ScottCM

Should I attempt the 90 mins slow run this weekend, see how it goes and stop as soon as I feel the itb?  Or really stick to the NOTHING at all?

go to a grass track and run laps if you feel like you mentally feel like you need to run. Grass reduces the effect of runners knee and ITB. By running laps you can also stop if you need to.

My first I got runners knee  at the end of April - so did almost everything on grass in May. Other tip when on Road is to run where this is as little camber as possible (middle of the road usually) - this is particularly true for comrades

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, I had Malaria before my very first Comrades, and rested 2 weeks, and sill finished it. :thumbup:

I am so Happy to be running less nowadays. :clap: .

Then i don't want to know how many miles you use to run

Was my club pre-Comrades breakfast yesterday... this is why I love running for a proper club.

We had breakfast at an old club legends house yesterday, Richard Mcevoy... he ran 22 consecutive silvers in his heyday. 22 Silvers in a row! PB of just over 6 hours. I've met him a few times over the years, he doesn't run as much anymore - his last attempt was 4/5 years ago when him and Bruce Fordyce missed Silver by just a couple minutes. But he still welcomed me and my family into his home like old friends. Our 9am breakfast finished just before 5pm, we listened to his and many other of the old club legends stories - we've got a few dozen members with over 20 in the bag... one hoping to get his triple green this year. This event and it's history is just something next level.

Two weeks today we will all be celebrating adding our tiny little dot of magic to the incredible history of this great event.  Can't wait.

Then i don't want to know how many miles you use to run

Not a lot. I was still a rookie. Jeez, think I was like 20 or 21. 28-30km was my Max run on a weekend. If I can recall correctly I did like 60-70KM per week. We didn't have GPS watched back then, so we had to manually pen it in our log books. :eek:

Was my club pre-Comrades breakfast yesterday... this is why I love running for a proper club.

We had breakfast at an old club legends house yesterday, Richard Mcevoy... he ran 22 consecutive silvers in his heyday. 22 Silvers in a row! PB of just over 6 hours. I've met him a few times over the years, he doesn't run as much anymore - his last attempt was 4/5 years ago when him and Bruce Fordyce missed Silver by just a couple minutes. But he still welcomed me and my family into his home like old friends. Our 9am breakfast finished just before 5pm, we listened to his and many other of the old club legends stories - we've got a few dozen members with over 20 in the bag... one hoping to get his triple green this year. This event and it's history is just something next level.

Two weeks today we will all be celebrating adding our tiny little dot of magic to the incredible history of this great event.  Can't wait.

Wow, amazing.

Other tip when on Road is to run where this is as little camber as possible (middle of the road usually) - this is particularly true for comrades

Camber is an itb killer. I still switch to different sides of the road every km or so. Or just run on the white line.

Edited by Mudsimus

Camber is an itb killer. I still switch to different sides of the road every km or so. Or just run on the white line.

Yeah, I swear I did about 5/6km in the gutter or pavement at Two Oceans as that was the flattest area... find the flats, whatever it takes. Botha's hill (It's Cowies, not Bothas) if my memory serves has a particularly *** camber.

Edited by Andrew Steer

How many folk will be traveling to the Comrades start from the Midlands area (Pmb/Hilton/Howick etc) on the morning of the race?

Or are the majority of runners staying in the Durban area?

Am in two minds about trying to find a place in Durban - maybe wishful thinking at this stage- for the Saturday night or stay in my own bed and lose an hour of sleep.

Hey guys, so again I've got a quick question. My company has a treadmill in the gym, and some days I just can't get a run in before work and after work I'm just a bit lazy to go out after 7pm.

I've read that if you set the incline to 1% its similar to outdoor runs, so could you do your longer weekly runs on the treadmill?

Go Doctor... will give you a weeks course to clear it, probably antibiotics and sinus tablets. You still have time. I have tried the self medication route before a few of my ironman events, doesn't clear it fully. Now if I have any sign of flu like symptoms 7-10 days before a race will get something from the Doc.

Scour the internet until you find a diagnosis that says you're absolutely fine to run.

Hey guys, so again I've got a quick question. My company has a treadmill in the gym, and some days I just can't get a run in before work and after work I'm just a bit lazy to go out after 7pm.

I've read that if you set the incline to 1% its similar to outdoor runs, so could you do your longer weekly runs on the treadmill?

I use the treadmill for speed work, intervals.... can be mind boringly numb doing doing long runs... but very good for interval training and hill work (which can also be programmed into the interval workout).... and makes an hour go very quickly.

I do at least 1 speed work session a week on the treadmill

you cannot get the same workout on a treadmill as you can on the road. My theory is only use it as a last resort or as part of your overall program. If you can get out and run..then do it

Depends on the make. Most cheapies ie Trojan have a standard incline of almost 3%, wich cant be adjusted. The proper treadmills can be adjusted from 0% upwards. Edited by Mudsimus

How many folk will be traveling to the Comrades start from the Midlands area (Pmb/Hilton/Howick etc) on the morning of the race?

Or are the majority of runners staying in the Durban area?

Am in two minds about trying to find a place in Durban - maybe wishful thinking at this stage- for the Saturday night or stay in my own bed and lose an hour of sleep.

i head down to my mates place in everton...that extra 30 -45 min sleep is like gold!

you cannot get the same workout on a treadmill as you can on the road. My theory is only use it as a last resort or as part of your overall program. If you can get out and run..then do it

Agreed, it's better than nothing... but it won't prepare your legs for the jarring you will get out on the road. That's pretty crucial in my view.