ScottCM

I sometimes use the race finish time function as it can predict you race finish time if you have put in the distance and will adjust it accordingly based on your pace.  Other than that is much the same as runner window.  I guess using virtual pacer on your second screen will give you much the same info with regard to finish time.

That's actually a nice option, Shaper. I'm using a Forerunner 235 and I'm wondering if running two Connect IQ apps will drain the battery over the course of Comrades so if I can consolidate the most important features then that would be ideal.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your guys thoughts on driving the route the day before?

I've never done it, but my mate who's doing his first reckons it's a good plan...

The wife's still undecided

there is a list of 10 things to not do...and driving the route is one of them

edit...well apparently it is not on that list (http://www.runnersworld.co.za/comrades/13-ways-to-ruin-your-comrades/)     so no worries...

I drive it regularly enough to know exactly where it is gonna hurt

Edited by Stretch

there is a list of 10 things to not do...and driving the route is one of them

edit...well apparently it is not on that list (http://www.runnersworld.co.za/comrades/13-ways-to-ruin-your-comrades/)     so no worries...

I drive it regularly enough to know exactly where it is gonna hurt

I'm going in with the ignorance is bliss approach. I know there are hills, I know it's going to hurt. How much and where is what I'm going to discover on the day.

I sometimes use the race finish time function as it can predict you race finish time if you have put in the distance and will adjust it accordingly based on your pace.  Other than that is much the same as runner window.  I guess using virtual pacer on your second screen will give you much the same info with regard to finish time.

does this require you to press the lap button everytime you pass an official km marker? - that would drive me nuts!

edit - i see our friend DC has a full review of it

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/pacing-races-garmin.html

Edited by Stretch

I'm going in with the ignorance is bliss approach. I know there are hills, I know it's going to hurt. How much and where is what I'm going to discover on the day.

just be prepared for a pathetic little hill called fairfield ave in the last mile..its not even as bad as Jesmond Road..but it will still knock you back to a walk!

just be prepared for a pathetic little hill called fairfield ave in the last mile..its not even as bad as Jesmond Road..but it will still knock you back to a walk!

Haha, so the top of Polly's is no time for me to celebrate?

Haha, so the top of Polly's is no time for me to celebrate?

murray road to the finish is in between the yellow. That first little hill is a little down and then up as you turn into murray..you will walk that...and the second one is fairfield..

apart from those it is all downhill except for a tiny little incline for a fraction on cleland road

post-7169-0-52743000-1495788005_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stretch

Your guys thoughts on driving the route the day before?

I've never done it, but my mate who's doing his first reckons it's a good plan...

The wife's still undecided

I'd say a big no. Unless you're driving it the wrong direction. If you have to drive Durbs-PMB-Durbs that's a looong time cramped in a car the day before you want to run.

I'd say a big no. Unless you're driving it the wrong direction. If you have to drive Durbs-PMB-Durbs that's a looong time cramped in a car the day before you want to run.

A definite NO!! I posted an article of Graham explaining the route, especially the 5 major climbs.

If you read that you are well enough prepared.

murray road to the finish is in between the yellow. That first little hill is a little down and then up as you turn into murray..you will walk that...and the second one is fairfield..

apart from those it is all downhill except for a tiny little incline for a fraction on cleland road

attachicon.gifmurraytofinish.JPG

I will never forget my previous up run, which was my first up run. I thought I am all done climbing when I got to the top of Polly's... I got a nasty surprise as there are some "bumps" in the last 8kms. 

does this require you to press the lap button everytime you pass an official km marker? - that would drive me nuts!

edit - i see our friend DC has a full review of it

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/pacing-races-garmin.html

Stop posting these sort of tips  :wacko:  You guys are not helping... I am seriously considering getting a new watch after Comrades. My Forerunner 620 is not compatible with Connect IQ and the battery only lasts 10 hours.

So I guess I will have to set a time goal for myself for Comrades (which I haven't done as yet)

and if I reach the goal I can reward myself with a new watch (Yes, this is how I justify buying a new watch  :whistling: )

Stop posting these sort of tips  :wacko:  You guys are not helping... I am seriously considering getting a new watch after Comrades. My Forerunner 620 is not compatible with Connect IQ and the battery only lasts 10 hours.

So I guess I will have to set a time goal for myself for Comrades (which I haven't done as yet)

and if I reach the goal I can reward myself with a new watch (Yes, this is how I justify buying a new watch  :whistling: )

Just do what i did.

I used to run comrades with my Bryton in my back pocket and just have a stopwatch.I then went hiking in the berg and accidentally dropped it between a pile of boulders...impossible to be retrieved..with no bike gps now, I was FORCED to buy a new GPS watch!

i drove the route before all my runs and found it helped me hold back during the race as i knew what was awaiting me ahead so i recommend it.

with regards to the many long steep hills in the race, nothing to worry about,the only thing to worry about and by far the hardest part of the entire race is those scaffolding stairs they erect as you exit the stadium after you complete the race. goodluck with it you have been warned

I'm all for driving the route, being familiar with it, being more reserved than brave due to the frightening nature of this particular one, in fact I would rather want to know exactly where I am and what is left, than being in the dark.   BUT not the day before....

Agree with the above posters. Drive the route if you wish but NOT the day before. Thursday or Friday at the latest.