight (Runners World May 2017)

50-55km a week:  minimum km a week to prevent temporary heart weakness (THW) after a marathon (peak training for three weeks)

72km a week:  no signs of THW after a marathon (peak training for three weeks)

85-90km a week:  point of diminishing returns from training, and increased chance of over training and/or injury.

Rule of thumb, for more than a marathon upwards you should peak (KM/week) at the distance you are planning to race

For 32 to marathon peak (KM/week) at twice the distance

or 21 and less, peak (KM/week) at three times the distance

Recovery is a day per km raced.

Taper is still not number crunched yet

I have over the past years accumulated a number of numbers that help me set up a training programme.  I would like some comment on this:

33km a week:  Minimum km required to lose weight (Runners World May 2017)

50-55km a week:  minimum km a week to prevent temporary heart weakness (THW) after a marathon (peak training for three weeks)

72km a week:  no signs of THW after a marathon (peak training for three weeks)

85-90km a week:  point of diminishing returns from training, and increased chance of over training and/or injury.

Rule of thumb, for more than a marathon upwards you should peak (KM/week) at the distance you are planning to race

For 32 to marathon peak (KM/week) at twice the distance

or 21 and less, peak (KM/week) at three times the distance

Recovery is a day per km raced.

Taper is still not number crunched yet

I really don't know enough about running to comment on most of those but my instinct would tell me that the type of training is far more important than the numbers. I also think different people reap rewards at different weekly mileages. Some guys are going to run themselves to pieces on 160km a week but I know of others who thrive and run sub 7 hour Comrades. The recovery of one day per km raced also sounds a bit overkill.

I really don't know enough about running to comment on most of those but my instinct would tell me that the type of training is far more important than the numbers. I also think different people reap rewards at different weekly mileages. Some guys are going to run themselves to pieces on 160km a week but I know of others who thrive and run sub 7 hour Comrades. The recovery of one day per km raced also sounds a bit overkill.

I have heard the same as a matter of interest

That's great news... 86 days of couch time await  :ph34r:

Surely it's an hour for each km raced?

lol...you dont race comrades though..........

that fact is for when your heart rate goes into the red consistently.

but screw that..I am well looking forward to 86 days of couch time!

That's great news... 86 days of couch time await  :ph34r:

Surely it's an hour for each km raced?

Yay, just in time for TdF!! and Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

A day per km raced recovery would surely relate to the PROs and their ability to tackle their next race with the same racing intensity? (Or any amateur racer who is looking to give an all out effort in a particular event for that matter)

had a little trip and fall in the dark this morning...luckily nothing hurt...but my heart skipped about seventy beats