ScottCM

Ja but still, that gave you 3 months to enter! And they gave numerous notifications on multiple platforms that entries are getting low.

And amazing how many people started whining that they actually wanted to enter but now it's sold out - the day after it was sold out. Sorry, that just grinds me. For crying out loud, you know you want to run. Enter. Why do you want to wait for Feb to enter? You had 3 months. And warnings. Now you moan?

(You is not "you", Jackes!) 

Edited by SeaBee

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(You is not "you", Jackes!) 

Agreed.   I entered both on 01/09.

What I wanted to say is exactly that.   Don't sleep, because when you wake up, it is too late.

At what heart rate vs your max are you in dangerous territory of damaging your heart muscle?  Or is it not as simple as that, as a number?

I'm a bit concerned about what I did to myself without noticing a few weeks back.  Only after I saw my heart rate profile and almost got a heart attack just looking at it, compared to what it normally is.   It was exactly a week after I took antibiotics and I was obviously still sick in hindsight.

Now I have been just focusing on exercises to sort out this itb and it is concerning how seriously out of breath I am of just a few lunges etc.   Now hopefully it is just unfitness, but I would be lying if I said I'm not a bit worried.

How far out from your first marathon should one start stressing if you have not been able to start training because of injury and have been off for over a month?

Like soweto is 100 days and i have been off for 40 days and counting, so say at 80 days out with 60 days off at what ratio would i need to consider postponing my first marathon to another event?

80/60, 70/70 , 60/80, 50/90, 40/100 ???

How far out from your first marathon should one start stressing if you have not been able to start training because of injury and have been off for over a month?

Like soweto is 100 days and i have been off for 40 days and counting, so say at 80 days out with 60 days off at what ratio would i need to consider postponing my first marathon to another event?

80/60, 70/70 , 60/80, 50/90, 40/100 ???

Sorry you're still being plagued by this thing, Scott. 12 weeks is normally considered acceptable prep for a marathon isn't it? Have you managed to keep your base fitness?

Just saw the Hoka Clifton's now on Sportsmans website.  Impressed with the price compared to what you pay for shoes like a pair of Nimbus these days!

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/hoka-one-one-clifton-4/4498

Yeah, they make the Nimbus feel like heavy rubber sandals as well. I suspect you'll probably get less mileage out of them. 800 - 1000km out of the Nimbus seems to be the norm but maybe only 500-600 out of the Cliftons (I stand to be corrected by other guys who own the shoe, though). So bear that in mind when looking at the price. I'm still no fan of the current Nimbus.

Edited by Barry Stuart

I'd say two months solid prep would be enough to get back up to completing a Marathon distance in decent shape... two weeks to dust off the cobwebs and get up to speed and then progress on from there.  

I've entered Wanderers 21km already... with the speed our race sold out I suspect all these Vitality race series events are going to be in big demand... Great to see the sport is booming so nicely, although I do miss the casual nature of a couple years back when you could rock up at 90% of races and enter on the morning 

Yeah, they make the Nimbus feel like heavy rubber sandals as well. I suspect you'll probably get less mileage out of them. 800 - 1000km out of the Nimbus seems to be the norm but maybe only 500-600 out of the Cliftons (I stand to be corrected by other guys who own the shoe, though). So bear that in mind when looking at the price. I'm still no fan of the current Nimbus.

I really feel like giving them a go, but damn its ugly.

Sorry you're still being plagued by this thing, Scott. 12 weeks is normally considered acceptable prep for a marathon isn't it? Have you managed to keep your base fitness?

Nope, been totally off. will try and get on the IDT and spin the legs from this weekend to get get something done but this week walking up the stair has been an issue. 

I'd say two months solid prep would be enough to get back up to completing a Marathon distance in decent shape... two weeks to dust off the cobwebs and get up to speed and then progress on from there.  

60 days you say, thanks bud. puts my mind at ease. gives me 40 days to get it sorted out.  only need to do sub 5 for soweto and then can go for a faster time at Johnson in Jan if need be. 

Nope, been totally off. will try and get on the IDT and spin the legs from this weekend to get get something done but this week walking up the stair has been an issue. 

60 days you say, thanks bud. puts my mind at ease. gives me 40 days to get it sorted out.  only need to do sub 5 for soweto and then can go for a faster time at Johnson in Jan if need be. 

My advice is more about getting through it and keeping in mind you ran 30km in just over three hours not that long ago, it's really not much more of a step up from here.

You frankly could just as well of gone on and done those extra 12km's the day we did Colgate. Those last 12km's are as much in the head as the legs. It's always new territory as we don't train nearly as long as that distance. Most of us stick at 21 and under.

If you want to run a good time though the 12 weeks Barry mentioned is a better option - gradual build up is always a winner  :thumbup:

My Kaapsehoop training starts this weekend - finally healthy and ready to get going again - have enjoyed my sabbatical, but it's definitely time  :blush:

I really feel like giving them a go, but damn its ugly.

Yeah, not a lot of understated shoes going around at the moment. I think Adidas have managed to keep it pretty subtle with some of their range.

My advice is more about getting through it and keeping in mind you ran 30km in just over three hours not that long ago, it's really not much more of a step up from here.

You frankly could just as well of gone on and done those extra 12km's the day we did Colgate. Those last 12km's are as much in the head as the legs. It's always new territory as we don't train nearly as long as that distance. Most of us stick at 21 and under.

If you want to run a good time though the 12 weeks Barry mentioned is a better option - gradual build up is always a winner  :thumbup:

My Kaapsehoop training starts this weekend - finally healthy and ready to get going again - have enjoyed my sabbatical, but it's definitely time  :blush:

Same here. Zwartkops 10km tomorrow morning and then onto the marathon training. Was going to use Old Eds as a marathon pace 21km run but, as you mentioned, sold out. That's going to be a much tougher training run to do on my own now, way easier in a crowd.