ScottCM

Sooo, decided to give Comrades a bash next year! Time to get training!

Races entered so far:

6th August - Vitality Series - Old Eds 21.1km 

27th August - Vitality Series - Wanderers 21.1km

4th November - Kaapsehoop 42.2km **Comrades Qualifier**

Same plan here - if I don't break before I get there

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same plan here - if I don't break before I get there

:blink: I feel you! My running fitness is okay at the moment but my worry is over training. Just want to get a good time for the comrades qualifier...hopefully sub 4hr marathon

Edited by Gringo111

Hey guys. Is there a way to get my Fenix 3 to vibrate or beep every 100m or so, so that I can use it to do intervals without constantly looking at the watch?

Hey guys. Is there a way to get my Fenix 3 to vibrate or beep every 100m or so, so that I can use it to do intervals without constantly looking at the watch?

some street lightsbare 50m apart. Use that maybe. You also get concrete pillars on the side of some roads that are marked every 100m

The Fenix has an Intervals Program built in.

Go to Training, then Intervals (on your watch)... You can set in 100m on 100m off x as many Reps as you want and include a Pre warmup and post Cool down.,

The watch will do the rest Beeping you in and out of each Repetition.

Works Great for Track work.

Edited by Ferret69

Mudsimus, then my buddy just had a bad pair, I presume. (Though I've heard other people complaining about this as well.) Both his shoes tore at the "fold" on the upper within a couple of runs of each other.?

No there is definately an issue with the durabilty of the upper, but normal wear wont damage them. The problem is that they really dont like rocks, a small knick will tear open quickly.

Stupid question, when does Comrades entries open? And is it the same struggle to get in as omtom?

1 Sept. Nope easy to enter.

Stupid question, when does Comrades entries open? And is it the same struggle to get in as omtom?

1 September 2017.... and No normally no major rush as long as you in before end November-ish

What's the drop on the shoes you usually run in? Because if you're not used to low-drop (6mm or lower) shoes, most of my advice will be relatively worthless... or you must convert to these shoes with caution.

Firstly - if dirt road running is what you're most likely going to be doing, why not stick with the road shoes? Or get some road shoes with a bit more tread than some of the completely flat-soled ones. 

If not, why not try some of Salomon cross-over range, which is suited to both. (And I also think they have a higher drop, if you're more accustomed to that.)

I also run in Salomon Sense Pro's (the original version), which has very little tread - 6mm drop. Sense Pro's 2's uppers are really dodgy, so stay away from them - and they have a much more blocked tread. But fully agree on the stance that the more racy shoes do not last. My Sense Pro (not my go-to shoe of late) has I think more than 700k's (of trail running!) behind them and still looks good. Friend of mine "works" his front foot a lot and he bald-patched his front foot area in about 650. Both of our uppers are fine. He then bought the 2's and got uppers torn after 200. Then went to Brooks Mazama, which is a very very similar shoe to the Sense Pro (original) and still using it. So that may be something to consider as well. (I know some guys that swear by Brooks Cascadia as well, but heard they are pretty narrow.) The Mazama comes in a pretty shocking yellow. And ironically two ladies also run in them in my regular group. Their shocking red-pink option is (to me at least!) much better looking than the yellow... but that's just looks.

The old Mantra's are pretty darn close to road shoes as well, but you don't get them any more. I's personally have loved a pair of those.

I run a lot in Altra Superior 2's, but they do not like hardpack. Mine is wearing down on the knobs rather rapidly. But look at Altra if you want the widest shoes available - maybe another model/or road shoe. Super super comfy - somebody recently called them "the crocs of running!" (I also train in their Instinct road shoe). Zero drop on Altra's, so beware of this!

My preferred shoe - I love them! - is Saucony Peregrines. 4mm drop, wicked grip (which you won't need and my feet just love them - well, for that matter between Altra and Saucony, my feet seem to be very happy. I use the old 5's obtained in yellow ticket sale, think they're up to model 7 now, so not sure what the changes are that was made. 

NB also make some awesome trail shoes, some also with relatively smoother tread. And their toe boxes are usually also nice and wide. Think they have a Leadville trail shoe that had less tread on it than the road shoes I used back then from them, but I presume with more protection.

And still, I have not had experience in the Inov-8's, but have not heard anything bad from them.

May think of more stuff as the day goes on and/or other comments come in.

Thanks, SeaBee, that's comprehensive. I think your advice regarding the heel drop is sadly spot on. Going from an 8mm road shoe to a 4mm trail could end in an achilles injury so probably better to err on the side of caution to begin with.

The Fenix has an Intervals Program built in.

Go to Training, then Intervals (on your watch)... You can set in 100m on 100m off x as many Reps as you want and include a Pre warmup and post Cool down.,

The watch will do the rest Beeping you in and out of each Repetition.

Works Great for Track work.

Awesome! Thanks!

What is this Comrades talk going on here?? :eek:

This is way too early for me... I am still hibernating, struggling to get the training going. 

Never to early to talk about the Comrades lol. :clap:  :thumbup:

As Lexx said, 1 Sept, same day as Omtom entries open, so I don't want to hear excuses of you only went halfway and only entered for the one of two.

Also, Omtom is no struggle to enter, just as easy as Comrades  It's only a struggle if you enter for the pantsy less than half Omtom via the ballot system.. :devil:

Edited by Jackes

1 September 2017.... and No normally no major rush as long as you in before end November-ish

Last year it sold out in the first week of Nov IIRC, in record breaking time.     It may have had something to do with the 21-ballot system, perhaps forcing people to go upwards to the 56 and know they are entered?